Model Cars Magazine Forum

Overhaulin' Project: Monogram 1939 Chevy Coupe. Opinions requested.

larman

I have decided to do an Overhaulin' or Garage Squad type resto of this old '39 Chevy I built back around 1985 or '86, when I was 15 or so. It is painted with 80's era Testors "New Car Colors" paint. I believe the color was Black Cherry with a clear coat. Over time, it seemed to have yellowed a bit and is almost more brownish now. It also has a lot of dated stuff like the American Racing Champ wheels, fad van-like seats and I added felt carpet mats and wood pieces on the door panels for some reason. Even right after I built it, I was kind of annoyed with it. It wasn't bad, it just didn't do anything for me. It sat in the box for years, and I thought about redoing a number of times, but never did. Now I will have a little bit of time at Christmas, so I think I will finally do something with it. I will keep the paint, it's not too bad, there are a few blemishes I will polish out. The problem is I don't know which direction I will go with it, so I have narrowed it down to 2 choices and would like input from my fellow modellers! So here are the options:

Option A:
Classic street rod, replace the current wheel/tire combo with big and littles on 5 spoke Americans, better rake, small block engine, replace seats with more modern buckets, clean up door panels and modernize the interior.

Option B:
60's gasser, same American 5 spoke wheels on slicks and skinny fronts, gasser stance, already has a straight axle (would raise it up a bit and the rear too), switch out rear end for something more heavy duty. Traction bars, 283/4speed from a Monogram '57 Corvette with Hilborn injection and homemade fenderwell headers. Drag seats, simple rollbar. Not sure if the color is great for this option, but I would add some lettering, numbers and sponsor logos.

I also have 2 or 3 of these unbuilt. So I could build whatever version I don't do here with one of those. If you would like to share your opinion, it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

20211204_214836.jpg

20211204_214919.jpg

20211204_214948.jpg

20211204_215004.jpg

Edited by larman

I like your street rod idea but how about taking it a step further and doing a kindig style build. Maybe a revell camaro zl1 donor for the engine wheels brakes and seats  with some cleaning of the body, eg. one piece side glass, reshape the rear of the roof to lose the humpy look it has and maybe move the rear lights onto the fenders and you'd have a pretty clean stylish rod and it would even work in the brown the paint faded to for continuity

I´m ot a great fan of the gasser-style, so I would choose option A. For a new wheel/tire combo as for new seats I'm thinking of some classic parts from the Revell Deuce. Or if you want to go for a more modern look the Revell Ford F-1 Pickup or the Foose Cadillac has some nice wheels and seats that would look cool...

I'm with Oliver.  I like the ol Gassers.  You already have the straignt axle up front so loose the hood and jack it up in the front ( no higher than 24" from the center of the crank to the ground) and tub the ass end for those big ol meats.  Kinda like this one.  Make it mean looking.  

39 Gasser.jpg

I would go with the Gasser option because the lack of side panels for the hood is much better suited to a gasser than a street rod.  Do the street rod option on one of your new kits after scaring up a full hood from the Monogram 39 Sedan Delivery kit.

Lose the antenna from the cowl and just pop a couple of pinheads in the holes - far less glaring than the antenna.  Remove the rear bumper and add a polished aluminium tubing bumper instead.  The blown big block is fine but tone done the rocker covers with a very dull and textured grey alloy finish - maybe grey primer sprayed from a distance and washed with Tamiya Panel Line Accent. Considering the era for a gasser with a big block, I would go for some fat-ish M&H or Goodyear slicks rather than piecrusts. PArt of me says if it was mine, I would remove the front bumper and hang a Moon tank out there on some brackets with obvious fuel lines tucking back under the fender.

American 5 spokes are my favourite mag wheel ( I have them on my real rod) but Cragar S/S would be perfect for this one, especially with the dark paint.

Try and find a decal sheet with a lot of gold leaf signage -it would really pop on your rootbeer paint.

Cheers

Alan

On 12/5/2021 at 7:01 AM, Painted Black said:

I would save it just as it is, its your history.. enjoy it. Build a different one.  My opinion..

I agree with RRPjr.  If you have 2 or 3 unbuilt…don’t molest this fine example until you run out of stock.🤔

Thanks for all the comments!  I posted this here and on the Spotlight Hobbies board and while the majority opinion here seems to be to go the gasser route, the overall opinion seems to be to just let it alone. So, I believe that is what I will do. I think I will fix the things that need to be repaired, clean and polish it. I might switch the wheels because I really don't like the ones that are on it now.  I have 1 sealed kit, another that is unbuilt but is missing a few things and a salvageable built up, so I will build a gasser from one of those. 

• Like 1

I would go the gasser route because there's more room for creativity. I like street rods but they are kinda boring. With a model you can go wild with no penalty like a real one, as in "this car is so weird nobody will ever buy it" scenario.  Case in point: check out this AMT 37 Chevy coupe I built (with a Modelhaus 38 conversion) Go wild with the paint and put some cool decals on it. Heck, it already has a blown BBC, so you're good in the engine department. 

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

Edited by Dan Hay

On 12/10/2021 at 2:27 AM, bisc63 said:

A long while back I did one as a low-buck home-brew kind of racer, I think this body just hot rods beautifully. If you want to take a look:

Okay,  since we're dragging out old builds of the Monogram `39 Chevy kit, here's mine. It was done oob with a little detailing on the engine. I built it around `86-`87 - in my early 30s.

It's fairly consistent with my current build quality but no foil or paint finishing. It's probably either Testor's  or some department store rattle can paint.  Ignition wires are sewing thread and fuel line looks like 14 GA. Romex (what was found laying around in the cellar).

I looked at the above gasser and I think this is how I would like to renovate my ''resto-rod''. I don't have an emotional attachment to mine and it's good gasser material. Larman, above, was 15 when he built his so keeping it as is, as advised by Painted Black and others, makes sense. For me, gasser is the only way to go with mine. The black paint job on mine would polish out well I think. It's just that breaking it down might result in a 💩 show. There may be some breakages  but I won't know till I try. Larman, you got me started so whatever happens, I'm blaming you. 😁IMG_20211211_065326.thumb.jpg.32089cc9ce59c0b6427d2271b51ad808.jpgIMG_20211211_065341.thumb.jpg.1d65d161d70e0196ff3fcd7ad6ed6446.jpgIMG_20211211_065509.jpg.ac1cd8f9d21f71aab3cb9b625474b1cc.jpgIMG_20211211_065623.jpg.7b6ed4a224cf8169b610b0ecb6679094.jpg