Model Cars Magazine Forum

Agora 1/8 1965 Shelby Cobra SC

I've had this finished for a bit, but due to its size and the kind of lights I have, it's difficult for me to get halfway decent pics as opposed to my little "studio" setup I have for the much smaller stuff. Anyway, here are some pics of what she looks like now. As I've mentioned before in other threads, kits like this are not for the beginner at all and dare I say, they're geared more to the advanced builder as there are certain skills you'll need to deal with different assembly issues. Screw together construction notwithstanding...........there were steps that were particularly difficult to get done.

While the sun was shining bright in the room, I figured I'd better take advantage of the morning sun and grab a few pics. ;)

Here are a few just as it was pretty much done on my work table..........

Cobra4.png.5975eb9679d16b876e7a8cfc4abc0faa.png
Cobra5.png.33d4ce4e422fc0c1948a953a1918ffd4.png
Cobra1.png.351c1af1bc7463b18c13e6e83140cf8d.png
Cobra2.png.6a9db911a0635ac0ee1123b6f88e2f9c.png

My attempt as some "beauty" shots. :D

P1017124.JPG.96aa7c0c740c5d606ec2820625020593.JPG
P1017122.JPG.9aa609ae4fdfaa0f3af42c0bbc43c2bb.JPG
2047874744_P1017121(2).JPG.3774f004dff5a0c8e3263b37b1812e36.JPG
655249880_P1017120(2).JPG.221715c289866f04fe0bd89fd3fa41f8.JPG

OK.............now it's back to "normal" in building the 1/24-1/25 cars! I do have parts now coming in for Agora's 1/8 1961 Jaguar E-Type convertible, but I need a break from the big scales for a bit and it'll probably be some time before I get started on that.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by MrObsessive
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

Looks great !  Can you share what it was that was the most problematic with the assembly ?   Thanks

At some point, you'll need to attach the coupling that connects the two steering rods. Just like in the actual car, you have a "middle" connection that attaches the two. They don't mention this in the instructions until after the fact, but you'll want to make sure that the pin is threaded and partially through before going any further. I don't remember which step it was, but that's one of the pitfalls if you want the steering to function with the steering wheel. Keeping the coupling between the headers was tricky. You'll definitely want to have some needle nose pliers at the ready.

Another is the electrics. LOTS of wiring to deal with that have to be tucked inside the transmission tunnel, and this is where you have to check, check, and double check to make sure you don't have any trapped/pinched wires when it comes time to mate the chassis to the body.

Any packaging you'll get when it comes to the body parts, I strongly suggest you keep and not throw out. In my case, since this was a partwork, you can literally have items sitting for months before you use/attach them. One example was the hood. That was the first thing they sent, but it would be about six/seven months before I attached it to the hinges and body.

You're going to be turning this thing upside down............a LOT. They sent the body in the 11th pack encased in two styrofoam halves. I recommend you keep those as you'll need them to rest the body on to keep the windshield frame intact as you build up the chassis and undersides. The frame is solid metal, but the weight of the body along with any movement in the wrong direction could break it.

There are some other foibles too during the construction........I recommend following the instructions to a T! Any missed steps can have you taking things apart all over again as certain things cannot be attached/placed after a certain point.

If you run into trouble, drop me a line and I'll try to help where I can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2021 at 7:44 AM, MrObsessive said:

I've had this finished for a bit, but due to its size and the kind of lights I have, it's difficult for me to get halfway decent pics as opposed to my little "studio" setup I have for the much smaller stuff. Anyway, here are some pics of what she looks like now. As I've mentioned before in other threads, kits like this are not for the beginner at all and dare I say, they're geared more to the advanced builder as there are certain skills you'll need to deal with different assembly issues. Screw together construction notwithstanding...........there were steps that were particularly difficult to get done.

While the sun was shining bright in the room, I figured I'd better take advantage of the morning sun and grab a few pics. ;)

Here are a few just as it was pretty much done on my work table..........

Cobra4.png.5975eb9679d16b876e7a8cfc4abc0faa.png
Cobra5.png.33d4ce4e422fc0c1948a953a1918ffd4.png
Cobra1.png.351c1af1bc7463b18c13e6e83140cf8d.png
Cobra2.png.6a9db911a0635ac0ee1123b6f88e2f9c.png

My attempt as some "beauty" shots. :D

P1017124.JPG.96aa7c0c740c5d606ec2820625020593.JPG
P1017122.JPG.9aa609ae4fdfaa0f3af42c0bbc43c2bb.JPG
2047874744_P1017121(2).JPG.3774f004dff5a0c8e3263b37b1812e36.JPG
655249880_P1017120(2).JPG.221715c289866f04fe0bd89fd3fa41f8.JPG

OK.............now it's back to "normal" in building the 1/24-1/25 cars! I do have parts now coming in for Agora's 1/8 1961 Jaguar E-Type convertible, but I need a break from the big scales for a bit and it'll probably be some time before I get started on that.

Thanks for looking!

Beautiful sir!!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Noel, it was a partwork kit. When I first saw this early last year, Agora had an offer (I think they still do) where you could get four months worth of parts at once, then for the next eight months afterward, I would get one box of parts per month until the sub was done. I got the last of the parts I believe sometime this past September, and had it finished up a bit later.

Agora has been pretty good at keeping things moving as far as customers receiving their parts on time, despite the hangups in the world with the supply chain issue. I can't say the same for Eaglemoss (I had to cancel my sub with them), and DeAgostini as they're totally screwed up right now and I'm seeing the complaints on other message boards.

Right now, I'm getting parts (on time) for Agora's 1/8 1961 Jaguar E-Type convertible, as I just got new parts yesterday. This will probably be the last of the partwork large scale kits I'll get for awhile. With the issues I've had with Eaglemoss, and now DeAgostini, it's put a rather bad taste in my mouth as far as wanting to deal with either missing parts, late deliveries, or no deliveries at all.

Thanks for coming back Bill.   De Agostini seem to be the main part work seller here in the UK.

I must admit that I have always been reticent to commit to part work buying in case the company concerned goes belly up! So I have steered away from it.

The James Bond DB5 was sold in this way a few years back, and must admit I was tempted. Have seen one built up by a friend at IPMS Telford show and must say it is impressive!

Incidentally there is a new book that was published just before Christmas that is devoted to the James Bond DB5. I treated myself to it. Brilliant book! Loads of studio  information, pictures and drawings within.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 5:37 PM, MrObsessive said:

At some point, you'll need to attach the coupling that connects the two steering rods. Just like in the actual car, you have a "middle" connection that attaches the two. They don't mention this in the instructions until after the fact, but you'll want to make sure that the pin is threaded and partially through before going any further. I don't remember which step it was, but that's one of the pitfalls if you want the steering to function with the steering wheel. Keeping the coupling between the headers was tricky. You'll definitely want to have some needle nose pliers at the ready.

Another is the electrics. LOTS of wiring to deal with that have to be tucked inside the transmission tunnel, and this is where you have to check, check, and double check to make sure you don't have any trapped/pinched wires when it comes time to mate the chassis to the body.

Any packaging you'll get when it comes to the body parts, I strongly suggest you keep and not throw out. In my case, since this was a partwork, you can literally have items sitting for months before you use/attach them. One example was the hood. That was the first thing they sent, but it would be about six/seven months before I attached it to the hinges and body.

You're going to be turning this thing upside down............a LOT. They sent the body in the 11th pack encased in two styrofoam halves. I recommend you keep those as you'll need them to rest the body on to keep the windshield frame intact as you build up the chassis and undersides. The frame is solid metal, but the weight of the body along with any movement in the wrong direction could break it.

There are some other foibles too during the construction........I recommend following the instructions to a T! Any missed steps can have you taking things apart all over again as certain things cannot be attached/placed after a certain point.

If you run into trouble, drop me a line and I'll try to help where I can.

Thank you Bill for the heads up! Packs1-7 came in yesterday. Cannot wait to start it. The only problem I have is what color to paint it. Want to go red but black keeps calling my name. 

38557D68-819A-4C2D-B9D7-422336677AC8.jpeg

6E1138FD-5612-4694-911B-4CC19E234519.jpeg

You're welcome Bruce! If it were mine, and this was a raw (not prepainted) kit, I'd paint it red. In that scale, red will definitely be the standout no matter where it is!

I do like how Agora packs their parts. One of the beefs I had with DeAgostini is they put such few parts in such a big box with no packing cushioning whatsoever. Parts are flopping around, and I've had a few crushed boxes come to me. No damaged parts, but it looks trifling to get a box like that.

BTW, speaking of  DeAgostini, I spoke to someone the other day to inquire about a couple packs that I haven't gotten yet for the Ford GT40. She told me that indeed things were held up but they're back on track, and I should be getting the missing pack #'s hopefully within the next week or two. Something else I didn't know..............DeAgostini owns Fanhome which right now in the UK has K.I.T.T. (Knight Rider) as a partwork build.

She said that they're getting LOTS OF CALLS about that car and it'll be on the Fanhome US site shortly. As if I need any more kits, but I GOT to get that one! One of my all time favorite TV cars! :wub: