Model Cars Magazine Forum

My latest build off the workbench.  A very nice kit with few fit problems and a joy to build.  But not with out its pain.  Body was sprayed with Tamiya TS-14 gloss black then the decals applied. TS13 clear was used over the decals and even after waiting and very carefully applying thin coats the decals discolored and wrinkled.  This required more wait time for the clear to cure and the clear was sanded down and more clear applied. the wrinkles still showed although not as bad this time. Further waiting and polishing finally achieved acceptable results.  Extras in the kit were aftermarked JPS decals by MSM Creations and wires and hoses. More description in the captions of the pictures. 

DSC07451.JPG.7d8b3de9ff8977f8317d7446dcfe5ce9.JPG

Completed chassis awaiting final bodywork fitment

DSC07452.JPG.45f22899992f0068b28425f644f019c0.JPG

Engine detail, ignition wires, fuel lines oil and water were all extras

DSC07454.JPG.a6121f0eda52a511a1846d09241776ed.JPG

Front suspension detail showing inboard disc brakes which were unique to this design.

DSC07455.JPG.2183cc0e3438224214b273ce274a3c9c.JPG

Completed car with body work in place. This has always been one of my favorite liveries.

DSC07456.JPG.25268790501dc4ea4913180474b45cb3.JPG

rear veiw with oil cooler radiator mounted under the rear wing. The wing itself was worrisome but the extra coats of clear made it all better. The wing itself attached very nicle and required no adjustments to make it look right. Usually a problem with F-1 cars.

DSC07457.JPG.46237410a5eb5ade35e5abd8f348c1f9.JPG

Side view of this car show the iconic wedge shape that made tis one of the best looking F-1 cars. 

DSC07460.JPG.eb5d13b466a4fb4f34634d4d1c022775.JPG

Couldn't resist taking alll the JPS cars in my collection out for a group shot.  The two Lotus 79's are actually different kits, a Hasegawa and a Tamiya. They were also done with different drivers...#5 Andretti, #6 Peterson. Other makes in this picture are Fujimi, Ebbro. 1/64 diecast are Kyosho , Tomica and Polystil.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, afx said:

Nice build and JPS collection Rich.

Thanks JC,  its been fun to collect and build.

2 hours ago, 4mula1fan said:

Awesome collection. 

Thanks, a favorite part of my collection

2 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Great looking model, Rich! I love all things JPS and that last photo put a huge smile on my face!

John, you are welcome.  With these trying times smiles are tough to come by so it was my pleasure.

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

That's a beauty .

Thanks Ray.

39 minutes ago, 1959scudetto said:

Excellent model, Rich - this is the iconic F1 racecar of the '70's.

Thanks Helmut, I got to see this car race at Watkins Glen in 1973. It was an epic duel between Ronnie Petersen and James Hunt. We were treated to quite a show, Ronnie won so I did his car. 

Very nice job Rich on this 72e. I particularly like the fuel lines and wiring details you added. I’ve given up applying TS-13 clear coat over any decals, it always seems to cause issues when I spray the final wet coat, even after applying a multitude of thin pre-coats and letting each one dry/fully cure.  

Ebbro 1/20 F1 kits never seem to go together easily. I recently completed the new Lotus 33 kit and came very close to taking a hammer to it more than once. Whatever build issues you had with this 72e do not appear to be visible on your beautiful finished model.

1 hour ago, papajohn97 said:

Very nice job Rich on this 72e. I particularly like the fuel lines and wiring details you added. I’ve given up applying TS-13 clear coat over any decals, it always seems to cause issues when I spray the final wet coat, even after applying a multitude of thin pre-coats and letting each one dry/fully cure.  

Ebbro 1/20 F1 kits never seem to go together easily. I recently completed the new Lotus 33 kit and came very close to taking a hammer to it more than once. Whatever build issues you had with this 72e do not appear to be visible on your beautiful finished model.

Ouch... that's not encouraging.  I have four EBBRO kits in the stash as I'm a F1 fan.

22 hours ago, Timonator said:

Nice build and nice collection !

Thank you..it tokk a few years to put it all together

20 hours ago, absmiami said:

Yup. You ain’t Ly’in I was there too -  remember how cold the Glenn was in early Oct in the seventies ??

oh , and we all had long hair - like the drivers !

other weekend stories - not all appropriate for this forum - maybe …

We sat at the heel of the boot (turns 8 &  9) Bleachers are up on a hill so you get a good veiw of both turns.  You could actually see Ronnie Petersen 4 wheel drifting his Lotus. Hunt was no slouch either. It was quite a show..very impressive. 

20 hours ago, absmiami said:

How many of the other F1 1973 cars have you done ?  I did the 1/8 scale JPS - the god awful Entex kit-  which is in desperate need of restoration …

Don't really know. I sam a big fan of this era car. Sent a picture to your personal mail. 

19 hours ago, Keavdog said:

A beauty.  And what an amazing collection!  I thought I had one of these in the stash, but it turned out to be an EBBRO Type 91 Lotus Special

Thanks...there is a  shot of that model finished in the last picture.

18 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

Thanks John...the more experience you gain the better you get. Not my first 1/20 Ford engine. Have refined my technique with each one I do. Ebbro kits have their issues but I consider the problems minor. Having lots of tools helps me. This is my fifth Ebbro build. 

On 12/6/2021 at 3:21 AM, Keavdog said:

Ouch... that's not encouraging.  I have four EBBRO kits in the stash as I'm a F1 fan.

On 12/6/2021 at 7:31 AM, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

I found that by decanting Tamiya TS13 it is much less volatile and causes no problem when airbrushing over decals.

Thanks Chris...I did just that with several mist coats.  I de-cant and airbrush almost every thing and didin't think I would have this problem. I was still able to save it with more coats of clear so it was OK. 

On 12/6/2021 at 8:17 AM, Gramps46 said:

Another outstanding build Rich.  It is a shame to cover up the chassis and engine which really caught my attention.  Great collection too.

Thanks Gary....the body is completely removable and one of the best features of this kit. I may yet oirder the front sub frame for this car.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:15 AM, Dave Van said:

VERY well done!!!!! Love the collection. I have a number of Chapman Lotus kits......yet to build! 

Thank you Dave...I hope this post is the incentive for you to do them.

On 12/6/2021 at 2:56 PM, Bugatti Fan said:

Lovely models Rich. I expect that you will be looking out for the new Pocher one announced recently.

That will be a beauty in 1/8th scale!

Thank you for the compliments...I literally gave my Entex 1/8 Lotus away so I will probably pass. They are impressiove but there is just no room in my display area for them. And I have a large display area with over 1000 pieces...but still no room.

4 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Wouldn't it look good if you did have shelf room for it Rich?

Noel...I AM a huge fan of big scale kits.  I have  over 50  1/12 projects yet to do and have some 20 already done. I made special cases just to hold some of the ones already done. There is room for a few more but not all.  I have two 1/8 kits finished ( Pocher Ferrari's)  I recently made two seperate cases for each of them and they are now displayed on top of my other cases. I needed the room in my Ferrari section (they took up one entire shelf)  for many of the Ferrari projects left to do. I had both  the Lotus and Mclaren 1/8 kits. The Mclaren was in mint condition and it got sold. My display area is in a constant state of change as I have to move things around for each project completed.  And 1/8 scale is just too much changing.  Thanks for the reply  and by the way....I also have a Bugatti section. Like them cars too.