Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford Model A Roadster Lowboy

mrmike

I had once mentioned to others about combining the leftover '29 Model A Roadster and the '30 Model A Coupe parts and combining them into one model.  That was until I did my research and found that there is no second body in the Roadster kit like I thought there was.  Club member John Davison offered me his '29 Ford Model A Roadster parts kit for this build and I thanked him for it!  But, what I got was a nearly complete kit for nothing!  Thank you, John!!!

John used 3 parts out of the kit and those pieces wouldn't affect to outcome of my build.  A lowboy '29 with a SBC and 3 deuces, interior pieces from the '30 Model A Coupe such as the bucket seats, open back interior and cut-out interior panels.  My paint will be Dupli-Color Stellar Blue Pearl with a light tan interior and emobssing powder for carpet.  Let's see what I can do with this.

More Model A to come...

'29Lowboy01.JPG

'29Lowboy02.JPG

'29Lowboy30.JPG

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 12:25 PM, NOBLNG said:

This is a nice little kit. Be careful with the chrome. I had some peel off of the radiator shell with my masking tape.

Greg, if I put masking tape on chrome, I put the tape on my shirt and take it off twice to keep it from peeling chrome off. I had that happen on  Chevelle grill and bumper. This trick has worked for me so far..

15 hours ago, slusher said:

Greg, if I put masking tape on chrome, I put the tape on my shirt and take it off twice to keep it from peeling chrome off. I had that happen on  Chevelle grill and bumper. This trick has worked for me so far..

That's a neat idea!

Thanks Michael and RRR! 

After I had finished the engine, I took a look at the Small Block Chevy in my first '29 Model A Roadster and the engine is very close to the firewall.  So much so that I removed the ignition coil and laid it flat on top the the driver's side of the intake manifold.  This should help with any clearance issues. 

I primered and painted the '29 Roadster today, but the results were not what I had hoped for.  This hot paint crazed the plastic inspite of the primer I used.  I guess some sanding is in order for this hot rod.

More Model A to come...

'29Lowboy07.JPG

'29Lowboy08.JPG

'29Lowboy09.JPG

What primer did you use? Go down to the local auto parts store and buy same DupliColor Grey primer. Look near the bar code and grab the DAP-1699. This primer is made for that paint. Put on a couple of coats and sand lightly with 1000 or 2000 grit paper (you don't need to wet the paper, that primer sands easily). Wash parts with dish soap before painting and between primer and color coats. It's also a good idea to remove parts from the trees before painting and remove the mold parting lines and any flash and ejector pin marks before painting. It will give you a much better looking model. Sanding parts before primer will give better paint adhesion as well. It might seem like a lot of prep, but you will the results. I hope this helps... -RRR

Thanks for the tip, RRR!  This particular paint must be very hot since I have used Dupli-Color paint over Tamiya primer without any issues what so ever.

I have been assembling the chassis and the wheels and tires. 

More Model A to come...

'29Lowboy10.JPG

'29Lowboy11.JPG

'29Lowboy12.JPG

I've been working on assembling the chassis.  I sure hate these spindly front suspensions!  Anyway, the chassis is up on its wheels and tires and it's level, too.  Now, to figure out what I am going to do about the body...

More Model A to come...

'29Lowboy13.JPG

'29Lowboy14.JPG

'29Lowboy15.JPG

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:19 AM, mrmike said:

I've been working on assembling the chassis.  I sure hate these spindly front suspensions!  Anyway, the chassis is up on its wheels and tires and it's level, too.  Now, to figure out what I am going to do about the body...

More Model A to come...

'29Lowboy13.JPG

'29Lowboy14.JPG

'29Lowboy15.JPG

The "new" Revell model A kits are great kits and yes the front suspension is pretty fragile. I figure they were trying to be more in scale. I've built both kits and will be building them again (I have the new coupe kit on its way to me at this very moment 😀. )  There's nothing more dreadful than a paint job simulating wrinkle paint when that wasn't the intent. It's happened to me a few times. I like Duplicolor but that first coat must go on very light and if your primer is compatible (as stated above by RRR) and the first color coat is allowed to dry, you should be golden. Incidentally,  I neglected to fill the door handle holes until it was too late and had to install the handles. Many  hot rod roadsters  don't have any; I goofed. Just sayin' IMG_3122.jpg.3dc88a1173f886a4b81482d4297cb98a.jpgIMG_0886.jpg.7db9c04d57c7a9f03c203687bd63961a.jpg

Edited by customline
Add content

This is the third version of the Revell '29/'30 Model A that I have assembled.  I always dread putting on the front wheels and tires since I worry that I may break the front axle.  I have decided to trim the front pins and use them for a locating pin instead and gluing the wheel on.  This also prevents the model from moving needlessly on a table or other flat surface.

Thanks David and Jim!  I usually glue some or all of my wheels on and usually for rake or height.  I have not done anything about the paint issue yet, but I do have some ideas.

I had this vision of using the Coupe's inner structure and it just doesn't fit.  So I took the Roadster's inner structure and placed inside the Roadster's body and, of course it fits better.  I took my hobby knife and scored the interior panels and removed them and I liked the look a whole lot better.  I am moving forward and using these side panels instead.

More Model A to come...

'29Lowboy16.JPG

'29Lowboy17.JPG

'29Lowboy18.JPG

A mockup to check my work.  This is looking great and I wished I thought of it earlier!  I sanded the body and now to take it apart for a bath.  The firewall will be primed and painted, but I don't know if it would be white or body colored.  John took the original dash and I had a spare from the AMT '32 Ford Phaeton.  Now to primer it, paint and detail it.

More Model A to come...

'29Lowboy19.JPG

'29Lowboy20.JPG

'29Lowboy21.JPG