Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford Model A Roadster Lowboy

mrmike

13 hours ago, customline said:

Hey, Mike, I see you haven't mounted the headlights yet.🙂 

You are correct!  I haven't mounted the headlights or the windshield since I have been trying to adjust several other items on the Model A.  Mounting the headlights and the windshield will come shortly.

Edited by mrmike

Getting the headlights to look the same requires trial and error.  The idea here is to look at your headlights from the front to make sure they are level and then from the top or above your model to be sure that they are facing in the right direction.  And, you got to do it before your glue sets up.

17 hours ago, customline said:

I was trying to be funny, Mike. That's the part I hate. I can never get them looking in the same direction. I'd love to get a lesson on that. 😕

I'm sorry if I didn't take your comment as a joke.  When it comes to model building, I have a tendency to take it a little bit too seriously.  Now that I look at it, it is a little bit funny.  

1 hour ago, mrmike said:

Getting the headlights to look the same requires trial and error.  The idea here is to look at your headlights from the front to make sure they are level and then from the top or above your model to be sure that they are facing in the right direction.  And, you got to do it before your glue sets up.

I'm sorry if I didn't take your comment as a joke.  When it comes to model building, I have a tendency to take it a little bit too seriously.  Now that I look at it, it is a little bit funny.  

Looking good! For the headlights, try to pin them with soft beading wire. The wire can be tweeked slightly to align them before glueing. This is .020” wire and once these were glued in place, I clipped off the excess.

191BD9A6-0A7B-4CA2-92EE-80DE431C3443.jpeg

8A54585B-0E2E-4895-A433-5AD207CC0CBC.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

2 hours ago, mrmike said:

I was relying too much on the emoji to do the job, a little too subtle...but your response was in line. No worries. 

Edited by customline

35 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Looking good! For the headlights, try to pin them with soft beading wire. The wire can be tweeked slightly to align them before glueing. This is .020” wire and once these were glued in place, I clipped off the excess.

191BD9A6-0A7B-4CA2-92EE-80DE431C3443.jpeg

8A54585B-0E2E-4895-A433-5AD207CC0CBC.jpeg

I've done all that Greg, but a day or two later it will look wrong. It could be my eyes 😣.  I pin everything with brass wire that can fall off or get knocked off. I have used wire to align mirrors, headlights, etc...if I can drill it, it gets pinned. I've broken all my good #80s, #79s,78s, etc...so now I use #75 and thick CA. I need a good set of bits 😩 .Gotta spend the money.

So, I was staring at the box art and I noticed something is wrong.  I verified what I saw by looking at my '29 Ford Lowboy Roadster...there is no spreader bar on the front of the frame!  But, I do remember putting one on my previous '29 Ford Highboy Roadster with a piece of sprue that I had on the bench.  I checked the instructions and there is no spreader bar mentioned anywhere.  It shows up on step 4 and disappears on step 5 and shows up again on step 6.  I guess I'm making one, but this time it will be chromed!

More Model A to come...

'29Lowboy40.JPG

'29Lowboy41.JPG

'29Lowboy42.JPG

17 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

There are two different frames, the 32 frame has the spreader bar, the 29 does not.

Yeah, I kinda figured that was the answer.  Somehow the '29 without the spreader bar doesn't look right to me.  I'll add the spreader bar to enhance the look.  There are issues with the instructions!

8 minutes ago, mrmike said:

Yeah, I kinda figured that was the answer.  Somehow the '29 without the spreader bar doesn't look right to me.  I'll add the spreader bar to enhance the look.  There are issues with the instructions!

Agreed on that, the instructions from Revell  are kind of ADD, they skip around a fair bit, they could have simplified the instructions to show one build at a time, kinda like older AMT instructions. I agree the spreader bar does lend a nice accent to the front end. Great build so far.