Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 2022 Cannonball Run Year of Birth Build Thread

disconovaman

3 hours ago, avidinha said:

Count me in! While the late 70"s wasn't a great time for cars, I was surprised at the variety of '77 kits available. I'm going to make an E350 Centurion with a '77 Ford van and parts from a F350 dually.

4yEvqFl.jpeg

THnuFhV.jpeg

AmWVNXz.jpeg

I love this idea, those are really cool. 

2022 Cannonball Roster

#1. Mattilacken - 1987 BMW 635CSi

#2. Pat Minarick -1966 Barracuda

#3. Fat Brian - 1981 Fox Body Mustang

#4.  4mula1fan - 1958 Chevrolet Impala 

#5.  MrObsessive - 1961 Pontiac Ventura STC

#6. Oldmopars  - 1970 Land Rover STC

#7. Bullybeef - 1970 Mercury Cyclone

#8. fivesuns -  1957 Ford Custom

#9.  Jantrix  - 1968 Buick Riviera

#10. Lunajammer  - 1961 Ford  Ranchero

#11. Beans - 1970 Camaro Z28

#12. camaro69  - 1977 Nova 

#13. stinkybritches  - 1966 427 Ford Fairlane 

#14. Spottedlaurel  -  1970 Challenger

#15.  avidinha - 1977 Ford E350 Centurion conversion van

#16. MeatMan - 1956 Club DeMer concept car

#17.  spencer1984  - 1978 Ferrari 308 GTB

#18. cheyenne93 - 1962 Pontiac Catalina

#19. landman - 1951 Studebaker

#20.  Koellefornia Kid  - 1978 Dodge Monaco 

#21. KWT - 1978 Chevrolet  Elcamino

#22. Iarman - 1969 Dodge Super Bee 

#23. tooltime-fan  - 1977 Lamborghini Urraco.

#24. Jhedir6 - 1971 AMX Javelin 

Wow! we're on a Roll now! I'm excited to see this much enthusiasm so soon! I think this is gonna be a good run! 

If you see the abbreviations STC for Subject To Change it means you're still deciding what you're building. Don't sweat it, we have plenty of time to pick a project or change it up if you're not feeling it. I'll update the Roster as often as needed... 😉

Edited by disconovaman

31 minutes ago, spencer1984 said:

OK, I found one that will work for '78 and isn't something that I've built already:

magnum-ferrari-01.jpg.a9366c6a7663405f58678981628bb2af.jpg

Is that the ex-Monogram kit? I built one in the late '80s or early '90s and it came out very nice and I don't recall any problems with it at all. You'll enjoy it! B)

Ferrari308b.jpg.dc2a8880fe2c417c343b7db073f391e1.jpg

3 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

OK, I found one that will work for '78 and isn't something that I've built already:

magnum-ferrari-01.jpg.a9366c6a7663405f58678981628bb2af.jpg

As Snake say it's the old Monogram kit and it's pretty decent, I finished-off the same Revell issue last year:

1:24 Revell Ferrari 308 GTB kit

I lowered mine and fitted alternative wheels and tyres along with some brake discs. I may have had a bit of glass/interior fitment issue, but I don't remember doing anything too complicated to get over it.

2 hours ago, cheyenne93 said:

Put me down for the 2022 cannon ball.

Here's the main build thread, you can post on there with your build progress, shoot the Bull, watch all the builds come together etc...etc... along with all of us. I'll add you to the Roster. Glad to have you back. Come on over and join us.😁

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Is that the ex-Monogram kit? I built one in the late '80s or early '90s and it came out very nice and I don't recall any problems with it at all. You'll enjoy it! B)

Ferrari308b.jpg.dc2a8880fe2c417c343b7db073f391e1.jpg

8 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

As Snake say it's the old Monogram kit and it's pretty decent, I finished-off the same Revell issue last year:

1:24 Revell Ferrari 308 GTB kit

I lowered mine and fitted alternative wheels and tyres along with some brake discs. I may have had a bit of glass/interior fitment issue, but I don't remember doing anything too complicated to get over it.

Beautiful builds! I'm glad to hear that it's what I was hoping, thanks for the heads up on it. I had tried the Revell full detail 308 GTS way back when, and it was such a frustrating mess of flash and ill-fitting parts that it ended up being one of the few kits that I reboxed and got rid of.

Well I'm getting in on this, and hoping this years entry goes a lot smoother than last.

I want to do something not usually seen... initially I was going to jump in with the a Squad Rod, but Rico is doing a Nova... Then I thought, a Monaco is slightly on the unusual side for this. Beat to the punch on that one..lol..

So... I'm jumping in with the 78 El Camino.

78elcamino.jpg.18d31b8d90e7dadc719a1f952b8e3750.jpg

Either going to use this one, or the one coming in the mail... Been doing some brainstorming on this. I may incorporate some stuff from the monte carlo I didn't even start last year. Or... the sky's the limit. But this one will be at the finish line.

On 12/10/2021 at 11:31 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

Thanks @disconovamanfor getting the list going!

Looks like I'm the 4th for 1970. I had pondered a couple of Chevies I already have in stash but I realised I've done too many of them in the last year or two and it's time to spread the love. By chance I've just managed to get this 1970 AMT Challenger on eBay:

Image 1 - Ertl EMT Dodge Challenger R/T 1970 Model Kit 1/25 scale 100% Complete Set

Once it arrives I'll see if a Viper V10 engine will fit. If it's not viable I'll do a Mustang or something Japanese.

Hi Nigel, it should fit. I put a Viper engine in one several years ago and don’t recall any major surgery. 

Here's my start pic. I'm going with a modern pro-touring vibe, kinda like this. Most of the plan is to get the "look" by whatever means necessary, based on time. I've recently started a new job that will hopefully increase the bench time. Hopefully. I'll try for a widebody kit and a front valance, and it will feature a 3D printed twin turbo 427. At a minimum. Body mods aren't my specialty, so we'll see. Depending on time, I'll try to get more involved with the chassis, beyond the one-piece that comes with '69 kit. Looking forward to this run. 

INascar style 1969 Buick Riviera | Buick riviera, Buick, Sports car

Riv start.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Here's my start pic. I'm going with a modern pro-touring vibe, kinda like this. Most of the plan is to get the "look" by whatever means necessary, based on time. I've recently started a new job that will hopefully increase the bench time. Hopefully. I'll try for a widebody kit and a front valance, and it will feature a 3D printed twin turbo 427. At a minimum. Body mods aren't my specialty, so we'll see. Depending on time, I'll try to get more involved with the chassis, beyond the one-piece that comes with '69 kit. Looking forward to this run. 

INascar style 1969 Buick Riviera | Buick riviera, Buick, Sports car

Riv start.jpg

Oh man, that will be cool. I’ll be watching that one come together Rob.