Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 2022 Cannonball Run Year of Birth Build Thread

disconovaman

14 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

suggestions? 

drilling the hole at an angle may be the simplest solution or drilling it straight on and bending a a wire connector pre-angled for the hole. I don't know, you may have to explore other aftermarket wiring kits for those rubber boot connectors... see what fits the best...🤔

Per the Norm though, great work aside I like that header! and I think I'd go for the Webber "stock" intake 👍

21 hours ago, landman said:

Opened up the hood, which is easier said than done. Attempted to duplicate the cutline

I commend your efforts, there is no easy task when working with that kind of project. I have his HHR Panel body, I tried mating the PT Cruiser interior and chassis with it. Currently a stalled project, I work on when the mood hits me now and then.

I wanted to take a moment and acknowledge all the progress you guys are making! It's Amazing! You all are staying focused really early and it makes me feel like I'm in last place at the moment... I need to get my gears turning and figure out what I'm building! 

I will be in with a '62 Corvette.

1252267083_IMG_20211125_151024845(2).jpg.1d0a7ce71a66108af1ada9c490c9f203.jpgI won't be using the skinny tires or oversized wheels, and II will be lowering and adding some ground effects..

Try not to 'body work' it too much as this usually ends up not getting finished in time..lol

Cheers Cannonballers!!

Edited by Belugawrx
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

#1 1987 BMW 635 CSI 

made some progress today. Have decided to make a nice NA engine so I started on a new exhaust and I have also drilled the holes for the plug wires both in the distributor and the head. Thinking how I can make the angled plug wire connectors, suggestions? 

I am also thorn about the intake, “stock” GR.A intake, webbers or separate valve body’s and fuelinjection…

Good to see it progressing Anton. I should get those road car parts off to you tomorrow, I've just packed them up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

I really feel bad about throwing my hat in the ring...again, seeing as I have yet to finish one. But here goes. Pile of parts from an old buildup '67 Chevelle, and a few period race car parts. It will have a big block....of some kind.

Sam, you need one of these.

DSC_0004.JPG.a4a19c731495985e4e93850b4dcd33e8.jpg

DSC_0005.JPG.1c336b824afecf03a9b6fcb50b058278.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

IMG_20220117_112630541.thumb.jpg.582f8f10d916723f66e97e530947908e.jpgwell..looks like we have a snow day here in Southern Ontario...

IMG_20220117_111708541.thumb.jpg.4dc4e07408a39c3626ddf128bbb58fb9.jpg

Checking out different wheel/Tire combos..I like these from the '67 Chevelle

Yep. Was a perfect day to stay home and play. Personally I slept.....needed some extra zzzz's. Maybe I'll get to work on something tonight.

Wheels looks very nice Bruce.

5 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

IMG_20220117_112630541.thumb.jpg.582f8f10d916723f66e97e530947908e.jpgwell..looks like we have a snow day here in Southern Ontario

We got hammered Saturday... It's weird having all this snow here recently... we've had three storms since the end of December... here's my snow covered pick-up truck 😁... the snow is trying to melt here. I don't care for it, wish it would go away...

18 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

'67 Chevelle

Excellent Choice! 

7 hours ago, landman said:

one of these

Nice! I need one of those too. 😆 

20220117_154735.jpg

Update on my '71 Javelin...finally....

The body was printed in two pieces and are now "welded" together. Resin welding is a process where you take raw liquid resin and use it as a "glue" to marry two resin halves together. Once you have the liquid resin on the parts you hit it with a UV light source (I have a couple mini pen flashlights) and it bonds the pieces together. It also fills in any gaps, then you just sand the surface. If you look over the rear wheel well you can see a faint line where I put the two halves together. I also went into Meshmixer and removed the rear deck lid and printed it separately so now I have an open trunk as well. Much sanding is going to be required to fit it right.
I also printed out an interior pan from a file I have for a Porsche 935. I want a "race inspired" interior so there will be no back seat. I'm still working out what to do for a chassis. Likely this will be a 3D printed item as well with a 4 link rear end and sitting on airbags.
I also printed up the Mustang GT500 wheels, and really like the looks of them but I didn't like the tires as much so I'll either reprint them or maybe find some kit ones from a parts box.
20220118_105253.thumb.jpg.32abb7fa26385d51054a64a2be82eb7a.jpg

And lastly.............."Got a Hemi?"
screenShot_Hellcat_124_ready.png.3b5037a37edf7f676eb19211d31bd02c.png
I just got this file last night, and just finished setting it up to print...but it's pretty cold here today so I'll wait till a warmer day to print. This pic of the Hemi is from Pixel3D on Cults3D. There's enough space on my build plate for 3 prints at once. I've got a Hellcat for the Javelin, my TRX and another project I have going as well.
Edited by Jhedir6
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mattilacken said:

#1 BMW 635 CSI

made some progress on the headers and have also filled the holes in the trunk that the previous owner of the kit had made per instructions in the race kit. Intake is next up. 

Nice job on the headers.

Because the van is 1/25 scale and the truck is 1/24 scale, I was worried that the bed would be too wide, so I mocked up the bed and due to pure dumb luck, it lines up perfectly.

gSQSTzg.jpeg

z2l5uSN.jpeg

I also scribes the extra seem I would need to change the sliding door into barn doors.

OGl7aCx.jpeg

More next time.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, avidinha said:

Because the van is 1/25 scale and the truck is 1/24 scale, I was worried that the bed would be too wide, so I mocked up the bed and due to pure dumb luck, it lines up perfectly.

gSQSTzg.jpeg

z2l5uSN.jpeg

I also scribes the extra seem I would need to change the sliding door into barn doors.

OGl7aCx.jpeg

More next time.

Probably won't be the fastest thing on the road but it'll be able to carry enough fuel that it'll never have to stop.....ever.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:10 AM, Jhedir6 said:
Update on my '71 Javelin...finally....

The body was printed in two pieces and are now "welded" together. Resin welding is a process where you take raw liquid resin and use it as a "glue" to marry two resin halves together. Once you have the liquid resin on the parts you hit it with a UV light source (I have a couple mini pen flashlights) and it bonds the pieces together. It also fills in any gaps, then you just sand the surface. If you look over the rear wheel well you can see a faint line where I put the two halves together. I also went into Meshmixer and removed the rear deck lid and printed it separately so now I have an open trunk as well. Much sanding is going to be required to fit it right.
I also printed out an interior pan from a file I have for a Porsche 935. I want a "race inspired" interior so there will be no back seat. I'm still working out what to do for a chassis. Likely this will be a 3D printed item as well with a 4 link rear end and sitting on airbags.
I also printed up the Mustang GT500 wheels, and really like the looks of them but I didn't like the tires as much so I'll either reprint them or maybe find some kit ones from a parts box.

And lastly.............."Got a Hemi?"

I just got this file last night, and just finished setting it up to print...but it's pretty cold here today so I'll wait till a warmer day to print. This pic of the Hemi is from Pixel3D on Cults3D. There's enough space on my build plate for 3 prints at once. I've got a Hellcat for the Javelin, my TRX and another project I have going as well.

Good stuff there!

Thanks for the info on combining resin body parts, I hadn't thought of that. I plan to print my Karmann-Ghia in resin in two parts the next time and now I know how to combine the front & rear!