Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 2022 Cannonball Run Year of Birth Build Thread

disconovaman

On 4/18/2022 at 10:09 AM, Mattilacken said:

I an other thing would be for you to use a nascar chassis, maby a Scamp chassi would fit your plans? And then try with the viper engine again when the frame is different.  

On 4/18/2022 at 9:08 AM, tooltime-fan said:

I like the work you put into the interieur. The chassis of the AMT '73 Charger fits quite well.

On 4/18/2022 at 2:29 PM, MeatMan said:

I put a Viper engine in a 56 Chrysler 300 a while back. I cut the crossmember down to allow the engine to sit lower, which req'd me to change the front suspension to a strut type coming up through the wheel wells. Might be an idea for you.

On 4/19/2022 at 5:03 AM, slusher said:

How about a 440 under the hood fro the 68 Charger or 426 fuel injected..

That’s why I love this forum! Thanks for all the tips, guys! I will definitely keep them in mind for probable future builds!

For this one I found a different solution. I remembered that I bought a second hand Viper engine from a die cast model some time ago and it fits into the Monaco´s engine bay. I will have to modify the headers a bit and maybe scratch build a radiator but for now, I’m happy with it and at least the hood closes properly:

333055647_15V10.jpg.daf07370c0d3673e5dbb659eef28bb9f.jpg

Further I had the idea to modify the front of the Dodge since I made custom taillight lenses. Instead of the stock grilles an rectangular headlights I plan to use a round single lens and mesh grilles. a quick mock up:

650145180_16Front.jpg.0792bdddaf807b459892882e70fe432b.jpg

Not quite sure about it. Maybe I cut the surrounds from the stock items to frame my mesh parts?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

That’s why I love this forum! Thanks for all the tips, guys! I will definitely keep them in mind for probable future builds!

For this one I found a different solution. I remembered that I bought a second hand Viper engine from a die cast model some time ago and it fits into the Monaco´s engine bay. I will have to modify the headers a bit and maybe scratch build a radiator but for now, I’m happy with it and at least the hood closes properly:

Further I had the idea to modify the front of the Dodge since I made custom taillight lenses. Instead of the stock grilles an rectangular headlights I plan to use a round single lens and mesh grilles. a quick mock up:

Not quite sure about it. Maybe I cut the surrounds from the stock items to frame my mesh parts?

The grill looks great!!  I agree the headlight needs a bezel or something .  Maybe bend the mesh back slightly so it is kind of concave around the headlight.

14 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

I am glad it’s working out for you!

Got a little impulsive to finally get that clear coat on the '61 Ranchero and take advantage of some warm weather. Didn't think it through and put a coat of Testors One Coat lacquer over my Rustoleum green, which I think is acrylic enamel. The green almost turned white and obviously put on a finely crazed surface. I think this is the first time ever I've stripped a body that I painted myself. Grr! 😠

InPurplePond.jpeg.7527376869aaa5dd1d134840d2cfa3fa.jpeg

On 4/22/2022 at 7:31 PM, Koellefornia Kid said:

Nice to see progress on this. 

For bezels you could also use the headlights of the 77/78 Plymouth Fury as a starting point.

Sometimes, Rockinroller selbst them in ebay.

....or did even Rasti have them on shapeways🤔

12 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Testors One Coat lacquer over my Rustoleum green,

That combination happened to me also. For some reason if you let Rustolem set up before you apply clearcoat it either lifts or crazed the paint. It even done the same with Rustolem clear too. With all these new chemicals and different mixtures I feel like I'm back in my infancy stage and re-learning what works.

I'm having trouble with the paint on the bed. This is my second attempt.

g6hYnqm.jpeg

Everything I've painted from the van kit is fine, it's just the truck parts that are giving me a hard time. If I can't figure it out, I'm not going to make it across the finish line this year.

Edited by avidinha

4 hours ago, avidinha said:

I'm having trouble with the paint on the bed.

Looks like you're using lacquer. Did you use a primer? If not, you should, and preferably of the same brand or at least lacquer based. It's reacting with either the plastic or whatever coating you have underneath it.

23 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

Looks like you're using lacquer. Did you use a primer? If not, you should, and preferably of the same brand or at least lacquer based. It's reacting with either the plastic or whatever coating you have underneath it.

I am using lacquer, it's Duplicolor primer and paint. There's got to be something embedded in the plastic, that's the only variable.

Edited by avidinha

2 hours ago, avidinha said:

I am using lacquer, it's Duplicolor primer and paint. There's got to be something embedded in the plastic, that's the only variable.

Try a Tamiya primer and Tamiya paint I think it will work better..

12 hours ago, avidinha said:

There's got to be something embedded in the plastic, that's the only variable.

Hmm. Doesn't seem likely there's something in the plastic, and since you've stripped it once already I presume there's not mold release residue. Unless you're married to that very shade of silver, maybe it's time to switch brands to Rustoleum or, as Slusher suggested, Tamiya, or... etc. I'd hate to see you drop out over this.

2 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Hmm. Doesn't seem likely there's something in the plastic, and since you've stripped it once already I presume there's not mold release residue. Unless you're married to that very shade of silver, maybe it's time to switch brands to Rustoleum or, as Slusher suggested, Tamiya, or... etc. I'd hate to see you drop out over this.

I prepped and painted the parts from the other kit at the same time and they turned out fine, I have too many parts painted and subassemblies put together to swap colors now. I'm going to give it one more shot and see what happens.

14 hours ago, cheyenne93 said:

Progress so far on the 62 Catalina. Thanks for looking

20220426_080601.jpg

20220426_080620.jpg

20220426_080637.jpg

20220426_080513.jpg

20220426_080357_HDR.jpg

20220426_080322.jpg

You sure know how to lay down a black paint job, for sure.

But...

Even money you come in dead last. You won't want to get a single rock chip on that beauty. 😄

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2022 at 10:31 AM, Koellefornia Kid said:

Maybe try the headlight surrounds from the 1978 Dodge pickup. It should be deep enough because Dodge went to dual, stacked rectangular head lights in 1979 with essentially the same grill.

On 4/27/2022 at 12:09 PM, Tim H said:

Hey, Sam. What wheels are you using on that Chevelle?

Tim

I have a set of those wheels they are made by LS.  Send me a PM if you are interested in them.

DSCN8257.JPG

Edited by afx

Nice progress everybody!!!! Very cool builds going on. I've made a little progress in the past few weeks on the 1982 Porsche. Got all of the parts painted and started detail painting everything. Just a simple flat red interior. Painted the body today and right at the end somebody came down the driveway on a tractor. Dust Got all in it, but I think I can save it with some good ol wet sanding after the dehydrator is done running. Taped off the trim to be painted black and the dang paint rippled on me. I hope I can save that for real because the color is really cool. I can polish the paint out without the clear and it'll look good if I can get it right. Color is Graphite Metallic loaded with silver PearlEx. 

20220417_170818.jpg

20220429_193430.jpg

20220429_185545.jpg

Edited by Randy Bo Bandy