Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 2022 Cannonball Run Year of Birth Build Thread

disconovaman

Smacked the Frankenstein LS engine together.. parts from my PB since I was a kid. Two different sets of heads on a revel c5 engine block. Silverado trans and oil pan, did not fit so I have to throw the Z06 batwing tray on it. A miss mash of front end drive parts.. 3D printed valve covers and a C5R intake. 🤯 looks decent. Will try to put the decals on the intake boxes, little worried since I used pencil to paint it.. might have to re do the base paint.. what’s your thoughts? 

7DBF2A40-6B09-4CCA-90B8-23EA03CA3401.thumb.jpeg.f569b62b5f58fb84eeb075a9954c5351.jpeg

E403DC58-F929-4519-9BCD-4D161DFBCA0B.thumb.jpeg.7762d5c30137577611bec0e3b4ae9d91.jpeg

74C2AD07-A36E-4A0D-B18F-E860340AA299.thumb.jpeg.1b0e60e2cb9405d0eb0cb202535b7b33.jpeg

Edited by Mattilacken

2022 Finished Cannonballers

Here are finished  entries so far with the run about at the half way mark. Congratulations on the finished cars... they all look Awesome!

1. #19 landman 1951 Studebaker 

2. #18 cheyenne 1962 Pontiac Catalina

3. #6 Oldmopars 1970 Land Rover

4. #26 JustJim 1969 Karmann Ghia 

5. #11 Beans 1970 Camaro Z28

6. #20 Koellefornia Kid 1978 Dodge Monaco 

7. #34 89AKurt 1961 Mercedes 190 SL.  

I'll be adding to the finished list as we get closer to the finish line for inspiration. The rest of us have our work cut out for us. 

Edited by disconovaman

5 hours ago, disconovaman said:

2022 Finished Cannonballers

Here are finished  entries so far with the run about at the half way mark. Congratulations on the finished cars... they all look Awesome!

1. #19 landman 1951 Studebaker 

2. #18 cheyenne 1962 Pontiac Catalina

3. #6 Oldmopars 1970 Land Rover

4. #26 JustJim 1969 Karmann Ghia 

5. #11 Beans 1970 Camaro Z28

6. #20 Koellefornia Kid 1978 Dodge Monaco 

I'll be adding to the finished list as we get closer to the finish line for inspiration. The rest of us have our work cut out for us. 

Congrats to all!

36 minutes ago, Tim H said:

I need to get my arse in gear. Some entry's are already finished. But summer and other things are taking center stage like buying a house.

More later

Tim

Many of us have the same things right now! Not much time for this sort of desk work! 

On 6/12/2022 at 2:10 AM, 89AKurt said:

Been there done that, wish I had a dollar each time, wouldn't have to work. 🤭  Important thing, it's DONE!

This is good practice, for whenever I work on dead WIP that are stalled because of suspension design and fabrication over-my-head time.
IMG_4063.thumb.jpg.cd59ddb9f8aa154febec24a5f187a9f0.jpg

Very nice work.  I discovered that although the basics aren't that hard the application of getting the suspension on right and then not to break it 10 times during the rest of the assembly, is a challenge.  

Yours looks great!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Beans said:

Very nice work.  I discovered that although the basics aren't that hard the application of getting the suspension on right and then not to break it 10 times during the rest of the assembly, is a challenge.  

Yours looks great!!

I know right?  I have two other WIP that require building suspensions, with drive shafts.  Thank you.

Light at the end of the tunnel, got gloss clear sprayed.
IMG_4193.thumb.jpg.9245f098b00cf2b22e885c8b4920d5fb.jpg

Long tunnel.  Keep thinking of more details. 😅  Think it will get stuffed together on Sunday.  This would be a lousy long distance, across the country as non-stop as possible ride.  I haven't worked on the roof, or looked at the possibility.  It's more suited to an autocross or track weekend, perhaps a multiple day  1000 mile rally.  So do the roof, perhaps a little chop?  Also thinking about adding duzt fasteners to the headrest piece. 

IMG_4214.thumb.jpg.aa18f1ed3835c68266bfd7771644fe0e.jpg

6 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Long tunnel.  Keep thinking of more details. 😅  Think it will get stuffed together on Sunday.  This would be a lousy long distance, across the country as non-stop as possible ride.  I haven't worked on the roof, or looked at the possibility.  It's more suited to an autocross or track weekend, perhaps a multiple day  1000 mile rally.  So do the roof, perhaps a little chop?  Also thinking about adding duzt fasteners to the headrest piece. 

IMG_4214.thumb.jpg.aa18f1ed3835c68266bfd7771644fe0e.jpg

I love what you've done myself. l I'm doing a roadster as well and thought the same, but keep this in mind - the 2020 record for the CBR is was 26 hours, so if you're going for the record you don't run if the weather isn't perfect so topless isn't a big deal. Ditto if you have any car trouble.

I'm building mine based on those premises and damn the torpedoes (critics).😊

• Haha 1

Chassis is glued to the body by the door panel posts, put big globs of superglue where most of the pins had broken off the body, then held the whole thing for a couple of minutes.  Windshield is the next thing to obsess about.
IMG_4227.thumb.jpg.b5be123465d95fe09db8628a183889b9.jpg

• Like 1

I'll go ahead and throw my hat into the ring and enter my first Cannonball! I'll be doing the Monogram Shelby Cobra 427 S/C to represent my birth year of 1966. I trimmed the flash, sanded the mold lines and deepened the panel lines on June 30th. On July 1st, I gave the parts a bath in some Dawn dishwater. Today I sprayed the Stynylrez gray primer on the body, and their black primer on the rest of the parts. Afterwards I remembered I still had some chrome parts in a bottle of LA's Totally Awesome, so those will get primer on tomorrow.

DSCN1585.JPG

DSCN1586.JPG

DSCN1600.JPG

• Like 2

I got the interior parts and a few others painted gloss black yesterday and cleared them today. I'm using the custom wheels and tires from the Revell Dom's '71 GTX kit for this one. I know they're kind of technically Mopar wheels, but they looked pretty good mocked under the Cobra. I hope to get the Copper on the body tomorrow or Saturday. Friday's out as my mom is being released after a month and a half from having a heart procedure done and a pacemaker put in. I'll be driving her to her house, and doing some shopping for her and helping her get settled back in.

DSCN1615.JPG

DSCN1609.JPG

DSCN1611.JPG

DSCN1614.JPG

2 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Friday's out as my mom is being released after a month and a half from having a heart procedure done and a pacemaker put in. I'll be driving her to her house, and doing some shopping for her and helping her get settled back in.

Nice progress, and welcome aboard. I hope all goes well with everything Friday.

• Thanks 1