Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 2022 Cannonball Run Year of Birth Build Thread

disconovaman

I've had these Scale Motorsport upholstery decals for a few years and decided to try them out. I painted the flat panels gloss first so the decals will stick.

IntWithScaleProSheet.jpeg.5721ed219f3208dde08907383f762912.jpeg

SeatsDecaled.jpeg.7d8db32abb184b298f7086bb9f2d9c47.jpeg

Man, I don't know Anthony, maybe you know something I don't because if this doesn't look even more Town-'n'-Country then I don't know what. Maybe I need to just throw in a tent and a dog, head for the mountains and let you speed freaks duke it out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lunajammer said:

Man, I don't know Anthony, maybe you know something I don't because if this doesn't look even more Town-'n'-Country then I don't know what.

That does look Town-n-Country! It's funny how a build will lead you in the direction it wants to go... Is it too late for a 4X4 conversion? Now I'm seeing some fireball slots and Thornbirds on there with a pushbar foglights and a Roll bar in the bed!

3 hours ago, Beans said:

So many people with paint on bodies already!!  That is always the scariest part for me so I put it off.  

Started a WIP on my build.

So far I have the rear suspension done and most of the interior.  

PXL_20220117_060505748.jpg

PXL_20220121_215339824 (2).jpg

I agree about the paint. With the current weather at my house (snow) I will not be doing a lot of painting for a while. 

I'm pretty jazzed to get some door panel details today from Art Laski over at Scale Pro Shop. You can see the obvious problem with the dated interior bucket of the '61 Ranchero. I'm guessing the lack of hard edge, protruding door detail has more do with the state of molding in the early 60s than it does about anything else. Regardless, I'll build these old dinosaurs any day.

IntDetailMasterHandles.jpeg.8894b245814d9bec6cf86a077fe5384a.jpeg

• Like 2

I finished the engine, I'm not going to bother to detail it any more, even with the hood open you wouldn't be able to see it.

OQpIdmW.jpeg

In researching this build I found that Centurion cobbled these together from whatever they had. Some had Ford beds, some had Chevy beds and some had custom made fiberglass beds. Some had F-350 frames, and some had stretched frames from the van. I decided I would stretch the van frame.

kCfFCDG.jpeg

Because I'm stretching it almost 2 inches, I thought I'd use some brass rod to give it some strength. I also mocked up the suspension to make sure I got the wheelbase right.

TQfKp1e.jpeg

I also thought I'd go ahead and stretch the fuel take since I've got some more room.

D4GNN3v.jpeg

More next time.

@landman The color is Electrifying! I hope it stays that way for ya, Sanding pads and polishing will bring back the shine if it soaks in. From your past photos it looks like there was some soak in so it was probably a good thing the first two paintjobs had to be stripped...

@avidinha #15 love the wheels! This is probably my favorite project so far... hard to really choose this early but I'm inspired definitely with this build!

Great work goin on here Folks! I need to start getting my project off the ground.  The only thing I've done is find the hood from the Monster Mash Monster truck, the one that already has the hole for the blower?  I guess that's something,🤔🥴 Focus... Focus!! 😠😁😆😝

• Thanks 1

What did I get myself into? 😱  Now I see why I've never seen this kit built.  Revell engineer(s) had to only know how to do airplanes, it's the classic build the interior and paint it first, then glue the body halves together.  The fit has something to be desired.  I tried to put just enough superglue on the edges away from the pins, still have tape to hold together enough for a visualization.  Can't image kids building this half decent.  Today at the model club meeting, someone gave me the Fujimi Linea Sport wheels, with Advan 195/60 HR14 & 225/60 HR14 tires, but are 1/24.  I put out a feeler in the Trade section for a modern Mercedes with an engine, of course all are 1/24.  So I'm still in limbo how to proceed.

IMG_3252.thumb.jpg.744878a514b44d10c2dd9ccdfea00ecd.jpg
IMG_3253.thumb.jpg.1169c1f51e68f08f27a9d20535c81176.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

What did I get myself into? 😱  Now I see why I've never seen this kit built.  Revell engineer(s) had to only know how to do airplanes, it's the classic build the interior and paint it first, then glue the body halves together.  The fit has something to be desired.  I tried to put just enough superglue on the edges away from the pins, still have tape to hold together enough for a visualization.  Can't image kids building this half decent.  Today at the model club meeting, someone gave me the Fujimi Linea Sport wheels, with Advan 195/60 HR14 & 225/60 HR14 tires, but are 1/24.  I put out a feeler in the Trade section for a modern Mercedes with an engine, of course all are 1/24.  So I'm still in limbo how to proceed.

I know exactly what you mean! My Club DeMer was designed to be painted and then assembled, so I've wound up literally designing my own model using the kit body, which itself needs extensive rework. That's all part of the fun though.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I'm still in limbo how to proceed.

Maybe you could opt for a more readily available Power plant? GT Ford, Ferrari, LS? VW, Allison? Electric conversion? Just some suggestions to help get you out of the hole... The modern Mercedes engine is a great idea though. 

On 1/30/2022 at 7:53 AM, 89AKurt said:

I put out a feeler in the Trade section for a modern Mercedes with an engine, of course all are 1/24.  So I'm still in limbo how to proceed.

Or since it will be a light weight car.. a 1000hp Honda engine would fit the bill.. 

Like this StanceWorks Ferrari 308: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDBaiG0BtHluun67BgXgPRg/videos