Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 December Spotlight?

12 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Yeah, I would not recommend that Hot Wheels Funny Car for a first time builder. That thing is a bit on the finicky side. 

I'm with Jesse on this one.  On the 'cuda and Mustang Polar Lights funny cars (which share the Charger kit underskin cocmponents) I've built, the body components (body, glass, interior paneling) all fit well, but the chassis (especially) and to some degree the engine required skills beginners are not likely to have in their skill set just yet

Good news is once you get them together, they definitely have the look/stance of late 1960's funny cars.  .  

The pad printed front and rear tires with red stripes are pretty cool, too. 

TIM 

On 12/14/2021 at 9:03 AM, Daddyfink said:

Yeah, I would not recommend that Hot Wheels Funny Car for a first time builder. That thing is a bit on the finicky side. 

Hey, I managed to get the very first kitted Logghe chassis--MPC's Mr. Unswitchable GTO--together when I was 13. How bad could it be? :lol:

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Hey, I managed to get the very first kitted Logghe chassis--MPC's Mr. Unswitchable GTO--together when I was 13. How bad could it be? :lol:

That was an MPC kit....and entirely different than the Polar Lights kit.  I also assembled the sister kit to Mr. Unswitchable....the 'MPC '67 Charger AWB body on the Logghe Frame in the Roger Lindamood Color Me Gone kit (red box art background).  I too recall that being fairly easy to assemble....and I too, now that I think about it, was also 13 that year. 

TB 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 2:24 PM, peter31a said:

I jumped right to the model section of the video. I saw a wheel and tire set that I think he forgot to mention. Did I miss it earlier on or did he keep piling stuff in front of the set and then he forgot it?

I switched to 4K at 25% speed and got one sort-of-clear image. Looks like it's called "Custom & Competition Spokes 'n' Stripes Wheel and Tire Set":

1530030411_spokesnstripes.jpg.a29d5cf329e789b3625b5d389cb4bde2.jpg

16 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I switched to 4K at 25% speed and got one sort-of-clear image. Looks like it's called "Custom & Competition Spokes 'n' Stripes Wheel and Tire Set":

Could they be the Hurst wheels from the AMT '65 GTO and a set of redline or maybe gold line tires? 

9 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Thanks, Chris! I was telling the video "What about the wheels and tires? You forgot the wheels and tires!" I guess we'll find out when they hit the market.

13 hours ago, larman said:

Could they be the Hurst wheels from the AMT '65 GTO and a set of redline or maybe gold line tires? 

Yes, they are the Hurst Mags with Goodyear Polyglas tires, Red line on one side and Gold line on the other.  I'm sure Chad will show them off in Jan. 2022 video since he overlooked them this time. 

-Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 1:38 PM, SteveG said:

Yes, they are the Hurst Mags with Goodyear Polyglas tires, Red line on one side and Gold line on the other.  I'm sure Chad will show them off in Jan. 2022 video since he overlooked them this time. 

-Steve

Edited by Rob Hall

2 hours ago, Mark said:

The '65 GTO reissue does include a set of Hurst mag wheels.  The wheels in the Avanti are Halibrands, those are already included in a parts pack along with three other sets of wheels and wheel covers.

Interesting...my recent reissue of the GTO doesn't have the Hurst wheels, only the stock ones and 80s multi-spoke.

46 minutes ago, Mark said:

The Hurst wheels, being newly tooled, are on a separate parts tree.  They should be bagged with the other plated parts.

D'oh..I rechecked the GTO kit and my 'to-build notes' spreadsheet, turns out I've already taken the Hurst wheels out of that kit box to use on another project... too many kits, too many ideas...

• Like 1