Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the odds Revell will reissue their 1999 Silverado kit?

Jonathan

1 hour ago, Jordan White said:

... especially since the older crowd would be more likely to have a newer F-150 that they would want to make a model of.

I am the older guy that Luc is referring to as well.  Plus I owned a GMT800 1999 Sierra and currently have a newer F150 4 door.  I would love to build these trucks as I already have a few of my own cars in smaller scale.  Trucks are cool, very popular and the options to customize and modify are endless for the builder and the manufcturers. 

Although I would love to see a modern pickup release of any description, it might not be for lack of trying.

Surely the Rund2s , Revells, etc of the world recognize the popularity of pickups. I have to think it has been discussed in a boardroom somewhere.

It could come down to licensing costs. 

Having said that, Round2 currently has licensing agreements with Ram, Ford, GMC, and Chevrolet. They've released bot ha 2020 Chev Silverado diecast and a 2019 F150 diecast under the AutoWorld brand.

And I have a 2017 Ram Power Wagon diecast, so I know that somewhere, someone can license Ram product.

Realistically, any truck kit would have to be a crewcab shortbox, as that accounts for well over half of all new truck sales. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 7:26 PM, Jonathan said:

I have the Custom Silverado and Waverider Boat, kit #85-7666 in my stash.  Sadly, it only includes the custom grill and headlights.   If I could get ahold of the stock front end treatment, I'd be pretty happy.   

I have a stock front-end I could send you , even the stock rear bumper, heck even the stock wheels( they've been stripped of their chrome plating,  the front end will need some clean up, but its sort of usable.  Not sure about the lenses though.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 12:46 PM, Jordan White said:

As for the Silverado kit, I would like them to re-release the stock kit as well. It also seems like it wouldn't be too much work for them to modify it as a GMC for further sales. At minimum, it would just be the grille/bumper piece, front end lights, wheels, and decals.

GMC's have different fenders and hoods too - whole front clip is different.

My daily driver for 15 years was a 2006 Sierra, so I'd love to see this variation myself, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  I'd be happy enough just to see the stock Silverado reissued.

2 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

GMC's have different fenders and hoods too - whole front clip is different.

My daily driver for 15 years was a 2006 Sierra, so I'd love to see this variation myself, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  I'd be happy enough just to see the stock Silverado reissued.

True those parts are slightly different as well, but at scale to save some money, they could fudge a few things.

11 hours ago, Jordan White said:

True those parts are slightly different as well, but at scale to save some money, they could fudge a few things.

You mean the way they fudged the roof on the '90 Mustang coupe or Moebius fudging the headlight bezels on the '68/'69 Ford pickups?

Right, the villagers would be storming the castle with torches and pitch forks if it wasn't %100 correct.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2022 at 3:33 PM, Casey said:

That's where I think you are way off. Other than construction companies, nobody buys a single cab pickup, much less a long bed. Short beds have much more appeal.

I think if people want a 1/25 scale version, they tend to learn toward what they have in their driveway, so extended and double cab trucks. Considering the different frames, interiors, and bed lengths which would be necessary for standard, extended, and double cab versions, you can see why it's a major investment for any model company.

Really, Revell would be wise to just reissue this kit as it is.

I think you got that completely correct Casey. 

Being a house painter and staircase finisher I deal with a lot of contractors.

I can't think of any I know that don't drive a double cab short box 4X4.

The ones that regularly need to carry stuff have enclosed trailers that almost never get unhooked from the truck.

And, most of the trucks I see here in Kern County CA. (Ag & Oil) are 3/4 or One Ton Trucks with about 30% being 'Doolies'. Half Ton 2x4 trucks are relatively rare. And Half of trucks you see on on the roads are Fleet Trucks, every one of them White.  The second most popular colour strangely enough is Black, given our Desert Climate. And while being in California, many oilfield companies are headquartered in Texas or Oklahoma, so you plenty of Tx and OK plates on the road. The only Long Beds you see are special order Farm trucks, used in the fields. That is where are the LongBed 2Door Cabs are around here.

Edited by alexis

9 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

As an aside, there are options out there. Depends on how much you want it. :)

GMC.JPG.74f7ad1129708ba692a2476b097e21ab.JPG

I've printed one of this designer's models. Quality is good, with more practice, my prints will be better. Could easily be adapted to an existing Chev kit. 

wow

On 2/9/2022 at 9:26 PM, Jonathan said:

I have the Custom Silverado and Waverider Boat, kit #85-7666 in my stash.  Sadly, it only includes the custom grill and headlights.   If I could get ahold of the stock front end treatment, I'd be pretty happy.   

I think I have a stock part on the way.  Thank you all.  We now return to our regularly scheduled discussion ... :) 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Casey said:

Excellent, I would say. 😁

1999 Chevy Silverado Custom Pickup   Item no. 14538

Wondering if there's a chance it will include all the parts required for a factory stock build?  From the description, I'm suspecting probably not. (wonder if they have the same problem as the S-10, where some inserts went MIA?)

I've never bought one of these before, but since I owned a GMT800 for 15 years, I've been wanting one for a while now.  Sure would prefer factory stock, though.

I recall seeing the 1999 Silverado in the R-M 1997 catalogue (maybe the 1998 catalogue issued in summer 1997). It was a breakthrough design at the time; a radical departure from even the radical 1988 C/K series' design.

The first 1:1's I recall seeing was in summer 1998. They were pilot/ preproduction models... in a scrap yard. I couldn't believe me eyes! They were being cut-up with Sawzalls -- none of them had V.I.N.s-- and disseminated around the yard for parts.

1 hour ago, Robberbaron said:

Wondering if there's a chance it will include all the parts required for a factory stock build?  From the description, I'm suspecting probably not. (wonder if they have the same problem as the S-10, where some inserts went MIA?)

So from Scalemates, it appears in 2007 they rereleased both the stock version and the custom version (in its current iteration) and it has been custom since. However, the original custom version with the weird grille came out around 1999, so both stock and custom have existed at the same time. However you might be right where since the late 2000s, the molds for certain stock parts have gone missing.

Just for the record, the Ford F-Series has been the best-selling vehicle in the States for several decades now, and the best-selling truck in the States for well over 40 years.  #2 and #3 best-selling vehicles in the States are are the Dodge Ram and Chevy Silverado pickups, this too has been the case for several years now.   TB 

PS - if I were in charge, there'd be full detail kits of the latest Raptor and the upcoming Lightning pickups.  Dodge Ram too.  Possibly the top-line GMC, and the upcomiing Silverado electric pickup.  But I'm not in charge, so.....    TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1