Model Cars Magazine Forum

Last night wile test fitting to see what other tires Caseys 5 slots would work with, I stumbled onto this. What do you think, should I start this build? Highjacker Econoline with Ground Hawgs ?

1 ford van a.jpg

1 ford van b.jpg

1 ford van c.jpg

Edited by Mike C.
change title
  • Like 1

A few good points....I don't even have to modify the suspension to fit the bigger tires, I can go in from either side of the tire (you can't do that with the Revell wheels), Casey's 5 slots look way better, I get to design some kind of crazy 70s interior.

I’m not a fan of Van 4x4 conversions in the 1:1 world….too top heavy for my liking. But in scale, why not, it is Your model.😎Personally, I think any old truck would make a better candidate, the older the better. JMO.😈

P.S. Mike, why are all your paint bottles upside down?

Edited by NOBLNG

4 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

I’m not a fan of 4x4 conversions in the 1:1 world….too top heavy for my liking. But in scale, why not! JMO.😁
P.S. Mike, why are all your paint bottles upside down?

Same here but how can you not want to build this thing? I built the supervan kit as a kid and I actually finished it.😄

I put my paint bottles upside down because some part of me thinks that it will keep the chemicals from separating . They still do. so I guess it's more of an OCD thing.

4 hours ago, Zippi said:

Here's a little inspiration to get you kick started.

21549_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Now that looks top heavy! I'm definitely going ahead with this project but I might wait until after Christmas. No way am I going near any stores until after the madness is over. I'll need to hit the fabric store to find something that resembles shag carpeting in the right color. etc. etc............

3 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Upside down paint bottle isn't a bad idea, seals cap with paint so air can't get in, easier to mix with solid going to bottom when inverted to use. Like a Heinz ketchup bottle,

610HAoUis4L._SX425_.jpg.f44c3fccfc994b72b2afc016dc8d3e52.jpg

greg

That was another thing that I was thinking but if I follow all this logic, shouldn't I be turning them over again and again every couple of days like a slow motion shake? I think I'm overthinking this. 😄

29 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Getting back to the model, What body is that van? The 1/20th MPC?

To Mike: Why not on their side like wine bottles in a cool cellar then rotate them, you could even automate that😄

greg

it's the mpc 1/20. I was thinking of selling it but I've since reconsidered. I still have the factory sealed one in the trade section. Looking for vintage off road motorcycle kits. Especially the Baja Husky bike.

3 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Works for me!

I actually briefly owned one of those vans. Hidden issues made me take it back.

Definitely doesn't seem like something that would be too practical. I don't think I'd take one rock crawling like they do today 😲 Maybe they were good on the beach where it's nice and flat.

Started to scratch build an overhead console for the CB radio . What 70s custom van didn't have that with the stretchy mic cord hanging down. I glued 2 parts left over from those GMC pickups. Using the rest to fabricate a center console/cup holder for on top of the doghouse. I could have swore the supervan came with one of those.20211213_100115.thumb.jpg.5e156c91ecc864425acb0fe1f487bba2.jpg

Edited by Mike C.

One thing about this particular model, just about every single piece needs some extensive work to fit properly before you put the glue on. I wound up leaving some pieces off the topside of the engine because they fit so poorly. The carb fit so badly I just tossed the thing and glued the air cleaner directly to the manifold. I figured, your never going to see it anyway unless you display it without the doghouse. The engine/trans juncture was so bad, I just ended up sanding both surfaces flat and gluing them together.

Well that seemed like way too much work. Drink holder is done. Overhead console coming along. Got the back of the CB cut off to give it that built in look. I need to find some type of wire that would look like that stretchy chord to hang down.  Any suggestions?  What little was there is already falling off.20211213_122020.thumb.jpg.54f604347971d950c31775654f5047d0.jpg

I'm having second thoughts about this carpet choice.  Looks too much like the dumb and dummer dog van. Went and got some Blue terrycloth let's see how that works. I hope this overhead console works out, I already spent way too much time tweaking and sanding it. I decided to go with thin black waxed shoelace material for the mic chord.20211214_161340.thumb.jpg.959e38e76d613624a20064df499e76a0.jpg20211214_161330.thumb.jpg.9083af8e59d6a13eefb9fe5226953ff0.jpg

On 12/13/2021 at 11:27 AM, Mike C. said:

Well that seemed like way too much work. Drink holder is done. Overhead console coming along. Got the back of the CB cut off to give it that built in look. I need to find some type of wire that would look like that stretchy chord to hang down.  Any suggestions?  What little was there is already falling off.20211213_122020.thumb.jpg.54f604347971d950c31775654f5047d0.jpg

For the mic cord maybe some small diameter solder and wrap it around a needle then paint the cord black.

2 hours ago, Mike C. said:

I don't think they make solder that small in diameter. I was thinking of using some round wound guitar string and then paint it black but it would probably keep springing back to straight. 

The wife just brought me some guitar string today. So I tried to peel the wound casing off, but could not get the core to slide out. Maybe if it was soaked in solvent or something? I then wound this .011 soft wire around the .016 guitar wire and colored it with a sharpie…just for fun.

965000D7-5C21-44FB-88F3-40DEFD5C2EF1.jpeg

5EA4C8F6-B6DD-498E-BA6F-937046010CEE.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

• Mike C. changed the title to MPC 1/20 Highjacker 4x4 van