Model Cars Magazine Forum

'36 Ford 5ive window coupe, old build being resurrected.

Rocking Rodney Rat

I was scrounging around in a few old boxes of who's-know-what's-in-any-given-box the other day. I have a few hundred boxes that have partial kits, parts from other kits, started builds and whatnot all jumbled together. It's a treasure hunt every day here. This old started build of a '36 coupe caught my eye and I decided to bring it back to the bench. This story started about 20 years ago, when I was living in the Pac NW before I moved clear across to the opposite corner of the country. I swapped chilly humidity for hot humidity....

The original idea for this was to build two '36 coupes, a chopped 3 window and a chopped 5 window (a Jimmy Flintstone body, I know, it has some issues with the door side of the A pillar and the misshapen quarter windows, I'm overlooking that, I don't like to mess with resin too much, it's soft and hard to work with...)  

IMG_0045.thumb.JPG.148c1f1fadd794257dc28a5aac5647d1.JPG

This pic was taken about 10 years ago or so. This was posted on another forum I used to frequent. Bryce Michelmore from Australia, who was on that forum at the time, had expressed some interest in the 3 window coupe. This was before that chopped 3w greenhouse was re-issued. So, I sent the body to Oz. (My sometimes building partner, Kit Karson and I have a 'thing' about sending stuff to other people that express interest, why not?). I haven't had much correspondence with Bryce since I dropped out of the other forum, so I don't know if he's ever done anything with that body. 

In any case, the 5ive window is back on the bench. I had done some work on it in the past including cutting out the floor pan integrated into the frame. This will be built as a street rod, not a kustom.

kjnkjnjn.thumb.jpg.9dd67a775ac5a34bc989bf45a79f0f20.jpg

The body was originally painted with a light blue hue with Krylon (I used to use that back in the day, what did I know?) I sanded it down and shot a coat of brown primer on it. The IFS (in blue) from the Revell '37 convertible should drop into this frame, once the original front crossmember is cut away. Power will be a 5.0 Ford with EFI from the Speedwagon. Wheels and tires are from Reps and Mins of MD (I hope you're recovering well, Norm) with the baby moons aftermarket chrome plated. These narrow tires lend themselves to snugging into the narrow fenders. The seat is a bench from the AMT Phantom Vickie [sic] narrowed to fit, door panels from that kit will be used. I'm planning on a two-tone paint job in the red color spectrum. You can see my original handiwork as I was lowering the front edge of the running boards with some Evergreen strips molded in. That theme will be continued...also note the smooth running boards. 

Much work ensues, I hope you follow along.... -RRR

• Like 2

I must build a 36!  I have a bunch of both AMT and Monogram and have never build a rod out of one, other than a radical swooped and drooped semi streamlined Bonneville coupe, but I'm seeing what you are building here and thinking 2022 should be the year it happens.  Good luck with your 5 window. 

I have fond memories of being taken for an awesome evening of cruising in a similarly proportioned coupe in Adelaide back in 1979.  We were having a great time until a fellow motorist pulled out his badge and suggested if we didn't tone it down some we were going to be in a lot of trouble!

We were smart enough to head his advise!

Cheers

Alan

To match the dropped runningboard, I am also dropping the front edge of the fender along with a little cleanup.....iboibohbohb.thumb.jpg.e67de9939fab5b14ed3cfecac3097d4c.jpg

I filled the bumper cutout and added two pieces of .04" Evergreen...

1184784350_lmpmmk.thumb.jpg.e33097805620b014c49086512ff7c3f6.jpg

then sanded it all down...

guvvgv.thumb.jpg.6cfa8bbdbb65c8582e6fd08e1c5f519a.jpg

so it looks something like that....a schmear of putty will clean it up...

More later.... -RRR

• Like 1

I agree, the subtle body work with the dropped fender and running boards results in a major improvement on the stance. Thanks Rodney for offering the great construction photos and descriptions. I also have three 36 Fords on the go next to the workbench, a  fenderless dry lakes chopped three window (my own chop, not the one included in the kit), a boulevard  three window cruiser on which I’ll follow your fender mods, and a custom rag top. All have been long term projects which get better with time! Sorry for the digression, yet I’m a big fan of the 36.

Cheers & Model On! 
Misha

1 hour ago, Misha said:

I agree, the subtle body work with the dropped fender and running boards results in a major improvement on the stance. Thanks Rodney for offering the great construction photos and descriptions. I also have three 36 Fords on the go next to the workbench, a  fenderless dry lakes chopped three window (my own chop, not the one included in the kit), a boulevard  three window cruiser on which I’ll follow your fender mods, and a custom rag top. All have been long term projects which get better with time! Sorry for the digression, yet I’m a big fan of the 36.

Cheers & Model On! 
Misha

Sounds good, Misha. Looking forward to seeing your progress! -RRR

3 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

RRR, I have always felt the AMT 36's were a bit too high at the front of the fenders. Also, the Monogram 36's had the tuck under on the grille correct, which the AMT lacks. Here's a pic of my 3 window I completed a while back.

1936_03.jpg

Looks real nice! Yes, the AMT '36 Ford has has some funky stuff about it...-RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

The interior has had the door panels cut out and the panels from the AMT Phantom Vickie [sic] cut in place, narrowed seat from the same kit will be used. The dash has had the gauge holes filed and a photoetched cluster from MCG will reside in that space. The five gauge cluster in the upper right in the below pic should fit nicely. The PH pieces are upside down in that pic? yubug.thumb.jpg.9c12b476064854e70d3293030a7ef89c.jpgouh0uh0uh.thumb.jpg.af0d214c432b085c6a4bba9b5f13d7e0.jpg

I'm not sure what to do with that sunken package tray, I might just fill it in with a piece of Evergreen sheet... -RRR

2 minutes ago, Kit Karson said:

We go way back with our Mate from down under... in fact we're trying to get him over here! -KK

I think he might have had a feature on his models in the aussie street machine mag a couple of years ago too. Its available online but not an easy site to search

https://www.whichcar.com.au/streetmachine/features

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Here is a link to a guy in Sweden building a 1:1 3-window. Great fab work with lots of photos and tutorial. The roof chop starts on page 13.😎
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/36-taildragger-made-in-sweden.786196/

Thanks for posting that link. I love the HAMB. I don't spend as much time on the site as much as I used to since the closed down the app. Those Swedes do some amazing work! -RRR