Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Thunderbird annual resto.

Can-Con

I was sent this rebuilder over 10 years ago by a member from another board.

IMG 0726

IMG 0728

After I got all [most] of the old orange paint off of it there was some damage to the rocker panel areas on both sides, roof and hood. 

IMG 0742

IMG 0744

So, after repairs, casting up copies of the stock headlights and tail light area from another '64 convertible I have that's in much better shape I had this,,

IMG 0916

It actually looked pretty good in silver but i had applied a rather difficult fade paint job on it and it looked pretty good.

IMG 1024

until I clearcoated it and the paint went south on me. The cracks were right down to the primer so there was no way to save it.

IMG 1025

, , Fast forward to last month. I had to repaint the roof of the custom Impala I was working on so I had the paint out I was thinking about using on it and it was handy so I painted it at the same time.

IMG 3149

IMG 3150

This is actually HOK candy tangerine pearl base but I put so many coats on it that it ended up more of a candy brick red. Hard to get a proper shot of it, looks lighter in the pics but the rear 2/4 panels in the second pic are the closest to the true color.

A few years ago I grafted in the underhood area from one of the newer AMT '62 roadster kits but I'll be keeping the original annual's chassis plate and engine for simplicity. The engine will be getting the better looking heads/intake/3X2 carbs and valve covers from the hotrod engine in the AMT '34 Ford pickup though, it fits right on perfectly.

• Like 1

Wow, paint hiccups can be heartbreaking!  That first paint job represented so much design, masking and application and then some old bunch of clear comes along and says " I don't care how hard you worked, I'm going to screw this up!"  Like the kid at the beach who kicks over your best ever sand castle!

You have my respect for not giving up and persevering to get an equally impressive finish on your second attempt.

Cheers

Alan

Your T-Bird sure has had a varied career! Your fade job was perfect, yet I agree with Alan in commending you for your perseverance in not giving up. The T- Bird is on its way to an equally impressive finish. It’s wonderful to see the earlier version of this generation as the 66, IMHO it was the least desirable version and the proliferation of the AMT kit with its reissues has somewhat flooded the scene.

I’ll be following along on this ride Steve, cheers Misha

• 2 weeks later...

A little Christmas Eve update,,

Interior is finished and installed. Just simple paint detailing and a bit of flocking.

Engine's also done. I did a bit more detail painting on it after these pics were taken.

and the body all ready for final assembly.

IMG 3152

IMG 3153

IMG 3154

IMG 3155

IMG 3156

• Like 2

Very nice save the color is great i did like that fade also i have a 65 and 64 glue boom i picked up at meet 9 years ago i got very luck and got replacement chrome and taillights form Modelhause be for they closed up after seeing yours i will have to get both of them out and do them this winter i really miss Moledhause  they made it so easy to restore a old model. 

13 hours ago, rickcaps55 said:

Very nice save the color is great i did like that fade also i have a 65 and 64 glue boom i picked up at meet 9 years ago i got very luck and got replacement chrome and taillights form Modelhause be for they closed up after seeing yours i will have to get both of them out and do them this winter i really miss Moledhause  they made it so easy to restore a old model. 

I miss them too. I should have got a few sets of headlights from them when I had the chance. For this set, I made a simple silicone caulk mold and cast a couple sets myself and had them plated but the Modelhaus ones would probably have been better. 

9 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

Were you able to save the side pipes? They looked pretty nice and could be useful on another project. It's always great to see an old original model restored and turned into a gem.

I did save them Paul but that was over 10 years ago and we had a couple floods since then. I lost one of them after one of the floods. Too bad as I really liked the look of them too and probably could have found something to use them on.

3 hours ago, slusher said:

Really nice looking interior, Steve!

Thanks Carl.

10 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I miss them too. I should have got a few sets of headlights from them when I had the chance. For this set, I made a simple silicone caulk mold and cast a couple sets myself and had them plated but the Modelhaus ones would probably have been better. 

This is indeed looking great Steve! With regards to the headlights, check out my tutorial on making them in the tips section.

10 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I did save them Paul but that was over 10 years ago and we had a couple floods since then. I lost one of them after one of the floods. Too bad as I really liked the look of them too and probably could have found something to use them on.

Thanks Carl.

Hi your cast came out very nice it looks as good as the ones they made i have started to do small parts my self.