Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Nismo R34 Gt-R Z-Tune (first car build)

super_average_gunpla

22 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Judging by your Gundam builds you will have no worries building an Automotive subject.

Look forward to seeing how the Skyline turns out. 

Appreciate the vote of confidence!

18 hours ago, Zippi said:

Not my style of car to build but boy that looks pretty sharp.  Should be a nice build.  Those Tamiya kits just looks so nice and the packaging is second to known.  I'll be keeping an eye on this build.

This my first Tamiya kit and I'm really impressed. Everything from the molds, to the box art, as you mentioned, even the instructions include directions in English!

Sprayed primer (Gainotes Surfacer Grey) today and I'm pretty happy with my initial body prep (though I totally missed one section).  The bumper is giving me problems and I may have to switch to the stock GT-R (the kit includes both the stock and NISMO ver).  My headspace and timing were way off today...the bumper fell off after I took some pictures and I promptly proceeded to step on it cracking a part in the process. I'm going to fix the crack (relatively easy thanks to all my gunpla work) but the fitment wasn't great to begin with and it's decidedly worse after being stepped on.  Going to spend a few more days cleaning the body up while I wait for a Splash order.

Thanks for looking!

edit: I spelled 'stepped' wrong and I'm fighting every urge to fix it lol.

20211213_progress_01-02 - Copy.jpg

20211213_progress_01-03 - Copy.jpg

20211213_progress_01-04 - Copy.jpg

20211213_progress_01-01 - Copy.jpg

20211213_progress_01-05 - Copy.jpg

Edited by super_average_gunpla
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 5:43 AM, marv13 said:

what colour are you painting it? i have one WIP in midnight purple with duplicolor effex for that extra look

For my first car build I decided to try to keep it box accurate. Manual called out Tamiya TS-17, which I didn't have.  Going with Splash Paints Super Silver SP-155

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Looking nice, especially like the realism of your exhaust finishes.

Thanks a lot! The base layer is Gaianotes 121 Bright Star Silver with an Alclad Aqua Gloss coat. Tamiya black panel liner was brushed on top to bring out the details and grunge it up a bit. Finely, Ammo of Mig 0196 Gold was hand painted on the pipe sections to give a bit added discoloration.

On 2/1/2022 at 1:57 AM, super_average_gunpla said:

Thanks! I was hesitant to put so much effort into something that really won't be seen once completed but the gunpla modeler in me won out.  I guess all those painted inner-frames finely paid off lol.

It goes to show the products, tools and skills you use and have developed building Gunpla easily transfer over to the Auto's.

Nice job detailing the brakes.

Keep at it, look forward to the next update.

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...