Model Cars Magazine Forum

53 or 56 ford f100 pickup

I am looking to build either the amt 53 ford f100 or the revell/monogram 56 ford f100 (ed roth version with opened doors)

Im trying to figure out which will be a more straightforward build. 

The AMT can be built stock, which i like but the details on it are very bad ( no interior details, weak chassis)

The r/m ed roth version has the opening doors, which i think dont fit well. Is this acurate? Are there any fitment issues. 

Is the amt an easier and better fitting kit or does it have a mess of issues?

For me the foose version is generally not a consideration because it is too custom and i feel it cant really represent the stock version 

Thank you in advanced 

Edited by MrMiles

The old Revell '56 has some proportion issues (roof seems to be too narrow, among other things) and takes a lot of patience to build, though when you do finish one it is quite an accomplishment.  The AMT kit is by far the easier of the two to build.

The AMT kit is really very nice.

I don't know what you're referring to as a "weak" chassis, but there's nothing wrong with it. The engine and gearbox are just fine too.

I like the Revell kit, but it's considerably more challenging with the opening doors.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

8 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The AMT kit is really very nice.

I don't know what you're referring to as a "weak" chassis, bit there's nothing wrong with it. The engine and gearbox are just fine too.

I like the Revell kit, but it's considerably more challenging with the opening doors.

I agree with ACE, not sure what you mean by "weak" chassis. Despite being designed 50+ years ago assembles cleanly, and has just the right amount of seperte detail to look convincing

18 minutes ago, MrMiles said:

I am looking to build either the amt 53 ford f100 or the revell/monogram 56 ford f100 (ed roth version with opened doors)

Im trying to figure out which will be a more straightforward build. 

The AMT can be built stock, which i like but the details on it are very bad ( no interior details, weak chassis)

The r/m ed roth version has the opening doors, which i think dont fit well. Is this acurate? Are there any fitment issues. 

Is the amt an easier and better fitting kit or does it have a mess of issues?

For me the foose version is generally not a consideration because it is too custom and i feel it cant really represent the stock version 

Thank you in advanced 

You are correct that the interior on the AMT 53 is not the best. I would seek out the interior that Drag City Casting does for that kit. It isn't stock, but you should be able to modify it to get it closer to stock if that is your ultimate goal. Their offerings and customer service are top notch. @krassandbernie

The Revell 56 has a plethora of issues as Mark noted, especially with the body. There is also a Monogram 55 pickup, which I think is pretty decent, but not 100% stock.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I agree with ACE, not sure what you mean by "weak" chassis. Despite being designed 50+ years ago assembles cleanly, and has just the right amount of seperte detail to look convincing

You are correct that the interior on the AMT 53 is not the best. I would seek out the interior that Drag City Casting does for that kit. It isn't stock, but you should be able to modify it to get it closer to stock if that is your ultimate goal. Their offerings and customer service are top notch. @krassandbernie

The Revell 56 has a plethora of issues as Mark noted, especially with the body. There is also a Monogram 55 pickup, which I think is pretty decent, but not 100% stock.

The monogram 55 isn't the same as the ed roth?

7 minutes ago, MrMiles said:

The monogram 55 isn't the same as the ed roth?

No, the 1/24 Monogram '55 Ford Pickup (shared tooling with the 1/24 '55 Panel Truck) is a completely different kit than the 1/25 Revell '56 Ford pickup with opening doors.

I think the AMT '53 would be the best choice for you. The Monogram kit cannot be built anywhere near stock, so that probably rules it out for you. The 1/25 Revell kit is not the easiest nor most enjoyable kit to assemble IMHO. As Mark said, with a lot of patience and much test fitting, it can result in a very nice finished model, but for an enjoyable build, I wouldn't recommend it.

The Monogram '55 (both pickup and panel) look a bit "stiff" to me, except the front edge of the hood which appears to have too much curvature.  It's one of their earlier attempts at returning to cars that weren't show rods or dragsters, so they get a little slack on them.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

The Monogram '55 (both pickup and panel) look a bit "stiff" to me, except the front edge of the hood which appears to have too much curvature...

The roof over the windshield and doors is stupid high too, too flat, too square-edged (particularly on the panel), the windshield shape is wrong, the hood needs a mild sectioning job to look right...among other things, like yes, correcting the curve at the front lower edge and fenders as you mentioned.

KHS-MONOGRAM- SCALE 1:24 '55 FORD PANEL TRUCK (#2226)-3333 ...

Monogram 2971 -- '55 Ford Pickup 1:24

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY and ACCURACY

AMT 53 for sure! 

The only shortcoming for me is that the door panels are engraved onto the inside of the body.  Easy enough to scratch some since the real truck has very limited detail on them anyway. 

An option I’ve used.. the kit grille is the high end one. By simply cutting away the “teeth” you’ve got the low end grille. Nearly nobody does that!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 3:20 PM, Tom Geiger said:

An option I’ve used.. the kit grille is the high end one. By simply cutting away the “teeth” you’ve got the low end grille. Nearly nobody does that!

The MPC flip-front '53 (cab and bed very obviously cribbed from AMT's kit) has the "toothless" low-end grille, but it does have headlamp lens detail molded as a unit with the grille.  MPC's truck has chrome bumpers too, should anyone want a set of those for an AMT pickup.