Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '65 F100 4X4 with Dump Box

Greetings y’all, hope everyone is doing well.

I am making my first post (hope it works). Please forgive me if I babble and ramble.  Trying to get all this new stuff outta the way so we can get to some models. I've spent quite a bit of time reading various post here. Have seen some projects that have helped me on mine, now and later.  As I kid I built a bunch of model car kits and a few in my younger adulthood years.  But another adventure side tracked my model car building for quite a few years now.  Then a couple years ago I came across a YouTube video reviewing and building a Moebius F100 kit and a whole new interest was piqued.  Continued interest in these models and some of the aftermarket products lead me to wanting to build some of these truck models.  I had planned to build a couple of these Moebius trucks over the winter and actually started early. Not working too fast but to a point I think I am ready for some critiques.  So, with all that babble out of the way, let me show you what I have accomplished so far. Warning: I don't build anything the way it was designed to be built. Always have to put my personnel touch on everything. It is a curse and probably why I don't get as much done as I would like.

First up is this '65 F100(?) 4X4 with a 2 yard dump box. The cab has had the chrome trim removed and the tire openings in the front fenders opened up to represent the 4X4 style used in '65.

1808247213_65f1004x4side.jpg.1fe96e7358a3d9130a26e60ac9418600.jpg

New wheel wells in the engine compartment were fabricated from .020” styrene sheet. Did a lot of experimenting on these.  This end result is not quite right but hopefully once it is painted it will look okay.

123867675_65f1004x4engcomp.jpg.14ac98b5911955116ed6d50f7db30957.jpg

The front bumper/winch and dump box are from Olsen Brothers. Wheels and tires are from Scenes Unlimited.

1662178387_65f1004x4.jpg.e7bad434a27f4e00cff1b20937ec94b5.jpg

Most of this model is currently just temporarily sitting together.  Not much is glue together.  You would be surprised how many times the firewall has been in and out.  Still not glued in. Hopefully I can quit fiddling around and make some progress on assembly

One of the remaining things I am toying with is making the hydraulic cylinder functional (manually) when opening and closing the bed. It won’t be real accurate but the idea of the cylinder moving is one of those challenges I would like to attempt.

438007140_65f1004x4dumpram.jpg.138db760fb634741ccc3652d705ffa98.jpg

Hopefully y’all are okay with what you see. Feed back, suggestions, corrections and tips are appreciated as they will help me get things done.  Progress is slow as I have other commitments that I need to keep up with as well.  And I do a lot of procrastinating while I think things over.

Thank you for letting me in.  Hopefully I haven't over posted.  Will try to make updates as I have more to post, if that is OK.

Regards,

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Plain-O-Dude said:

Greetings y’all, hope everyone is doing well.

I am making my first post (hope it works). Please forgive me if I babble and ramble.  Trying to get all this new stuff outta the way so we can get to some models. I've spent quite a bit of time reading various post here. Have seen some projects that have helped me on mine, now and later.  As I kid I built a bunch of model car kits and a few in my younger adulthood years.  But another adventure side tracked my model car building for quite a few years now.  Then a couple years ago I came across a YouTube video reviewing and building a Moebius F100 kit and a whole new interest was piqued.  Continued interest in these models and some of the aftermarket products lead me to wanting to build some of these truck models.  I had planned to build a couple of these Moebius trucks over the winter and actually started early. Not working too fast but to a point I think I am ready for some critiques.  So, with all that babble out of the way, let me show you what I have accomplished so far. Warning: I don't build anything the way it was designed to be built. Always have to put my personnel touch on everything. It is a curse and probably why I don't get as much done as I would like.

First up is this '65 F100(?) 4X4 with a 2 yard dump box. The cab has had the chrome trim removed and the tire openings in the front fenders opened up to represent the 4X4 style used in '65.

1808247213_65f1004x4side.jpg.1fe96e7358a3d9130a26e60ac9418600.jpg

New wheel wells in the engine compartment were fabricated from .020” styrene sheet. Did a lot of experimenting on these.  This end result is not quite right but hopefully once it is painted it will look okay.

123867675_65f1004x4engcomp.jpg.14ac98b5911955116ed6d50f7db30957.jpg

The front bumper/winch and dump box are from Olsen Brothers. Wheels and tires are from Scenes Unlimited.

1662178387_65f1004x4.jpg.e7bad434a27f4e00cff1b20937ec94b5.jpg

Most of this model is currently just temporarily sitting together.  Not much is glue together.  You would be surprised how many times the firewall has been in and out.  Still not glued in. Hopefully I can quit fiddling around and make some progress on assembly

One of the remaining things I am toying with is making the hydraulic cylinder functional (manually) when opening and closing the bed. It won’t be real accurate but the idea of the cylinder moving is one of those challenges I would like to attempt.

438007140_65f1004x4dumpram.jpg.138db760fb634741ccc3652d705ffa98.jpg

Hopefully y’all are okay with what you see. Feed back, suggestions, corrections and tips are appreciated as they will help me get things done.  Progress is slow as I have other commitments that I need to keep up with as well.  And I do a lot of procrastinating while I think things over.

Thank you for letting me in.  Hopefully I haven't over posted.  Will try to make updates as I have more to post, if that is OK.

Regards,

Keith

This is great stuff Keith. Very nice work so far on all the kit bashing and fabricating. I’m no expert on the subject matter, so no corrections from me sir, it definitely looks the part.

Cheers, Steve 

Welcome to the forums Keith. That is looking fine so far! Nice work on the inner fenders. I like the idea of the hydraulic cylinder being operable. I did a couple of similar smaller gas cylinders using brass tube and s/s welding rod for my Willys project. It looks like you’ve got a handle on it.👍

1C9BEAF0-E854-4846-87E5-70396419466C.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1

Thank you guys for the feed back questions, ideas and corrections!  Last one first. I truly apologize to Scenes Unlimited!    I should have double checked that information.  I meant to make sure both companies were correctly recognized but I failed. Sorry Danny! I will make sure I get it right in future posts. Dang, messed up on my first post!

I really like how these trucks are designed to be interchangeable and well detailed.  Makes them fun to kitbash.  I have another one in work that I will be posting in a few days.

The plan is to loosely make it some sort of State Park grounds service truck.  Yeah the front bumper would be an aftermarket add-on.  Just trying to make things different and have fun with things that are available and 'could be' out there.  Weathering?  (shudder) yeah will try to do a little at some point.  Need to get it built and painted first. Some shade of green, Black everything else except the white grille and mirrors from Fireball.

Greg, I like your hydraulic cylinders. A little small for this application but I have saved your image for use on a project planned for "next winter".

One more item I failed to do in my original post. I want to thank Bill Lanfear for his '64 F250 and '66 dually posts. I have them both book marked and have referred to them for inspirations and ideas.

OK, time to get to the bench. Have some corrections to make.

Keith

• Like 2