Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gmc 630 and gmc astro

Since its too cold to work outside on my full size toys ive been building two gmc's to pass the time. First one is the gmc Astro that im doing the turbine swap on. Not decided on color scheme yet. Since its too cold right now to paint, ive decided to take on another truck to fill the time untill it warms up or i haul everything to work. The second truck is my "Johnny Cash" truck. Its a resin '57 gmc 630 i got off of ebay. Keeping it a gm as possible im using gmc general frame, the 8v71 from astro, mercury sleeper from a diamond reo, and a slew of parts from the parts bin

20211213_233156.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with on this one, especially the 57. I have one of these that I had hoped to build a replica of the truck that hauled the original engine for Tweetsie Railroad back in the 50s, but it is going to take so much work to get it right that I haven’t attempted it yet. I’m really looking forward to seeing what you do with this one!

• Like 1

Thanks Brian! The 57 i think i wanna try something different like a modern show truck instead of my usual fleet style  trucks. The resin casting is pretty rough so ive been slowly getting into shape when waiting for glue to dry on the astro and the parts for the 630

20211214_221109.jpg

• 2 months later...

The gmc 630 is on a gmc general frame, the big tanks and 8v71 from the astro. The little tank, battery box, and sleeper and ac, are from a white westernstar. The cab is a resin one from ebay. I also ordered a donor 55 chevy truck for the windows and interior bits, and visor. Modified some gmc astro mirrors. Moebius wheels. The stacks, bumper, and mudflaps also came from ebay.

20220317_122709.jpg

20220317_122724.jpg

20220317_122737.jpg

20220317_122747.jpg