Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Christmas songs?

Hotrod 97

I saw the Christmas movie thread, and thought It’d be neat to start a song thread, too. Covers, originals, alternative versions, you name it.

For me, it’s just not Christmas until I hear Christmas Eve/Sarajevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. That, Lemmy, Dave, and Billy’s version of Run Rudolph Run, and MCR’s All I Want For Christmas Is You cover are definitely favorites. And, of course, all the Christmas classics, too.

So, what are your favorite Christmas songs? Which ones really get you in the holiday spirit? 

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

No doubt, all of the Vince Guaraldi Trio stuff from "Merry Christmas Charlie Brown".

Either that or "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch". (Thurl Ravenscroft)

The rest of it I can live without.

Steve

Me too. I luuuv Charlie Brown Christmas music and it's because of Vince Guaraldi!

Growing up my dad used to play instrumental jazz Christmas albums, and it got me to just relax and chill with Christmas Songs with no vocals. One of his go-to records was Bert Kaempfert's Christmas Wonderland. Check out the album online, it's Classic Christmas!

The Boys Next Door - Christmas Kiss (1966): 

Group from Indiana who recorded many fine tracks and toured the Midwest a lot - even opening for the Beach Boys. Never quite hit the big time but Sundazed compiled a CD of their music that's worth a listen.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

The Beach Boys Christmas album, Vince Guaraldi Charlie Brown album, Paul McCartney's Wonderful Christmas Time and John Lennon So This is Christmas. Some of the Dean Martin, Andy Williams older stuff and yes, Trans Siberian Orchestra is good. Throw in some Burl Ives.

I HATE HATE Jingle Bell Rock and Rock Around the Christmas tree. Hated those since I was a kid and they still make me cringe today.

I don't know if I have a "favorite" Christmas Song, as I like a lot of the songs by TSO, Mannheim Steamroller, Squirrel Nut Zippers, and several artist that I can't remember the name of among others; but I've always gotten a kick out of Lou Monte's "Dominic the Donkey. (See what I did there?)

Then there's these two classics by Straight No Chaser:

Probably on top of my "Oh, Dear God, Why are They Playing This Again" List has to be "Mary, Did You Know".

Edited by Jim B

4 hours ago, TonyK said:

I HATE HATE Jingle Bell Rock and Rock Around the Christmas tree. Hated those since I was a kid and they still make me cringe today.

I hear ya my brotha! I DESPISE both of those and always have. Hideous earworms right up there with "Achy Breaky Heart." Just hearing four bars of any of them can ruin your whole day. :angry:

2 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

As a child growing up in the late 70s, I would dig out my parents Elvis Presley Christmas album. It's not Christmas until I've heard Blue Christmas. I need to find that album again.

If your parents had the original issue album with the booklet cover, that record is worth some bucks! A lot of his original issue albums had extra goodies that make them valuable.