Model Cars Magazine Forum

Howdy from Texas

BoxedWino

Howdy!  I found this board a couple of days ago and have been encouraged by the level of talent and more importantly openness to sharing skills, tips and tricks.  It is wonderful when a community can come together for the betterment of their fellow members.  

I like many of you enjoyed doing models as a child and have returned to the enjoyment of it a few times in the following years as time and funding would allow.  Now that I have slightly more of both I find myself really wanting to try some of those crazy thoughts I had about my models when I was young.  Things like (wouldn't it be cool if the doors and trunk opened like on the real car).  Well I saw a really talented modeler on Youtube do just that on a Lotus Elan. Now I know it can be done, I just need to get my digits to cooperate with my brain to see if I can do it.  IMG_1224.thumb.jpeg.55241b13ecedd14dfb899d7e19e8fd00.jpeg

I have always been into vehicles, partly because where I live you have to have one, and partly because I have had to work on every one I ever owned.   With this in mind, I love the idea of a garage diorama.  I have see some online and I see that as with everything else someone has already gone absolutely overboard and done a better job that I intend to be satisfied with.   But none the less I plan on doing my version of a shop garage to act as the background for my vehicle builds.

I hope to start sharing some of my new work soon.  I am still putting together my workspace, tools, glue, paints and other materials.  I must give a shout out to Hill Country Hobbies on Bandera road.  It is one of the last stores in town dedicated to models.  Just walking in the store, the smell takes me back 30 years, and I still have the same wonder in my eyes at all of the possibilities.  I try to buy locally, but I do enjoy the ability to order online and have it delivered to my door.  

I have worked from home for 12 years at this point and enjoy the ability to turn around from my day job writing software to relax a little bit and put my mind on something more challenging, "like will this piece of black plastic shopping bag look like a 50 gallon trash bag if I put it in this resin barrel?" IMG_0006.thumb.jpeg.24ad5ced4b47e29c2c239412ff7e5fd7.jpeg I will enjoy researching other peoples methods and solutions on this site.

Thanks in advance for letting me browse and share.

Edited by BoxedWino
didn't realize I could insert pictures in the post

5 minutes ago, BoxedWino said:

I found this board a couple of days ago and have been encouraged by the level of talent and more importantly openness to sharing skills, tips and tricks.  It is wonderful when a community can come together for the betterment of their fellow members.  

Welcome aboard Darren!    From your first sentences. ....You get it!      ... & you will fit in nicely, Outstanding group of hobbyist here!