Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Chev/Racer's Wedge. I now have a shop truck.

I've had this MPC '68 Chev cab kicking around for years; the remains of a tow truck version I built when it was new.  Combining the vintage cab with an AMT GMC stepside body was on the to-do list. 

That changed when my name popped up on the recent Racer's Wedge decal sheet (a much-appreciated compliment BTW).  I had a couple of decal sheets they sent me as well as a Racer's Wedge test shot I "test-built" for them a few months ago.  I thought it would be cool to build myself a shop truck, but the test shot was missing the a couple of interior pieces, so the '68 cab was put to good use. 

I guess its only fitting that the "Wherry Restorations" shop truck is a partial restoration in itself. 

Yes, I am planning to touch up the sloppy side marker lights....funny thing, whenever I use Tamiya clear acrylics the camera picks up rough edges that I can't see otherwise.

z2.JPG

z1.JPG

z3.JPG

z4.JPG

z5.JPG

z6.JPG

z7.JPG

z8.JPG

Edited by pack rat
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Looks great Mike. Great color, what is it? ,,  and I like the Cragar G/Ts too. 

Thanks, Steve.

The color is Tamiya TS-54 out of the can, cleared with Testors Wet Look clear.

I thought the Cragar GT's were perfect for the truck; they came from the MPC Coronets I also bought back in '68/69.  

Edited by pack rat

5 minutes ago, pack rat said:

Thanks, Steve.

The color is Tamiya TS-54 out of the can, cleared with Testors Wet Look clear.

I thought the Cragar GT's were perfect for the truck; they came from the MPC Coronets I also bought back in '68/69.  

Thanks Mike. It looks kinda like Mopar B-5 blue. 

Yea, the G/Ts are pretty rare. I have a set I'm using on a '67 Cougar I'm slowly working on at the moment.

4 hours ago, pack rat said:

I've had this MPC '68 Chev cab kicking around for years; the remains of a tow truck version I built when it was new.  Combining the vintage cab with an AMT GMC stepside body was on the to-do list. 

That changed when my name popped up on the recent Racer's Wedge decal sheet (a much-appreciated compliment BTW).  I had a couple of decal sheets they sent me as well as a Racer's Wedge test shot I "test-built" for them a few months ago.  I thought it would be cool to build myself a shop truck, but the test shot was missing the a couple of interior pieces, so the '68 cab was put to good use. 

I guess its only fitting that the "Wherry Restorations" shop truck is a partial restoration in itself. 

Yes, I am planning to touch up the sloppy side marker lights....funny thing, whenever I use Tamiya clear acrylics the camera picks up rough edges that I can't see otherwise.

z2.JPG

z1.JPG

z3.JPG

z4.JPG

z5.JPG

z6.JPG

z7.JPG

z8.JPG

very nice, looks better with a 68 cab. 

• 1 month later...