Model Cars Magazine Forum

Andretti Ford GT 66 Lemans

Couldn't wait to get this kit.  I had already done the three liveries that came with the kit so I ordered the Andretti/Bianci version from IndyCals.  Paint is Tamiya TS-55 Dark Blue.  The fit and finish on this kit is amazing.  But I will say this. the body fits together very well but I got complacent and didn't check fit it with the engine, firewall and dash in place. This caused me some problems at the end of this build. Other than that everything else fit very well (that includes the glass) . There is plenty of room for extra detail which I may add later since the rear deck comes off easily.  And I  did buy another one so I will be correcting some of the issues that I had on this one.  See captions under the pictures for extra details.  Comments welcome. 

DSC07475.JPG.7958c4126747baef7ddfc21e0fbf22d4.JPG

Engine detail was amazing. I added spark plug wires. This was before the firewall and seats were added. 

DSC07476.JPG.616f3609c1abf13008187383e1b338b1.JPG

Other side veiw of the engine. Those exhaust pipes looked and fit well.  Color is Alclad burnt iron over copper. Had to do a little carving with moto tool fine bits to get it to look better. 

DSC07480.JPG.cb47d0d6df789414f3befe003f93fd93.JPG

Finished kit on its wheels. Body had to be glued and clamped in place but there still is a little gap.  1/64 minature is a Tomy slot car body on a pull back chassis. 

DSC07481.JPG.74035cb8ea72f0a401e92136367c3fed.JPG

rear view detail. PE screen came with the kit as well as the tire decals. Had to cut the rear hinge pins so the body would snap in place.

DSC07482.JPG.aeff2524421aefe1e34d5ae4689008e1.JPG

Not real crazy with the ride height but it looks OK. going to fix that too on the next one.  Mario Andretti and Lucien Bianci drove this car at Lemans in 1966. They only completed 92 laps before retiring.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, afx said:

Nice work Rich, which kit is it?

JC..its a Meng....great kit.  Thanks for the compliment

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Based upon the tag and brake discs this must be a Meng.  Very impressive build.  The exhaust pipes are a knock out!

Thanks Gary, you guys are correct...its a Meng. Spent some extra time on those pipes.

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

I’m guessing the MENG kit since it has an engine. 😉

Thanks Rex...interesting build on the engine. The heads attached to the intake, exhaust fitted to the heads and then the whole assembly  fitted to the top of the engine. A little different than usual but it fit to perfection...especially the exhaust which is always a problem.

27 minutes ago, Phildaupho said:

Very striking livery and nice to see all the under body detail.

Thanks Phil...I didn't have that livery in my collection and am a big Andretti fan to boot.  Too bad he never had any success at LeMans. He certainly did try. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 2:37 PM, cobraman said:

Fantastic looking GT.

Thank you Ray...wait til you see the next one. 

On 12/20/2021 at 5:31 PM, 1959scudetto said:

Great model, Rich - Mario Andretti would have deserved winning Le Mans too.

Thanbk you Helmut...he certainly tried. 

On 12/21/2021 at 4:31 PM, Dave B said:

Looks great Rich, haven't seen a Meng kit over here on the shelves at all.

Dave B

Thanks Dave...I am kinda surprised. Meng is a Hong Kong based company and you are certainly closer than we are. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Rich on the heads up on drilling out the distributor which I had already drilled out a few days ago and yes I have been looking at your build of the GT40 and you have done a beautiful job on this build.

Edited by Metalmad

9 hours ago, Metalmad said:

Thank you Rich on the heads up on drilling out the distributor which I had already drilled out a few days ago and yes I have been looking at your build of the GT40 and you have done a beautiful job on this build.

You are welcome Seth.  I will be following your WIP. It looks like you will do well if not better.  I have a second one in the works and will correct and add to mine what I have learned. Thanks for the compliments. 

4 hours ago, ChrisR said:

VERY NICE!!

Thank you.

Rich I was wondering if you installed the two rear scoops on the rear hatch first before you installed the glass or if you installed the glass first then the scoops ? and if you installed scoops first then glass did you have any issues with the install of the glass ?

48 minutes ago, Metalmad said:

Rich I was wondering if you installed the two rear scoops on the rear hatch first before you installed the glass or if you installed the glass first then the scoops ? and if you installed scoops first then glass did you have any issues with the install of the glass ?

Seth....I smoothed the seams and installed them first since they would be painted body color.  TS-55 Dk blue can be a problem with uneven coverage so its best to do everything at the same time. No problem with the fit of the glass. As a matter of fact, all the glass fits to perfection. 

Thank you for showing this great build. You pointed out that you feel the stance is a bit high which made me understand why these Meng look a bit different vs the Fujimi.

I had the impression the men front fenders were too much "bulged up" but if we could compensate by dropping the ride and pulling the front track width a bit it would look just right

I love your builds, they always look so realistic!

4 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Thank you for showing this great build. You pointed out that you feel the stance is a bit high which made me understand why these Meng look a bit different vs the Fujimi.

I had the impression the men front fenders were too much "bulged up" but if we could compensate by dropping the ride and pulling the front track width a bit it would look just right

I love your builds, they always look so realistic!

Pierre...thank you for the kind words.   And now that you mention it...I think you are right about the front fenders. Its hard to tell on mine because of the dark body. The next one I am doing is a white body and i will address the ride height and take your suggestion. Thanks for the comment.