Model Cars Magazine Forum

Metal Earth 1/70 Scale Fokker DR. 1 Tri-Plane

This.....is definitely not plastic but is merely a filler build for me. If I find myself working on a project for longer than 6 months ( like the 67 Mustang that I'm currently building) I need something to give me a kick in the pants so I'll have a sense of accomplishment or, in this case, a sense of actually completing something. I've been seeing thiss kit at HL for the last few months and have been wanting to build it after building the Metal Works Avro Lancaster last year.

So.....I bought one. 6LnXAP

DOfLt8.jpg

RwudbQ.jpg

It took me two days of dedicated building with the difficult parts being the assembly of the machine guns and the finicky landing gear. The trick to these is to pay attention to what you're bracing against on any given backside surface of where the retaining tabs are being bent. If you're braced wrong then stuff starts to bend and distort. It's a careful process but it yields in a pretty snazzy finish when it's all said and done. 

Being all metal and smaller in scales, it's neat to see one of these kits (whatever the subject) all built up and while not the most detailed and certainly not accurate, they are cool little conversation pieces anyway.

The finished product....

5UUN6x.jpg

dHvwZC.jpg

gTtNTY.jpg

3gHjf8.jpg

UNFdq7.jpg

The cockpit and engien were decently portrayed with some details. A seat belt harness was built into the seat but like I was saying about the accuracy, these aircraft only came with a simple rope in which to hold the pilot in. I couldn't help but to apply a wash to the cooling fins on the outside of the cylinders which brought out the detail that much more. Each one of those cylinders had to be individually rounded and installed.

FcTIDd.jpg

and a scale reference shot:

b8uV92.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1

• mustang1989 changed the title to Metal Earth 1/70 Scale Fokker DR. 1 Tri-Plane
20 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

Neatly executed.

steve

Thanks Steve! 

12 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Wow! Good job!

'Preciate your comments as well Rusty!! 

4 hours ago, TooOld said:

Great little plane and a job well done !  I've built a couple Metal Earth planes and they can be tricky but produce nice display pieces when finished .

Thanks and I know right?!! They build up quicker than my models do but definitely look good in the display area.

2 hours ago, TonyK said:

A great accomplishment! I've had several of the Metal Works kits given to me as gifts and enjoyed some and definitely DID NOT enjoy others. As your building skills show, they can end up as a nice looking model.

Wow!! Thanks for such a great compliment Tony. Yeah.....I'm building the T-800 Endoskeleton Terminator and that one is NOT for the faint of heart. Gonna have to build that one in sections at a time. lol 

On 12/21/2021 at 9:56 AM, Jim B said:

That's pretty cool.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting Jim!! 

On 12/21/2021 at 10:27 AM, bh1701 said:

That came out very well. The Metal Earth kits can be an enjoyable change of pace from building plastic models.

Bart

Thanks Bart. I'm now using them as filler builds when I've got a project that's taking too long and you're right.....they are enjoyable.

22 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

As others have said , it is very well done and came out really good.

Thank you for the comments Mario! 

21 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Nicely done. Sounds like a fun project.

Bob!! Thanks brother! Hopefully I can get more motivated in kicking out a few more builds. I think I'm up to 1-1/2 plastic builds for the year now. lol 

23 hours ago, cobraman said:

Looks very good. I may have to try one of these metal kits.

Thanks Ray! They're not that bad really. I used a set of drill bits close in order to bend some of the parts in the necessary round shapes like the engine cowling, upper part of the fuselage. The upper wing arc was made by placing the wing over an oil pressure sending unit socket (since it was long enough for me to place the whole upper wing across) and make the necessary arc.  PE pliers , needle nose pliers, sprue cutter and X-acto knife were pretty much all the rest of the tools needed. I did use a small file to file off some of the slag from where the parts join to the metal sprue. They are pretty good fun to build but bring your patience to the table. lol