Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1964 Nova SS - first detailed look inside the box...

tim boyd

One of your holiday gifts has arrived a couple of days early (figuratively speaking, of course).

At this link I have posted 46 images comprising the first detailed look at the contents of the new Moebius 1964 Chevy Nova SS hardtop kit. There are more than a few surprises here (make sure to read the captions, using the "Roll" feature for all the details).

I have been advised that the kit will probably be available for your purchase around early to mid February, 2022, baring any unexpected supply chain/overseas shipping issues.

Thanks to Dave Metzner at Moebius Models for giving us the chance for us to see this kit in detail, in advance of its on-sale date.

Enjoy!....TIM

DSC 0474

DSC 0462

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thanks MUCH for that, Tim!  I see one little thing I'm not going to mention again, don't think it would take much more than an hour, two max, to make it the way I think it should be.

The design and the little bonuses are really promising - enough to light up your imagination with cross-pollination possibilities for other recent Novas...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
dropped verb
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, iBorg said:

Moebius has quickly become one of my two favorite kit manufacturers.....just need the gasser released.

Mike....they shipped me a completed Gasser kit too....should have a post on that one (not a complete kit review but the changes vs. the previous test shot I built) up in a couple of days. 

The two kits are in the same overseas shipment and the last time I discussed with Dave M., they were both to go on sale at the same time.  Won't be long now....TIM 

• Like 3

Looks like it's got nice 327 valve covers, but I don't think the 327 was available until 65. Does it also have 283 covers?

Whats up with picture #19? Did they mold the bucket seats OVER the sprue frame? How did they do that?! Or is it just an optical illusion?

Flys Eye air cleaner looks useful!

Yes, whitewall tires should be included in a car like this. Black walls were so base-model!

Over all, it looks like a fun kit, I can think of a lot of great possibilities!

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

What's up with picture #19? Did they mold the bucket seats OVER the sprue frame? How did they do that?! Or is it just an optical illusion?

Simple explanation on this one, Patrick.  Your photographer decided to lay the buckets on top of the sprue frame (rather than beside it) so he could get a bigger, more complete picture of the sprue in the photo... sorry for any confusion! 

Best....TIM 

I went back and took my time studying all of @tim boyd photos closely. It looks like there is a nice amount of optional parts in this kit that are ready to use such as the 2 additional sets of valve covers and single plane intake, Holley carb and chrome triangle air filter. I also see the very nice looking (and noticeably bigger diameter) aftermarket style exhaust system which after looking at it closer compared to the stock pipes it is clearly designed to mate with a pair of long-tube headers which is the one pair of bonus parts that doesn’t seem to be included so in order to use it the builder will have to find a pair of headers in another kit that would fit or extend the pipes up to the stock ram horn manifolds. Not a complaint, just an observation as clearly there is another variation of the kit planned for future issue and we aren’t getting the full scope of the custom parts in what is intended as a factory stock-only kit this go around. 

Edited by Dennis Lacy

4 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I went back and took my time studying all of @tim boyd photos closely. It looks like there is a nice amount of optional parts in this kit that are ready to use such as the 2 additional sets of valve covers and single plane intake, Holley carb and chrome triangle air filter. I also see the very nice looking (and noticeably bigger diameter) aftermarket style exhaust system which after looking at it closer compared to the stock pipes it is clearly designed to mate with a pair of long-tube headers which is the one pair of bonus parts that doesn’t seem to be included so in order to use it the builder will have to find a pair of headers in another kit that would fit or extend the pipes up to the stock ram horn manifolds. Not a complaint, just an observation as clearly there is another variation of the kit planned for future issue and we aren’t getting the full scope of the custom parts in what is intended as a factory stock-only kit this go around. 

Yes, there will undoubtedly be a contemporary street machine or street fighter themed version in this mid-1960's Chevy II kit tool at some point in the future.  (I do know that there will also eventually be a third body style at some point (and possibly even more than that?) as Moebius follows their usual production development process of multiple versions of a given kit tool. )   

I noticed the same thing as Dennis about the lack of headers to line up with the second exhaust system, which made me wonder if those pipes will line up with the outlets of the over-the-frame headers in the Gasser version of the kit, as illustrated from my earlier buildup of the Gasser kit test shot: 

DSC 0958

This might explain the zig-zag turns in the Nova SS kit aftermarket exhausts as they would need to route around the front subframe/unibody bracing that anchors the the transmission mount to mate up with the Gasser version headers (keep in mind that those header collectors are molded with open ends, which would also mate with the tabs at the front end of the Nova SS kit aftermarket exhausts pictured below....). 

DSC 0496

Since both the Nova SS and the Gasser kits are intended to be for sale at the same time, this possibly means that the Gasser version headers (and also, the wheels and tires from that kit version) could be combined with the "aftermarket "parts in the Nova SS kit for a street fighter themed kit build, before Moebius introduces any other future versions of the kit).   Of course, it is also possible that Moebius would tool up a set of more normal street-type aftermarket headers (without the Gasser style over the frame jog of the ones illustrated above....)  Will be interesting to see if this Gasser kit headers to street machine exhausts hypothesis actually holds up when the parts come out on the table and start to be lined up... 

Thanks, Dennis, for the added observations....TIM

52 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Yes, there will undoubtedly be a contemporary street machine or street fighter themed version in this mid-1960's Chevy II kit tool at some point in the future.  (I do know that there will also eventually be a third body style at some point (and possibly even more than that?) as Moebius follows their usual production development process of multiple versions of a given kit tool. )   

I noticed the same thing as Dennis about the lack of headers to line up with the second exhaust system, which made me wonder if those pipes will line up with the outlets of the over-the-frame headers in the Gasser version of the kit, as illustrated from my earlier buildup of the Gasser kit test shot: 

DSC 0958

This might explain the zig-zag turns in the Nova SS kit aftermarket exhausts as they would need to route around the front subframe/unibody bracing that anchors the the transmission mount to mate up with the Gasser version headers (keep in mind that those header collectors are molded with open ends, which would also mate with the tabs at the front end of the Nova SS kit aftermarket exhausts pictured below....). 

DSC 0496

Since both the Nova SS and the Gasser kits are intended to be for sale at the same time, this possibly means that the Gasser version headers (and also, the wheels and tires from that kit version) could be combined with the "aftermarket "parts in the Nova SS kit for a street fighter themed kit build, before Moebius introduces any other future versions of the kit).   Of course, it is also possible that Moebius would tool up a set of more normal street-type aftermarket headers (without the Gasser style over the frame jog of the ones illustrated above....)  Will be interesting to see if this Gasser kit headers to street machine exhausts hypothesis actually holds up when the parts come out on the table and start to be lined up... 

Thanks, Dennis, for the added observations....TIM

2 of the 3 extra consoles are for a 65-67  SS