Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1964 Nova SS - first detailed look inside the box...

tim boyd

16 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Looks like '22 is going to be an awesome year for us automotive modelers.

Luc, I sure agree, with what we already know is underway and ready to hit the store shelves in '22, along with some additional rumblings some of us are hearing,  it certainly is beginning to look that way! 

Happy Holidays to you and your family....cheers....TIM   

Edited by tim boyd

1 hour ago, Dennis Lacy said:

@tim boyd

Based on the picture of the gasser version you shared it doesn’t look to me like the custom pipes have enough zig or zag in them to mate up with those headers. 

I was thinking that the last part (or most forward section) of the pipes (that mates to the headers) wasn't quite long enough to reach the gasser headers.  I'll try to mockup the SS kit aftermarket pipes to the gasser headers/underbody this weekend and I'll report back how close they actually mate up....

Happy Holidays Dennis to you and your family, TIM 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

I was thinking that the last part (or most forward section) of the pipes (that mates to the headers) wasn't quite long enough to reach the gasser headers.  I'll try to mockup the SS kit aftermarket pipes to the gasser headers/underbody this weekend and I'll report back how close they actually mate up....

Happy Holidays Dennis to you and your family, TIM 

That would be good to check out.

Thanks, Tim and same to you!

• Like 1

Thanks much Tim for the very good review! I would've liked to have the kit with WW tires, but that's not a deal breaker. Those should be easy to find in the aftermarket. It'll be interesting to compare this to Trumpeter's '63 to see how it compares shape wise........from what I can see so far, it all looks good. 👍

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 3:48 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

@tim boyd

Based on the picture of the gasser version you shared it doesn’t look to me like the custom pipes have enough zig or zag in them to mate up with those headers. 

Dennis and all reading this thread....I had a moment this evening to match up the Nova SS kit aftermarket exhausts up to the Gasser version exhausts.  Dennis called this one exactly right.

I failed to notice that these exhausts are molded with an integral H-pipe (crossover).  The entire exhaust assembly is one piece, not two as I thought), and thus the forward edges of the exhausts line up inside, instead of outside, the front unibody "subframe" rails.  So, there will be a future kit version of this tool with a different set of headers.   

On a related note, I took a first look inside the final packaging/production release Gasser kit today, and it also has 27 extra, unused parts, including this entire same aftermarket exhaust system.  Hope to post a review of that kit's parts here tomorrow.

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas today.  Best....TIM  

• Like 1

Last night I was google-imaging trying to figger out exactly what year this random 1G Nova body I have is (turns out, it seems to be a '62), and I couldn't find any reference to an AMT '64 Nova. Did AMT not do the Nova in '64, and then pick it back up again in '65? Mark? Tim? Bueller? Anyone? :unsure:

13 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Last night I was google-imaging trying to figger out exactly what year this random 1G Nova body I have is (turns out, it seems to be a '62), and I couldn't find any reference to an AMT '64 Nova. Did AMT not do the Nova in '64, and then pick it back up again in '65? Mark? Tim? Bueller? Anyone? :unsure:

I believe that is the case.  AMT did the coupe & conv for ‘62 and ‘63, wagon for ‘63, and a curbside Craftsman ht for ‘65 (which became the AWB drag car).  Never seen any reference to a ‘64 from AMT.

I think since the Chevelle was new for ‘64, maybe GM didn’t contract AMT for a Chevy II promo that year?  I’ve read also that the ‘64 Chevy II lineup didn’t have a hardtop at first, was added later in the year.  

Edited by Rob Hall

No AMT '64 Nova.  Some articles about the Chevelle have stated that it was originally supposed to replace the Chevy II entirely.  Chevrolet backed off on that, kept it but initially dropped the SS, hardtops, and convertibles.  Another compromise brought back the SS and the hardtop, but not the convertible.

AMT could have revised the Nova wagon to '64 trim on their own dime, or even just reissued the '63 version in '64 as they had done with the Ford pickup kit.  But they didn't, which would seem to indicate that, like the Buick wagon before it, the Nova wagon kit didn't set the world on fire in terms of sales.

On 12/23/2021 at 1:56 PM, rickcaps55 said:

Ho when can we start to preorder i see 3 or 4 to start with.

I already pre-ordered 6 of each from my LHS.... probably have to get mote to be honest. got a field and garage full of 1:1 62-65s already.

Edited by mademan

1 hour ago, Motor City said:

Chevy and AMT went crazy with '64 models - except the Nova:

Impala SS hardtop and convertible

Corvette coupe and convertible

Corvair coupe and convertible

Chevelle SS hardtop

Chevelle 4-door wagon

Well, AMT did have the Chevy promo contract in '64 (they kept it through '67, and lost it to MPC for '68).  With the indecision by Chevrolet about the Chevy II itself, it's no wonder there was no promo for it that year.  They didn't order one for '66 either...they likely figured they didn't have to promote it, they seemingly sold all they could build in those years.

2 hours ago, Motor City said:

Chevy and AMT went crazy with '64 models - except the Nova:

Impala SS hardtop and convertible

Corvette coupe and convertible

Corvair coupe and convertible

Chevelle SS hardtop

Chevelle 4-door wagon

And there was also the AMT '64 Chevy El Camino