Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1964 Nova SS - first detailed look inside the box...

tim boyd

Not crazy about the "solid hunk-o-chrome" taillights (I notice AMT didn't find the separate lenses "too fiddly" for the new wagons); like with the '65 Belvedere, just another thing I'll have to mold and cast. Even putting them on the clear parts tree in one piece would have been better. Other than that, looks like an excellent kit that should render the Trumpeter offering obsolete. 

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Not crazy about the "solid hunk-o-chrome" taillights (I notice AMT didn't find the separate lenses "too fiddly" for the new wagons); like with the '65 Belvedere, just another thing I'll have to mold and cast. Even putting them on the clear parts tree in one piece would have been better. Other than that, looks like an excellent kit that should render the Trumpeter offering obsolete. 

Chris....thanks for your thoughts on this, as personally I am kind of on the fence on this one. 

That is because when I built the Gasser version test shot a few months ago, like Dave I found the taillight configuration - after painting the lenses red (they were originally on the clear parts tree) and then fitting to the bezel, was a touch on the clumsy side, and more importantly, the finished appearance just wasn't all that convincing to me.  At the time I thought to myself that it might have had a better appearance as just a plated part with the lamp painted Testors Stoplight Red enamel (but I did not share my thoughts on this with Dave).   Historically, at least to me own eyes, I've had really good results with this "paint on chrome" approach.     

Here's how it looked on the test shot build with the separate lamps on the clear tree....

DSC 0947  

It will be interesting to compare this image with the final results/appearance as modelers begin to build that actual kit with the plated /painted tailamps.   

I do think you've made a very valid point with respect to the Round 2/AMT approach to this topic, and I don't recall hearing anyone having problems with building those new AMT Nova wagon kits.

Having said all this, I'm sure your "mold and cast" approach will yield for you an even better result than either of the kit development options, albeit with considerable added effort on your part.  

Thx again for the observations....TIM 

(Yes, I fixed the upside-down wheelie bars as seen in this image....eventually....).  TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Unfortunately, Round 2's new owners may end up killing the golden goose with their current pricing scheme.

Especially when comparing lemons to oranges and grapefruit. 

And , generally speaking , I'm not on a mission to knock any manufacture's kits' contents ; compare content to pricing , and new tool vs. old tool vs. restored tool. 

27 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Especially when comparing lemons to oranges and grapefruit. 

And , generally speaking , I'm not on a mission to knock any manufacture's kits' contents ; compare content to pricing , and new tool vs. old tool vs. restored tool. 

With Round 2, you pay a premium for old, familiar tooling, often with new decals and retro box art.  Sometimes, new or retooled parts, often not.

Some people prefer the familiar to the unknowns and complexity of new-tool kits from other makers.  The nostalgia angle sells.  They want that wire axle with the hole in the engine block, chassis with everything molded in place, molded-in headlights, etc.   Never underestimate the demand for same old, same old.

(Only being slightly cynical and sarcastic—I like a little of everything—the old stuff and the new stuff from lots of kit makers) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

With Round 2, you pay a premium for old, familiar tooling, often with new decals and retro box art.  Sometimes, new or retooled parts, often not.

Some people prefer the familiar to the unknowns and complexity of new-tool kits from other makers.  The nostalgia angle sells.  They want that wire axle with the hole in the engine block, chassis with everything molded in place, molded-in headlights, etc.   Never underestimate the demand for same old, same old.

(Only being slightly cynical and sarcastic—I like a little of everything—the old stuff and the new stuff from lots of kit makers) 

I agree completely. I dig on the restored/ retooled 1963 Nova Wagon and the 1964 Olds Cutlass / 442 hardtop & convertible.

Both Round2 and Moebius pack their kits with lots of extra parts ; the advantage of the latter is interchangeability ( F-Series , and now the Nova 'twins') .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Thanks for the response, Tim - just to be fair, here's what I did with the taillights on my AMT '65 ex-Rat Packer. Haven't done the chrome trim yet but I cast and installed the red tail and clear backup lenses:

IMG_0151.JPG.5049694765c3282d0d1f72dbc07b5992.JPG

Nice tail lights Chris!

• Like 1

I'm glad to see that the rear panels are separate pieces. First thing I'm gonna do is see if I can alter the '65 sedan roof to look like the more common '62-'64 sedan roof, and if I can, I'll complete that body with '64 parts and probably build a period correct match racer. The leftover '65 rear panel and '64 HT body will get bashed and put on an AMT '66 Nova pro street chassis as a Dobbertin-ish hot rod. By that time I should have at least one if not both of my AMT '62 HT projects finished, and I have the makings to bash up a decent '63 HT body, so I can have a whole shelf full of 1G Novas! Happy Happy Joy Joy! 

• Like 1

Definitely a must-have. I'll probably pre-order one at the hobby shop when I head there this week.

One thing I would like to see Moebius re-introduce (and other manufacturers follow suit) is the color guide for interiors with suggested paint matches. Makes painting much easier.

Charlie Larkin

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 12:05 AM, Rob Hall said:

FYI—Model Roundup added both Chevy IIs today for pre-order, ETA Late Feb. 

I just pre-ordered two of each. I have a feeling that these are going to sell out FAST, and I have an uneasy feeling about future "supply chain problems." We'll see what happens....:unsure:

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I just pre-ordered two of each. I have a feeling that these are going to sell out FAST, and I have an uneasy feeling about future "supply chain problems." We'll see what happens....:unsure:

I pre-ordered one of each.   May want to order a couple more later.   I'm wondering if the gasser parts could be tweaked to fit under an AMT or Revell '67 Camaro...maybe do something like the old AMT annual box art kit. 

5 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I pre-ordered one of each.   May want to order a couple more later.   I'm wondering if the gasser parts could be tweaked to fit under an AMT or Revell '67 Camaro...maybe do something like the old AMT annual box art kit. 

Cool idea! The Nova is 110" wheelbase and the Camaro is 108", so you'd only have to chop a little out of the Nova frame and it should slide right under there. B)

39 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Cool idea! The Nova is 110" wheelbase and the Camaro is 108", so you'd only have to chop a little out of the Nova frame and it should slide right under there. B)

Width could be an issue..I know the '66 Nova Pro Street chassis won't fit under a Camaro without a lot of cutting (the Chevy IIs/Novas are pretty flat sided while the Camaro has a lot of curvature).

It will be fun to compare the Moebius Chevy II w/ the AMT '62s and '63s and 66s,  and the Trumpeter '63s I have stashed away somewhere....see if there is parts swapping potential.

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 10:06 AM, Mark said:

No AMT '64 Nova.  Some articles about the Chevelle have stated that it was originally supposed to replace the Chevy II entirely.  Chevrolet backed off on that, kept it but initially dropped the SS, hardtops, and convertibles.  Another compromise brought back the SS and the hardtop, but not the convertible.

I think the '63 convertible Chevy ll was an only one year deal for chevy.... I  could be wrong....

Nope, that's correct.  Chevrolet initially dropped the Nova hardtop and convertible, but reinstated the hardtop and SS.  With the convertible gone after one year, that means there was never a Nova convertible with a factory installed V8.