Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Sandbagger -sand rail

The Sandbagger was an AMT kit issued in the mid to late '60s (?) based on a reworked Don Garlits Wynnsjammer chassis set up as a rear engine configuration. I acquired a kit many years ago. It's complete but had been somewhat crudely worked on...a few gloo smears, etc. I don't want to molest the kit further. With the recent re-issue of the AMT Sandkat (based on the Pirhanha chassis), it afforded me the ability to recreate the Sandbagger using a Wynnsjammer chassis and the big sand tires now available in the Sandkat (I also own an original of that kit). 

So, here's the 'yard sale' of parts with the Sandkat in the upper left and the Snadbagger in the lower left. The Wynnsjammer chrome parts are under the Sandbagger instructions....

ouhuh0houh.thumb.jpg.3d9d22d5212fd8c215f48462f95976dd.jpg

A very simple kit. The only parts I will have to replicate is the part #25, 'frame front brace tubes' in the below instructions, pictured on the left side, it holds the gas pedal, clutch pedal and the steering. It will be fairly easy to replicate that, and two rear frame braces (easy peasy)...352307633_jnjnlklkn.thumb.jpg.84b11cf265986cfa1467b836a65dc786.jpgpuiu2323.thumb.jpg.890299890060c7cb7d87a975c4cb0141.jpg

this build is next up, after I finish the '36 5ive window coupe now in progress... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

9 hours ago, iBorg said:

It would have been interesting to be in the meeting where these were discussed. "So we've got 10,000 Wynsjammers molded up but no one is buying....What can we make with them?" 

It was more likely: "Sand drags are becoming a big hit, how can we quickly capitalize on this trend? Modify a couple of existing molds and get them out there!!!" -RRR

On 12/22/2021 at 5:36 PM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

The Sandkat is the Piranha chassis. The Sandbagger is the Garlits Wynnsjammer chassis. The box art are very similar and they both have the same cardboard "sand" display. 

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'd never seen this kit before. It was an interesing way to create another sand car version.

Looking forward to your work on this.

5 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'd never seen this kit before. It was an interesting way to create another sand car version.

Looking forward to your work on this.

Yeah, it is pretty cool...and since I have a lot of Wynnsjammer parts (I love that 392 Hemi), it's an easy build with available parts (and a tad of scratchbuilding) without sacrificing the original. I'll be on this one soon...

Happy Holidays! -RRR