Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1958 Ford Edsel

doorsovdoon

Probably my last build for this year. Not a single complaint about this kit. Like the AMT '60 Starliner, I think this is another of AMT's best. The only issue I had was my own doing where my tube of glue got blocked when fitting the top rad hose and burst all over the engine! I tried to salvage it but by the time I pulled it out it looked like a victim from the movie The Blob! Luckily I had a spare engine, courtesy of the AMT Ford Starliner. Having triple carburettors it's a bit of an upgrade for the old Edsel and it fitted perfectly fine, I also added a floor shifter inside being as it's now a manual:)

DSC01690.JPG

DSC01697.JPG

DSC01707.JPG

DSC01708.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon
  • Like 1

That is one sweet Edsel !  The de facto upgrade of the engine & transmission really make it -- same engine family at that ( FE = Ford-Edsel ) though I believe that the kit's original engine was of the M-E-L ( Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln ) series .

Ne'er-the-less...

I'm glad that you're still around. I was wondering where my Cymru brother'd disappeared to. 

Mari Lwyd !

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

That is one sweet Edsel !  The de facto upgrade of the engine & transmission really make it -- same engine family at that ( FE = Ford-Edsel ) though I believe that the kit's original engine was of the M-E-L ( Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln ) series .

Ne'er-the-less...

I'm glad that you're still around. I was wondering where my Cymru brother'd disappeared to. 

Mari Lwyd !

Thanks mate. Yeah, still around, just been surviving the horror show of Christmas shopping in my town. I'm starting to think the movie "They Live" is a survival manual and not a sci-fi! xD

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Zippi said:

Great looking Edsel Gareth.  The color scheme looks really nice.  That Ford Starliner engine fits like a glove.  Nice job.

Thanks, bob. The manifolds from the Starliner fouled on the upper wishbones so I had to shave them to almost nothing, but you can't see them when the engine is in. I think the manifolds from the original Edsel engine would work, they're quite narrow, but mine were destroyed, lol. 

3 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

I'm starting to think the movie "They Live" is a survival manual and not a sci-fi!

My favourite dystopian 80's film !  The opening vignette was filmed at the Santa Fe Railroad Switch Yard  in Downtown Los Angeles (Santa Fe x 6th Street Bridge). The 'They Live' graffiti was done up by 'CBS' (City Bomb Squad) or maybe 'LOD' (Loks On Dope --- the crew which the world famous CHAKA was part of).

672507432_theylivegraffiti.jpg.b62843af526679c197cde27e41df8d6f.jpg