Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dino 246 GT (Ferrari)

Rich Chernosky

Been in a get something done mode lately and this one hit the spot. This is a fairly rare 1/20 scale kit by Aoshima of a Dino 246 GT. This car was made by Ferrari as most know but it is considered a Dino as there are no Ferrari badging to be found on the car.  This was supposed to be a motorized and lighted model so there is no engine to speak of although the engine cover opens and there is a cast piece that sorta resembles an engine.  Doors also open to reveal  a rather sparse interior but I was surprised to see how well they fit for this older kit.  Color is Tamiya TS-8 Italian red.  More details in the captions. Thanks for looking and comments welcome.

DSC07483.JPG.8b85bfb047fc55beb81a7622883facc4.JPG

Finished model. Door actually closes better than that. Just got in a hurry when I took all the pictures.

DSC07484.JPG.3e149213f565043ae03c65c68f7e6724.JPG

There was lots of detail at the back of this kit..all of it included in the kit.

DSC07485.JPG.72ee5325971451132c71e1e27c86c672.JPG

I modified the steering a little so it sit better and I could pose the wheels at not too sharp a turn. 

DSC07486.JPG.5bcf03e689f33e55c5a93be913be074c.JPG

Dash and steering wheel were well detailed. I had to replace the glass in the doors as they were way too thick.

DSC07490.JPG.71b01ab01fc14763bf5e6dbd3f11f3a0.JPG

An interesting comparison between my Fujimi 1/24 Dino and the 1/20 Aoshima. Both were painted Tamiya TS-8 although over different bases. The Fujimi was definetly a nicer kit and its from their Enthusiast series.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

I like these kits.  It's an underappreciated car that looks great.  I got one  for the collection a few years ago.

You did great.

Thank you....if its a Ferrari or even related to one...I like it.

31 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Well done Rich and thanks for the comparison.  First time I have seen the Aoshima built up.

Thanks Gary...I have gone way out of my way to find some of these rare an odd size kits. 

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Thanks for sharing.  That poor kit, you did well considering.  I've amazed myself about what a difference the primer color makes.

Thanks Kurt...the Aoshima came molded in blue so I had to use primer under the red. The Fujimi was molded in red and TS-8 comes out much brighter over red than white.  I always avoid using primer whenever I can. Saves time and I get better results.

• Like 1