Model Cars Magazine Forum

~~Oldsmobile in Pontiac Clothing~~

1972coronet

Other than a couple of touchups and the addition of rocker panel faux side pipe embellishments, this one is done.

Paint is Duplicolor Pontiac Engine Blue Metallic , cleared with Testors Gloss Clear Lacquer .

Interior is Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black with some subtle gold accents to tie in with the grill's centre. 

Finished as a curbside "just because".

Comments , praise , critiques , and ad hom. attacks are all welcomed. 

1964-OLDS-442-FRONT-SIDE-REVISED.jpg.be39ed97f221ae21176303dcf862448c.jpg1964-OLDS-442-REAR-SIDE-REVISED.jpg.8e317c64a50b287a50262a746effd66e.jpg1964-OLDS-442-WHEEL-IMPROVED.jpg.73d63811986cbeed6c17a1621615d5d4.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you , one and all ! 

This was a fun kit to build , especially the custom version. 

A few boogers revealled themselves after paint and clear which didn't appear during the body work / prime / wet sanding process. 

I deepened the panels' lines and ran some Tamiya Panel Line Accent through them . That's where that nick on the fender came from (3rd image).

On 12/26/2021 at 7:41 AM, grodudulle77 said:

Awesome look, very nice pics !! 👍😀

Thanks much! There's one decent spot outside of my apartment for outside photo shoots. It provides a nice background as well.

On 12/26/2021 at 8:07 PM, slusher said:

Super nice!

Thanks much! It was a fun build.

On 12/26/2021 at 8:38 PM, charlie8575 said:

Very clean mild custom. I like it.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks much! I've decided to leave off the bumperettes as they're too big , resembling something one would see on a bumper car.  The stock Cutlass tail panel and lamps are a nice design on their own ; I couldn't see attempting to "improve" upon the original design.

On 12/27/2021 at 3:25 AM, Koellefornia Kid said:

Looks good!

Thanks much! I recommend this kit and its convertible relative.

On 12/27/2021 at 4:00 AM, FLHCAHZ said:

Very nice build.  Great job on hubcap detailing. 

Thanks much! The custom wheels practically beg the builder to use them ! I decided against adding the knockoffs, as they didn't look good in this particular application.

On 12/27/2021 at 7:50 AM, Bills72sj said:

Very cool build. I have a future Chevy in Oldsmobile clothing waiting its turn. I have resin 56 Olds body that will probably get a 55 Chevy donor chassis.

Thanks much !  That sounds like a fun project ! Whose work is the resin copy?

On 12/27/2021 at 3:39 PM, doorsovdoon said:

That is a nice colour. Lovely custom front end.

Thanks much! Pontiac Engine Blue Metallic is a delightful colour. I've been wanting to paint a body in that colour for quite some time, and I finally got around to it. The custom fascia looked too sweet to not use it.

On 12/27/2021 at 5:23 PM, AMT68 said:

Very nice John and.....you've given me a good idea with respect using this color on a body. 

Thanks much! The paint lays down nicely, with one caveat : its consistency is thin (what metallics aren't thin?) , and is prone to settling and separating. Shake the can often when spraying (between passes) and you should be fine. I painted in 30 degree weather, and had no problems.

3 hours ago, mrmike said:

I just saw this and I must say, it is nice!!!   Good job, John! 

Thanks much! I love the lines of the 1964-1965 GM A-bodies, and the custom parts lent themselves very well to the car's lines.

29 minutes ago, happy grumpy said:

That is a super cool model. I dig it.

Thanks much! Get yourself a copy or two if you haven't already.