Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '77 Chevy Monte Carlo

AMT68

Revell 1/25 scale '77 Monte Carlo built from the 2004 reissue (green/white car on box). Painted in Tamiya TS-92 Metallic Orange and cleared with TS-13. I cut strips of black adhesive vinyl for the rub strips on the bumpers and rocker moldings.  The vinyl worked fairly well on the rockers but tended to lift on the bumpers requiring a few touches of white glue and was locked in with a couple coats of Pledge Floor Gloss. Pledge was also used to lock in the foiled sections of the tail lights. The Rally wheels purchasaed as a parts lot off ebay are from the Revell '68-'69 Chevelle kits. Whitewall tires are from the AMT PP002 which I can't seem to find anymore. Inaccuracies with the build include the space between the grill sections not being painted (I may use the vinyl tape spray painted body color on my next build), the lack of side marker lights (I could have used .015 clear lay film but actually prefer the way it looks) and the bottom section of the tail lights that were left intentionally left red. While I've seen BMF used on the vinyl top and rear window trim and think it looks good I didn't feel the need to foil those moldings since they are vinyl on factory applied Landau roofs. Besides this one has plenty of BMF anyway. 

Overall I think Revell did a great job on this kit and as an enthusiast who has a bit of an obsession with the '73-'77 Colonnade coupes I'm grateful for this model. 

DSC_1940 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1903 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1906 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1949 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1941 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1951 - Copy.JPG

Edited by AMT68
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, steveracer said:

Tom, I too like the 73 up Monte Carlos, the fender and quarter surfacing is so surreal on the real cars it is fun to look at.  This may be the cleanest build I have seen as a car "just off the lot" and you did it justice with your details.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Steve. While the Colonnades aren't every car enthusiasts cup of tea I think they have a loyal following. And yeah the details definitely took time to complete. 

25 minutes ago, carrucha said:

Very sharp.  Well built and finished.  I like the body color.

Thanks Hector. 

5 hours ago, BeakDoc said:

That’s one fine looking Monte. Very clean, very tidy. Love the finish of the paint, too.

Thank you Chris.

5 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Well done Tom! They are indeed very classy looking cars and your build certainly does them justice.👍

Thanks Greg and to look at them is to see why they were so popular. 

3 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Sweet ride. You have done it justice.

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

THAT is one gorgeous Monte !

1 hour ago, fivesuns said:

that IS a good looking car.  Well done!

11 minutes ago, Toys4Don2 said:

Beautiful looking Monte Carlo. Wheel/tire combination looks great. 

Thank you Bill, John, Howard and Don. I've always preferred whitewalls as opposed to white letter tires on these Monte Carlos since they're personal luxury cars. 

• Like 1

Great job - I think this is one of the best builds I've seen of this kit.  Great color choices.

Bonus points for matching the rear window trim to the Landau top - I think this is the first time I've seen someone get that detail correct.

Revell really needs to reissue the Wheels of Fire version (with the correct rally wheels), hopefully NOT molded in red this time.

Edited by Robberbaron

Very well done model!  I really like the color combination too. Natural lighting in the photos really enhances the look of that metallic orange paint.

If I was to build that model (which is really tempting) I would try to improve the look of the headlights.  The mounting posts in the middle of lenses distracts from the realism.  Headlights are one of those details on models which can make big difference in the overall look of the model.

Edited by peteski

You’ve done a beautiful job on your Monte Carlo! I love the colour, and your foil work and attention to detail is really nice. When I was a teenager, these cars where EVERYWHERE! It’s nice to see one built like it came out of a Chevrolet brochure. Great job.

This is one of the nicest ones I've seen yet! SUPER clean job on what's now an underrated car (for the moment). You did the vinyl top correctly with the chrome trim.......here's a '76 Olds Cutlass Supreme with essentially the same roofline and looks to me the rear window trim is not chromed.

1976-oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme28.jpg.f05a9c198ec429bd810b32a5539bd88a.jpg

It's too bad Revell hasn't done more of these Colonnade cars. I do know of a certain 3D printer that will be coming out with more Colonnade models in the coming year. I have on the way his 3D printed (then cast in resin) version of the '76 Cutlass like seen here.

42 minutes ago, Smitty said:

You’ve done a beautiful job on your Monte Carlo! I love the colour, and your foil work and attention to detail is really nice. When I was a teenager, these cars where EVERYWHERE! It’s nice to see one built like it came out of a Chevrolet brochure. Great job.

Yes, when this was new, I was a junior in High School and the roads were littered with them! Now you never see them at all except for the occasional car show. I can almost bet in the coming years, ALL of the '73-'77 Colonnade cars will become quite collectible as they were pretty much the last of their type. The G-Bodies followed and while they weren't bad, the downsizing of that type from the A-Bodies IMO made them not as wanted or desirable.