AMT68

17 hours ago, charger74 said:

It looks great 

16 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

Very neat paint job !! 👍😀

10 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!!

9 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Great Monte with a nice paint job! Well done!

9 hours ago, Tom99 said:

Looking very nice!

Thank you Eric, Philippe, Chris, Oliver and Tom.

12 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Lovely job you've done on that one Tom. Great colour and detailing, I'd be very happy to have that in my cabinet.

Thanks Nigel. It tested my patience at times but glad I stuck with it.

17 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Great job - I think this is one of the best builds I've seen of this kit.  Great color choices.

Bonus points for matching the rear window trim to the Landau top - I think this is the first time I've seen someone get that detail correct.

Revell really needs to reissue the Wheels of Fire version (with the correct rally wheels), hopefully NOT molded in red this time.

Thanks Robert and yeah it's fortunate at least the Rally wheels from the Chevelle (and Nova) kits are available I'd be happy if they would reissue it even though I have a few more of these kits in my stash. From looking at my old brochures it appears only the full vinyl topped Monte Carlos from this era had brightwork around the rear windows. 

6 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Beautiful Monte Carlo! This has to be the nicest looking build of this car I've seen. Love the colour and clean detail. 

Thanks Gareth. I liked Metallic Orange especially since it wasn't available each and every year on these cars. 

12 hours ago, peteski said:

Very well done model!  I really like the color combination too. Natural lighting in the photos really enhances the look of that metallic orange paint.

If I was to build that model (which is really tempting) I would try to improve the look of the headlights.  The mounting posts in the middle of lenses distracts from the realism.  Headlights are one of those details on models which can make big difference in the overall look of the model.

Thanks Peter and I agree with improving the headlight posts which is something I may attempt on my next build. The other issue I noticed with the headlights is that the lenses are flush and not recessed into the chrome bezels. That would require figuring out a way to scratch build the lenses which would create a more accurate looking front end. 

5 hours ago, Smitty said:

You’ve done a beautiful job on your Monte Carlo! I love the colour, and your foil work and attention to detail is really nice. When I was a teenager, these cars where EVERYWHERE! It’s nice to see one built like it came out of a Chevrolet brochure. Great job.

Thanks Eric and the two cars I remember seeing the most in the late '70's were these Monte Carlos and '76-'77 Cutllass Supremes.

4 hours ago, Hi-Po said:

Very nice, neat and clean.

Thank you Terry.

4 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Excellent build!

Thank you Dan.

4 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

This is one of the nicest ones I've seen yet! SUPER clean job on what's now an underrated car (for the moment). You did the vinyl top correctly with the chrome trim.......here's a '76 Olds Cutlass Supreme with essentially the same roofline and looks to me the rear window trim is not chromed.

1976-oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme28.jpg.f05a9c198ec429bd810b32a5539bd88a.jpg

It's too bad Revell hasn't done more of these Colonnade cars. I do know of a certain 3D printer that will be coming out with more Colonnade models in the coming year. I have on the way his 3D printed (then cast in resin) version of the '76 Cutlass like seen here.

Yes, when this was new, I was a junior in High School and the roads were littered with them! Now you never see them at all except for the occasional car show. I can almost bet in the coming years, ALL of the '73-'77 Colonnade cars will become quite collectible as they were pretty much the last of their type. The G-Bodies followed and while they weren't bad, the downsizing of that type from the A-Bodies IMO made them not as wanted or desirable.

Thank you Bill and Revell might do well if they issued a Cutlass and Grand Prix in 1/25 scale. Interesting info about the 3D Cutlass. 

And that picture of the red and white Cutlass is the reason for my intense interest in these cars and they definitely were more desirable than the g-bodies which I would still take versus the styling of most of what's on the road today.  

• Like 1

Years ago, my dad came across a gorgeous used '77 Monte Carlo almost exactly like this one.  Silver, white leather seats, red carpets and dash, black half roof and those wheel covers.

mcm36.jpg.4c73e61eb2b9f88d9deb1fbae02e7a9e.jpg

It was a very comfortable cruise, and had some of the softest leather seats I've ever experienced.  The one downfall was the stock 400 engine, which was in good shape and didn't have a ton of miles on it.  Despite all the efforts of the best local mechanics, that thing wouldn't get above 14 mpg on the highway. 

I've heard there is a resin caster who makes parts for these MCs, so I plan to build mine exactly like my dad's, including the wheel treatment shown above.  

Edited by Monty

25 minutes ago, Monty said:

Years ago, my dad came across a gorgeous used '77 Monte Carlo almost exactly like this one.  Silver, white leather seats, red carpets and dash, black half roof and those wheel covers.

mcm36.jpg.4c73e61eb2b9f88d9deb1fbae02e7a9e.jpg

It was a very comfortable cruise, and had some of the softest leather seats I've ever experienced.  The one downfall was the stock 400 engine, which was in good shape and didn't have a ton of miles on it.  Despite all the efforts of the best local mechanics, that thing wouldn't get above 14 mpg on the highway. 

I've heard there is a resin caster who makes parts for these MCs, so I plan to build mine exactly like my dad's, including the wheel treatment shown above.  

Sounds like your dad had quite a sharp car and I'm aware of the poor gas mileage. I owned a '74 Malibu Classic coupe which had very luxurious interior for a mid size and the gas mileage was definitely a downfall with that car. 

Interesting information about the resin caster. In the event Revell reissued this kit it would be great if they included the Turbine wheels that are shown in the picture. 

Edited by AMT68

I know my styrene surgical skills aren't up to the task, but I keep hoping that one of our more experienced model builders (MrObsessive?) will turn this kit into a full detail model with an engine.  

Kudos to the OP for a magnificent build.  Let's hope Revell will reissue these again so we can all have another shot at it.

In the meantime, here's a link to the caster who has grilles for other years etc for these cars.

https://wylde.ca/canuck3d.html

Edited by Monty

7 hours ago, Monty said:

I know my styrene surgical skills aren't up to the task, but I keep hoping that one of our more experienced model builders (MrObsessive?) will turn this kit into a full detail model with an engine.  

Kudos to the OP for a magnificent build.  Let's hope Revell will reissue these again so we can all have another shot at it.

In the meantime, here's a link to the caster who has grilles for other years etc for these cars.

Monty, as I mentioned in another post, a Colonnade car is in my future to build in the not too distant future. It won't be the MC, but a '76/'77 Olds Cutlass Supreme in resin. I ordered it from Robert Burns (Too Many Projects on FB), and hopefully it'll be here come late January or February.

Yes, I'll be cutting open the hood and giving it full engine detail with like chassis and all. It's on my "must build" list as I'm planning on going to the GSL in '23, and I want this car along with a couple others to take along. ;) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Very well done.  Wish I had grabbed one.  I hear they're kinda hard to find for reasonable prices now. 

Thanks Lee. Fortunately I purchased my kits a couple years ago when they were somewhat more common and much lower priced. I personally wouldn't pay the prices they're going for now. 

5 hours ago, Zippi said:

That's a great looking Monte Carlo.  Quality work.  Looks just like the 1:1.  Great job.  

Thanks Bob. Did what I could to keep it factory looking. 

15 hours ago, Monty said:

Thanks for the link Monty. The turbine wheels available look great but I don't have an airbrush to apply molotow or Alclad. 

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Just shows you don't need a super complicated, detailed kit to create a stunning model. 

Super job.

Thanks Sreve and I will say that Revell created an excellent starting point.

2 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Really awesome build and this color goes perfectly with it. The trim is flawless and the photography does it justice. Really impressive.

Thanks Mario, and the trim was a bit of a challenge but glad I stuck with it. 

2 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Super build.  Love the color.

Thank you Jim. Color is pretty close to the factory code for that year. 

On 12/29/2021 at 11:34 PM, RAMBENNA said:

very nicely done, great color and detail

2 hours ago, slusher said:

That is one gorgeous model!

Thank you Cliff and Carl. 

2 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

A very nice build. The Tamiya Orange is a very close match to the factory color. What did you use for the buckskin interior/vinyl top?

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie and I always liked the factory orange metallics on these cars in '75 and '77 especially since they weren't always the norm. The top and interior is just Rustoleum 2X Khaki. Only available in gloss I spray the interior in Testors Dullcote and then applied a couple coats of Pledge Floor gloss until I acheived the desired sheen. 

• 3 weeks later...