Model Cars Magazine Forum

One-Off #19 (Deadline Jan. 2, 2022 12:00 PM CET)

This is the last quiz of 2021. The idea for this car came from Matt Bacon. Thanks Matt

Deadline Jan. 2, 2022 12:00 PM CET

The rules for the Autoquiz and One-Off Build Quiz  are

• No answers allow in the ongoing Auto quiz thread
  • No comments  in the ongoing Auto quiz thread that give any clues or suggestion to the car in question
  • A PM must be sent to the one who has started the ongoing thread 
  • The PM must contain Year of production, Manufacturer and Type
  • In case of violating the rules  the quiz will closed immediately and no winners will be announced
  • So please stick with the rules and don't ignore them. 

One-off 19.jpg

This car was build in 1981 by Ghia vor AC it is the 3000 ME prototype.  It is not based on the Pontiac Fiero, but it focused on it as a rival so the idea of Bob Lutz former Ford president. iThe cars was later gone into production with some modifications.

The correct answer were sent in by:

matthijsgrit

Bucky

Richard Bartrop

peteski

Ace-Garageguy

thatz4u

VW93

Congratulations

12 hours ago, carsntrucks4you said:

This car was build in 1981 by Ghia vor AC it is the 3000 ME prototype... The cars was later gone into production with some modifications.

That's not exactly correct.

The car shown above was referred to as the AC Ghia.

1981 AC Ghia Concept | Based on ME 3000 mechanicals ...

It was a Ford-backed re-skin of the AC 3000ME that had been in limited production since 1979, shown below, and built through 1985.

AC 3000 ME - 1981

AC supplied Ghia with two AC 3000ME platforms, including one complete car which was de-skinned, and on which the AC Ghia prototype was built...but the AC Ghia, the subject of this thread, was never series produced  (EDIT: though it appeared in at least two different paint schemes).

The bare AC 3000ME chassis shipped to Ghia by AC was stretched to become the basis of another Ghia prototype for Ford, the 1982 Quicksilver.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/04/how-awesome-would-it-have-been-if-lincoln-produced-its-1983-quicksilver-ghia-concept/

ME-rolling-chassis-later-version.jpg

Anglo-Italian Dream Machine - - Hemmings Motor News

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.FRBuEwUBi-EGKb4wFUF2LwAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I can see a lot of citroen bx styling in this one, especially around the back end

Probably not surprisingly. Marcello Gandini at Bertone did the BX, and there was a lot of cross-pollination among design houses.

The BX was already in production when the Ghia Quicksilver hit the show circuit, and it's likely that the former influenced the latter, at least somewhat...and I find the Quicksilver to be cleaner overall.

To me, the most remarkable thing about the Quicksilver is the fact that it's a mid-engined 4-door...a very unusual configuration.