Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photo Comparo - 1st vs. 2nd version Prock & Howell 1933 Willys Flip Top Gasser builds from Steve Perry and I....

tim boyd

Some of you have been following my build thread on the "WIP - Drag Racing" forum folder here at the MCM forum.  But for those who've not seen that, some 53 years after I started building my replica of the first version Prock & Howell Willys Gasser, finally finished the project and soon thereafter joined Steve Perry for a combined photo session of my own project next to Steve's semi-scratchbuilt, former MCM cover car replica of the second version of the Prock & Howell Gasser. 

In the interest of brevity here on the board, I'm posting just a few images from our comparo photography session.  You can see the entire set of 13 images here. 

And in case you missed the build thread, including all the issues with the project and several disappointments along the way, you can read that here.  

One thing becomes very evident in viewing the comparo pictures below.  Modeling techniques and model builder skills have advanced greatly over the last four decades. Compare the chassis shots with Steve's largely scratchbuilt componentry vs. my kit-based conversions. While my model with its very late 1960's origins would have been very competitive (though probably not a Best in Show winner) in the yearly MPC Customizing Contest series, it wouldn't have stood even a remote chance vs. Steve's model building talents today.

DSC 0430

DSC 0454

DSC 0432

DSC 0439

To wrap up, I want to publicly acknowledge Steve Perry for his inspiration in getting me to finally finish this project I started 53 years ago, and for hosting this comparo photo session which was a very big motivating factor in said completion.  Thanks Steve!   TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tim!

Interesting comparison. Both are nice representations, bravo!

I had the brightly colored "Hot Rod Racing Gallery" photo on my room wall for many years. Had the bad habit of cutting up early issues, Oh well...

CT

Claude....I did that too!  My poor Mom and Dad....coming in my bedroom and seeing those Hot Rod and other mag cutouts, taped up on my wall.....then there was the huge poster from the Chicago IV (live at Carnegie Hall) thumbtacked and hanging from the ceiling....smile!   TIM 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Claude....I did that too!  My poor Mom and Dad....coming in my bedroom and seeing those Hot Rod and other mag cutouts, taped up on my wall.....then there was the huge poster from the Chicago IV (live at Carnegie Hall) thumbtacked and hanging from the ceiling....smile!   TIM 

Hi Tim!

On the subject of things hanging on the walls...

Champion Spark Plugs had a giant poster (4x5), reproducing its magazine ad,  that was offered for sale trough Hot Rod Magazine. The usuals: send 2$ and wait for the poster tube in the mail. Sadly, all I got was a letter telling me that "shipping to Canada was too expensive, sorry, etc. ".

So, I made it an art class exercise to make my own copy of the illustration (my art teacher was very patient), with a projector, some gouache (!), and a large sheet of paper. Ultimately, it was the centerpiece of an ever-evolving "exhibit" of pictures of funny-cars and rods for most of my teen years. My late mom decided to "recycle" it when I was away at college. 

Memories...  I had that Chicago album too! The world is a small place after all, they say!

Regards, 

CT 

Thanks guys for the comments on the photos, and again, thanks to Steve Perry for arranging the photo session.  This was one of the top highlights of my 2021 modeling year, and fulfillment of a dream I've had ever since first seeing Steve's model about 15 years ago.  Happy to be able to share it with you all.  And best wishes to everyone for a great 2022 modeling year.   TIM  

On 1/12/2022 at 1:31 AM, Lobo2me said:

Hi Tim. Nice work! Prock & Howell cars were my inspiration. Thought you'd like to see a third cousin. Best regards...

IMG_8671.jpeg

IMG_8659.jpeg

IMG_8652.jpeg

IMG_8745.jpeg

IMG_8775.jpeg

Thanks for posting, Steve.  Looks like you had great fun building that model, I'd bet.   

And there is yet another model inspired by the P&H Gasser out there (this time, the second version),,,,ran across some photos a few weeks back of a replica of the real car built by John Teresi.....TB  

Edited by tim boyd
  • Thanks 1