Model Cars Magazine Forum

Honda Takata NSX

I finished this Tamiya kit of the Honda Takata Dome NSX on Christmas Eve.  You can check out the build thread here: Tamiya Honda Takata Dome NSX - WIP: Other Racing: Road Racing, Land Speed Racers - Model Cars Magazine Forum

All information about the build is in the link above.  The build took me 80 hours.  A lot of that time was in masking and painting.  For the body I used Gravity Colors - Spain's Honda Takata Green Effect, Zero Paints' Pure Brilliant White and Tamiya LP-5 Semi-Gloss Black.  Other items were shot with AK Interactive Xtreme Metals and Alclads.  I used Tamiya's PE set for this car.

I could not decide which background I liked the best, the black or the white, so I'll post them both.  Let me know what you think!

20211224 140244

20211224 140409

20211224 140627

20211224 140802

20211224 140932

20211224 140841

20211224 141928

20211224 142031

20211224 142112

20211224 142209

20211224 142341

20211224 142437

• Like 2

Well on returning for a second look I’ve now decided I like the white background better ... I can understand why you couldn’t decide. I think I’ve decided the white looks more clean and crisp, whereas the reflection in the black makes it more busy and seems to dull the green a tiny bit ... Both are winners however👍

21 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

John...that really did turn into  a masterpiece.  Really enjoyed the WIP.  The white background looks the best in my opine.  Shows off the car more with less reflection.  You did a great job...time well spent.

I appreciate the kind words, Rich!  It is such a nice kit.  I don’t think I could have screwed it up even if I tried…lol.

21 hours ago, Venom said:

John, everything appears to be flawless ... Really great work, and great photos too!🤠👍

*And I like the black background more

7 hours ago, Venom said:

Well on returning for a second look I’ve now decided I like the white background better ... I can understand why you couldn’t decide. I think I’ve decided the white looks more clean and crisp, whereas the reflection in the black makes it more busy and seems to dull the green a tiny bit ... Both are winners however👍

Thanks, Josh!  I think that I agree with you about the backgrounds.  I like the black for the artistic qualities.  I think the white better captures the true color/hue/tint of the paint.

On 12/27/2021 at 11:09 PM, 89AKurt said:

That is a killer build!  I like the white background better too.

Thanks, Kurt!  I am definitely pleased with how it turned out!

On 12/27/2021 at 11:49 PM, slusher said:

Beautifully done!

I appreciate it, Carl!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 12:55 AM, RancheroSteve said:

You really aced this one - just perfect! I have the Avex Dome version that I hope to get to one of these days.

Thank you, Steve!  I will be looking forward to seeing yours.  I have all but one of these.  I forget which one I am missing.  I wasn’t sure how I would feel about that diecast chassis plate and I’m still not sure…lol.  There is really nothing to see on the underside of these cars anyhow so it wasn’t a deal breaker for me.

On 12/28/2021 at 9:30 AM, TarheelRick said:

That is one wicked looking Honda, beautiful build.  I prefer the black background, IMHO the reflections add to the sinisterness (?) of the photos.

Thanks for the kind words, Ricky!  You and I are on the same page regarding the black base and reflections.  It doesn’t work on all of my models but I think It looks pretty cool with this one.

On 1/4/2022 at 2:54 PM, Silver Foxx said:

A great looking build , you do really nice work .

Thank you, Bruce! I appreciate it!

On 1/4/2022 at 9:47 PM, majel said:

That is a fantastic build!!  Both backgrounds look good, but i prefer the white, it's less busy.

Thanks, Jim!  I hear you about the backgrounds.  I really like the black for the artsy-fartsy aspect but I like the white for the cleanness.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, galaxyg said:

Fantastic clean build. I prefer the darker background.

Thanks, Michael!

12 hours ago, TonyK said:

Perfect! Tamiya kits are the best and your skills matched the kit. I like the black background with the reflection as it highlights your great photography.

I appreciate the kind words, Tony!

11 hours ago, PatW said:

WOW! Well done. I'd seen them race on numerous occasions. 

Thanks, Pat!  That would be so cool to see them run.  I’ve watched a few videos on them.  Pretty cool cars, IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...