Model Cars Magazine Forum

So like many of us I have a lot of stalled builds that have not been shared in build topic's.

Most are just basic oob builds and would be very short thread's, so I figured I would start this topic as a place to share all my updates and on going progress with the builds.

Here is the parking lot I would like to get completed. Wide variety of subjects and style's

4VnMesj.jpg

nTeoCMt.jpg

Ot5h0es.jpg

Im going to make a deal with myself, no new builds until two stalled get completed. Thats the plan for 2022.

Think il start with this one to get the ball rolling. Already has the body painted just need to paint and detail interior parts, BMF and finalize exterior details.

gP0fCHD.jpg

2VgI8tT.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

Nice parking lot, there are some in there that I’m curious about, the sedan and the coupe with the exposed blowers, I can’t place them. 

Should have said a yard sale as none are finished or running LOL!

The sedan is an Australian Holden HK Premier.

rP15Wqg.jpg

It is from The Parts Box an Aussie business that sell resin kits and parts. 

When it makes it back to the bench I will explain more about the build.

full%20mock%20up.jpg

full%20mock%20up%201.jpg

Inspired by our burnt out cars. Wont be going green with it though.

EgKWIZl.jpg

The coupe is an odd ball for sure, its a custom 77 Nissan Skyline 210. Inspiration came from Dom's Charger from Fast and Furious, also Aussie burn out cars.

OT2WL2F.jpg

Again when it gets back to the bench I will show what I done to the front and engine bay.

nLwPeLB.jpg

TVnr0MS.jpg

1 hour ago, espo said:

The one that really stands out to me is the Manero Ute. 

Yeah the ute does stand out a bit from the rest being so different. Its an Australian Holden VE Commodore Ute.

HAWo4mY.jpg

It was 3D designed and printed by a very talented Aussie bloke.  As with all I will explain more detail of the build when I drag it out onto the bench.

DfkG6dK.jpg

QHKw7qt.jpg

E6fSpq2.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand

Oh boy…. This is going to be good. I have a bunch of Holden Ute photos on my tablet as inspiration for future builds. Hoping that one gets on the bench soon because I know I will be inspired to dive in. I really love the older Holden’s, and the Aussie Ute’s, so cool.

Cheers mate

16 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

How did you do the paint on the green and black car. Does that need much to finish it?

Thanks for the interest Bob.

The paint on the Nissan Cedric is done with wet wipes that are dried out and stretched out over the surface.

Undecided on how I want to finish the paint work, possibly some fading and pearl over coat. So not much to finish it really, just a small amount of paint work.

These were some test pieces I was trying out the paint technique.

Oabudna.jpg

lYJxSGd.jpg

fpLuwVF.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Looking forward to seeing more of these, the burn out cars especially cos you just dont see them anywhere else

I have so many idea's for burn out cars, need to get these couple out the way to start some new ones.

9 hours ago, Steve H said:

Oh boy…. This is going to be good. I have a bunch of Holden Ute photos on my tablet as inspiration for future builds. Hoping that one gets on the bench soon because I know I will be inspired to dive in. I really love the older Holden’s, and the Aussie Ute’s, so cool.

Cheers mate

It will be a journey to complete them all.

Holden made the best ute's, so many cool style's and shapes. 

As mentioned the Hakosuka 4 door is up on the bench first.

gP0fCHD.jpg

I dont not take the building of these kits seriously at all, just fun builds to maintain skills, try new techniques and can be great quick build slump busters.

And they are something different

This is the kit that it is being built from.

Dcpi3Fc.jpg

Has a few options for parts, which is good fun picking a combo of parts to use and build up my own version. Kinda like the 3n1 kits by other the manufacturers.

bsfMplx.jpg

Picked out the interior parts. Although I did change my mind with the steering wheel after taking this pic. Very basic, easy to work with and detail paint.

rcINW6A.jpg

I like the stock seats, they work out good for bucket style seats with the head rest removed.

6IAbtj3.jpg

0S1ZDBL.jpg

All parts were cleaned up and prepared.

MZ5pC6P.jpg

Applied the usual 1500 grey and black finishing surfacer's.

2wlSr02.jpg

Nice warm day tomorrow 38'C/100'F, should dry/cure these parts in no time.

• Like 1

Its good and bad seeing all the stalled builds in one group shot. Good that some are already painted, so hard part is out the way. But bad because of how many there are.

All good, a reminder and push will be helpful to get me motivated to work on the Stang again.

Thanks for always following along Martin.

On 1/1/2022 at 11:24 PM, scalepeter said:

nice to see some aussie  models on here.   i've got one of the hk sedans in my stash.    I too need to get some projects finished.   Some nice work going on here

Yeah its good to have some Aussie cars to share, but man they are very challenging to build. Always good to finish up stalled builds. Thanks for checking in Peter.

7 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Great to see this thread Luke, I always enjoy seeing your builds. I spy a Laurel coupe and Sunny truck there in addition to those already mentioned.

Thanks Nigel, always appreciate you sussing out the builds and commenting.

Laurel stalled out as I cant decide on the paint. Guess I could always paint it black LOL!  Nah il do something different probably like the box art, but different colours. Its got a bit of that bosozoku/zokusha styling to it, so kinda needs a flashy paint job.

Hmnf4RC.jpg

I really like the shape and styling of the C130, especially with the radical fender flares.

2FFb7Sb.jpg

LrMGczq.jpg

7g7hXl9.jpg

You would have seen the Sunny when I showed the pics in What Did You Accomplish Today topic.

qesO345.jpg

Sg5CMWg.jpg

7 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

That lipstick red interior is amazing Luke! 

Thanks, it certainly lives up to its name of bright red.

Next up on the bench.

I have already built a 62 Bel Air, but got this kit for next to nothing due to a broken C pillar from ole mate Ray some years back.

Started building and got it painted in 2020 then stalled until now. Decided to go all black on this one after building my 61 Chevrolet

k8W885U.jpg

Not sure about the wheels anymore, might change to something else. 

BlCPrkj.jpg

Engine is partially done, need some linkage detail.

qQNPZng.jpg

• Like 1

Lots of kewl looking projects going on Luke.  Kinda looks like black is your favorite color.  I really like that 62 with the 409 in the business end.  You need to do a video of your paint process on how you get those mirror finish paint jobs.  

Edited by Zippi

13 hours ago, Zippi said:

Lots of kewl looking projects going on Luke.  Kinda looks like black is your favorite color.  I really like that 62 with the 409 in the business end.  You need to do a video of your paint process on how you get those mirror finish paint jobs.  

Thanks for checking in Bob.

Just a few LOL!

Yeah black is my favorite. I will do others colour's when I get bored with black, want to do something different or be inspired by a 1:1.

More than willing to share the process I use for the black paint jobs, but unfortunately I dont have the courage to do a video tutorial sorry.

11 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Very unique kit, nice work on the foil. 

Thanks, its something different. Not my best foil job but looks the part, so its all good.

11 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

@Cool Handdid you make the stand the engine is on? 

Yeah made from sprue frame's.

UJfzVaA.jpg

• Like 1

• Cool Hand changed the title to Lead City Customs