Model Cars Magazine Forum

59 minutes ago, Cool Hand said:

Thanks for checking in Bob.

Just a few LOL!

Yeah black is my favorite. I will do others colour's when I get bored with black, want to do something different or be inspired by a 1:1.

More than willing to share the process I use for the black paint jobs, but unfortunately I dont have the courage to do a video tutorial sorry.

Thanks, its something different. Not my best foil job but looks the part, so its all good.

Yeah made from sprue frame's.

UJfzVaA.jpg

It’s a darn neat design, I may try my hand at copying one! Looks especially handy at detailing a complete engine.

Cant take credit for idea, many years ago seen someone make something similar out of sprue tree's. I just designed my own version.

I find it very helpful when building up an engine and detailing it. I usually white glue to the pin so it stays in place.

• Like 1

Thanks Bil and Bob.

I posted this in another topic, but here it is again for this thread.

After the above pic.

Had some micro orange peel, so today polished the body with Coarse and Fine using the Tamiya compound sponges, and then polished the Finish with a micro fiber polishing cloth. Rinsed with warm water to remove any left over residue and to remove static.

1ptu1R9.jpg

No clear, no wax. Just Tamiya TS-14 Black, polished with the compounds.

g9lPLjg.jpg

BMF tomorrow.

Thanks for posting all that good info Luke.  The problem for me is the first step.  I can't get the Tamiya rattle can paint to look like that from the get go.  All those polish compounds may help me but I think I need a magic wand 😋

27 minutes ago, Cool Hand said:

No worries Bob, sometimes its all about experimenting trying different techniques each time you use the Tamiya spray paint. Eventually you will become familiar with how to apply it just right.  Practice, practice.

I will work on it this summer.  Thanks Luke.

Didnt quite get all the foil work done today. 

Lower rear window trim is tricky, no edge to follow when cutting the foil. So used Guthmiller's technique using masking tape as a cutting guide. But I put the tape down first then put the BMF over the tape.

ZSRzALd.jpg

RrRKLuC.jpg

Cut a thin strip of tape and layed it down following the shape.

Ln4y1jB.jpg

4jl6i2O.jpg

BMF applied over the tape.

3r90qVd.jpg

Its a great technique that works very well and is super helpful. 10-15 years ago I could have free hand cut the foil. No way I could do that now a days.

Just need to do the side trim BMF, dont think I will do the trim on the rear tail panel . Like the clean look it has now. There is enough chrome with the tail light trim rings to break up the black I think.

g0PjBWm.jpg

Wow!!! That black paint/mirror  is spectacular Luke, now we know what you look like! I have a real soft spot for ‘62 Impalas and bubble tops. I’m generally not a fan of black wheels, but thee are times that they really work, this is certainly one of those times. I think you have just the right amount of chrome to set things off, and break up the black. Thanks for showing the Guthmiller tape trick, I remember seeing it a while back, but that was a good reminder. Coming along VERY nicely Luke. 

Cheers, Steve

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Steve H said:

Wow!!! That black paint/mirror  is spectacular Luke, now we know what you look like! I have a real soft spot for ‘62 Impalas and bubble tops. I’m generally not a fan of black wheels, but thee are times that they really work, this is certainly one of those times. I think you have just the right amount of chrome to set things off, and break up the black. Thanks for showing the Guthmiller tape trick, I remember seeing it a while back, but that was a good reminder. Coming along VERY nicely Luke. 

Cheers, Steve

Thanks mate.

Yeah, bald, glasses and grey beard LOL!

How can anyone not like the bubble tops, such a cool style and design, especially the Bel Air.

I think the same with black wheels the rim can get lost in the tyre and the inner fender.

Appreciate the feedback on the ratio of chrome to black. Was hoping someone would back my thinking of having it just right.

Can see myself using Guthmiller's tape trick more often with foil work, certainly helps having a guide line to follow when there is no defined trim edge or when you cant see the trim edge. I usually pre scribe around all the trim to help have a cut line also. I think doing both methods will make cutting and trimming the foil a bit easier.

Mock Up Monday.

This is something I like to do when not wanting to start a new build but want to suss out an idea I might have for a future build.

After seeing Ray aka cobraman builds of the Revell 57 Snap kit, it got me thinking about ideas for the kits I have in the stash.

So it got the better of me and dug out the kit for a few wheel mocks. Bonus is its already molded in my favourite colour combo. Pity im not thinking of going with those colours.

Pegasus #1121 Mini T's, liking these for the old school street machine, hot rod or Lowrider style.

UA7PwVf.jpg

Pegasus #1123 Sovereigns, again would be good for the old school style's.

LlO0XGn.jpg

Pegasus #1274 and #2301 Chrome T's 19'/23' combo for the more modern style. This is my favourite as id like to go custom and shave the body smooth.

mmRX7gg.jpg

And this is the colour ive chosen for the 57.

qSEtTGy.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 1

Hi Luke, first… that ‘62 is outstanding sir. You really nailed it with just the right amount of chrome against the black. Of course it helps having an absolutely mirror smooth black paint job, I can’t believe how rich and smooth it is, top shelf. 
With the ‘57, if you go option #3 maybe just a pinch higher in the rear? (I can’t believe I just said that!) Or a pinch lower in the front? (That sounds better) Like a mil or less, just for a touch of rake. Just my 2cents, but that is my taste, obviously your build your way, and the end result will no doubt be stellar. You have to admit there is definitely some irony that it’s modded in black and you’re not going black. 

I will watch for the 62 under glass.

Cheers, Steve

Well Luke, you sure nailed the BMF. And yes, The masking tape guide method is sometimes a lifesaver.  Great looking '62 and I'm so envious of that black paint job.

Being a huge '57 Chevy fan I will sure be looking in on that build. Pretty color. The snapper I did in a slightly darker blue.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Teaser pic to show the 62 Bel-Air is complete. 

eDfS9ZD.jpg

Perfect! That’s it… one word. I wanna go cruising in that thing! The black bumpers/chrome grill, very nice. Look forward to the glamour shots under glass. Beautiful work as always Luke.

• Thanks 1

• Cool Hand changed the title to Lead City Customs