Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 hours ago, Sandboarder said:

Leave the front of the Nova  stock and drop the rear a little for that squatting stance all the trucks are frothing over atm. 

Im serious tho, it’ll be like all the XY’s getting around that are stock in the front and dropped in the rear. 

Decided to wing it with no test fitting and see what it ends up like. Flip the front axle to above the leaf, and 4mm axle blocks on the rear. LOL!

Thats the stance ive always liked anyways if I dont go level.

Edited by Cool Hand

3 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Good observation skills as always Roger.

Yes the kit does have issues concerning the centering of the wheels both front and rear, it got worse after I lowered in the oob suspension locations.

To adjust, the rear was moved foward 3.5mm.  Front was moved foward 2mm. But Im still not happy with the front, 1mm more should be about right im hoping.

Ive had to sacrifice scale accuracy with the suspension components to get it so low. Price to pay when going low, but I will atleast try make it look somewhat functional. Plan is to show a before and after once I get it all dialed in.

I can see what your saying about the roof, perception can be a funny thing sometimes.

I figured you had to have adjusted the wheelbase because it looks so much better! 

• Thanks 1

Bit of paint work done on some of the Nova Gasser parts, applied Alclad chrome to most parts. Applied Alclad polished aluminium to the heads, blower manifold and pulleys also the magneto. Custom mix of Tamiya TS paints for the orange on the engine block.

D8tqiRF.jpg

Very happy how the headers turned out.

2hIfrkO.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 4

Started to putting the Gasser engine together. Few touch ups and paint detail to do here and there.

gnRdvJ6.jpg

fCAO5kr.jpg

qCnHBci.jpg

Base coated the body with Gaia Notes and shot it through the Meng .3mm fan cap @32psi.

wi1YBMN.jpg

Couldnt resist and had to do a mock up.

yr7YZ5P.jpg

Has slight micro peel, but all good its smooth enough and its just as base coat anyways.

vdL9vG4.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/9/2022 at 1:58 AM, Cool Hand said:

Decided to wing it with no test fitting and see what it ends up like. Flip the front axle to above the leaf, and 4mm axle blocks on the rear. LOL!

Well shows I didnt suss out the front end enough at the time of the idea, the front axle cant go above the leaf springs due to the engine cross member. But all good worked out another way to lower the front a bit. Thankfully the axle blocks on the rear worked out good.

Cut of the stub axles and reposition.

Oob stub axle location.

A7p2rYm.jpg

Cut of a pinned with brass rod.

ioPLysb.jpg

Drilled new location hole for the pins.

vDx1dr2.jpg

Stub axle mounted in new postion, should be a noticable difference from oob stance

.wok3jJI.jpg

Engine pretty much complete.

yceK5vy.jpg

lneqK0c.jpg

Hopefully it will be a roller by the end of tonight.

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 3

Got it to the roller stage.

xpZDe00.jpg

fKKAJkj.jpg

bEuiUqk.jpg

QH4Msnr.jpg

Stance turned out pretty good I think.

Q4PHPpL.jpg

Very happy with the way this kit fits together. Id say it's going to become my favourite kit ive ever built.

Instruction sheet leaves you guessing in some area's, but Tim Boyd's build up of the test shot has been helpful when not sure about some of the assembly.

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 3

Look at all that colour!!  I’m generally not a gasser fan, but this build is looking fantastic. Seems that gassers are the trend right now so I’ll likely build one eventually. Hard to tell in the photos Luke, is the Nova colour shift paint too? Regardless, it’s a stunning paint job. Beautiful engine too!!

Cheers, Steve

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Steve H said:

I’m generally not a gasser fan. Seems that gassers are the trend right now so I’ll likely build one eventually. Hard to tell in the photos Luke, is the Nova colour shift paint too? 

Im not a Gasser fan at all either, but this Moebius kit is way cool and alot of fun to build. The engine is the best feature and what got me interested in the kit. 

Yes mate, Nova is colour shift.  Edited the post and added some pics to show what colour is on each build. Hard to capture the true effect in pics.

5 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Started assembly of the interior, once the clear is dry on the dash I can finish it.

FlWW85u.jpg

Nice Luke.  The cushions on the seats look like a flat rubber black color???  Looks good.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Zippi said:

The cushions on the seats look like a flat rubber black color???

Used this black. Was going to use XF-1 flat black, but used that for the carpet. Also thought of using TS-6 but thats not flat enough. So Nato it was for something different.

zM1y1my.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 1

Applied some clear to the Nova Gasser body.

Used Mr Color GX-100 Super Clear III. Thinned 1:1.5 with MLT, sprayed through a Iwata HP-TH with the fan cap @ 32psi 

5wU91LG.jpg

sMNJD0y.jpg

Always the way, spoon comes out slick.

WRsfxbT.jpg

Bit of peel on the body, need to wait and see how much it shrinks back. More than likely will have to wet sand and polish.

kBhvx7A.jpg

VP8Qr1N.jpg

Either way the GX-100 is a high gloss clear thats for sure. 2 medium wet coats, 1 heavy wet coat.

7MAXKno.jpg

Here is a minute of your life you will never get back. Tried to show the colour a bit better.

Also got the interior finished

vJlKEkF.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 2

Interior is CLEAN! I really like your use of different shades and finishes of black, it adds so much realism to the appearance of a kit. As nice as the interior is, I really dig the engine bay the most. It's the star of the show! Great metal finishes with the engine color nested in all that black just looks wicked. Loving it!

• Thanks 1

• Cool Hand changed the title to Lead City Customs