Model Cars Magazine Forum

Forum rules

Hans1971

Last week, I was given a warning by 'Badluck 13' corcerning a reaction I posted.
I used a 'BLEEP' word to express my feelings towards a well known virus.
Of course, it was not the intention to insult someone. i admit having posted this, and apoligise for it.
Maybe, Europeans have less problems with some 'tougher' kind of language ?
It made me think on other subjects, on which I did not find a clear answer in the forum rules.
I'm working on a model of a 1930's Auto-Union racing car.
In those days, German race cars were sponsored by the state. In other words, the nazi's.
To be historically correct, the crosslike nazi-symbol is placed on the back of the car.
Is it allowed to picture this project on the forum ? I would also add that I'm personally 100% anti-nazi.
I know, no political confessions on the forum, but I guess you can forgive me this one.
Another one...
I've just finished a posh-snob luxurious car.
I made pictures of it together with a figure of a dog.
The dog shows his feelings for the car by, let's say, lifting a leg and doing a natural thing on the car.
Humor, but maybe not everybody sees it the same way.
Again, allowed or not ???

If you start digging deeper Hans, you can probably someone being offended by pretty much everything.  It is unfortunate that the world has became what it is.

I am aware of the fact that in Germany swastikas are not allowed to be shown.  Decal sheets for WWII models often have them split into 2 on the decal sheet, so a modeler can assemble the separate decals into a complete symbol for an accurate model.

I don't think it is as strict in USA. Photos of models with swastikas on them are published in modeling magazines such as FineScale Modeler, so I would suspect that it is ok to show them on an American-hosted forum, but that is just my non-moderator opinion.

As for the dog leaving a liquid mark, I sure hope that this type of (humorous) image will not earn you a warming point.  If it did, than it is a very sad state of affairs. 

The virus has a special place on the forum - we are not supposed to discuss it, so that is probably why you were warned.  Just don't mention it. Same goes for politics and religion. 

It's not an American/European thing, it's a kid friendly thing. This forum is supposed to be kid friendly. History is kid friendly. Those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it. The dog thing, doesn't seem like a tasteful thing to post. Why not show a different animal doing their business on the car, like a human? 

Ya know.. I’m on a stamp collectors board.  International community and we can discuss world affairs within the bounds of decency. It remains civil.

I like it since I indeed want to know what my colleagues around the world are doing with Covid and current affairs. 

I do understand where it goes off the tracks rather quickly. Some of our respected community are raving loonies on Facebook! 

2 hours ago, Rodent said:

A good rule of thumb around here is that if you think that it might possibly offend someone somewhere, it probably will.

The problem in our society today is that anything can offend someone out there.  :wacko:  Kid friendly?   You would be surprised to hear what your kids say when you're not around. :D

And while a tiny model dog in the act of urinating seems distasteful to someone, others find it humorous.   But yes, we need to give up having silly fun because some person somewhere finds it distasteful.  Really?! 

Edited by peteski

9 minutes ago, peteski said:

The problem in our society today is that anything can offend someone out there.  :wacko:  Kid friendly?   You would be surprised to hear what your kids say when you're not around. :D

And while a tiny model dog in the act of urinating seems distasteful to someone, others find it humorous.   But yes, we need to give up having silly fun because some person somewhere finds it distasteful.  Really?! 

Peter, my take on humor is generally offensive to someone. "A blond walked into a bar.."  is a good example.  Who doesn't tell blond jokes.  I'm a blond and find them just as funny as most folks but when you single someone out for humor, someone is going to want to fight if it hits a little to close to home.  " A blond walked into a bar in Nebraska"  Now that I might not find so funny. 

The basic premise of humor is to make fun of someone or something.  

As to your dog, well I grew up on a farm and as a child saw all manner of defecation and urination and other animal body functions.  That gave me a lifelong  application of the "real" world.   A model car with a dog peeing on the wheel most certainly doesn't offend me. 

24 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

As to your dog, well I grew up on a farm and as a child saw all manner of defecation and urination and other animal body functions.  That gave me a lifelong  application of the "real" world.   A model car with a dog peeing on the wheel most certainly doesn't offend me.

That is not my dog!  :D  And yes, while majority will find something funny, there will always be someone who finds it offensive.  I could go on with further comments on this (like when everybody wins a trophy), but that would just be asking for trouble.  :(

I usually don't chime in on this sort of thing, but how about:

1. Post in progress model pics and commentary.

2. Finished projects you have built.

3. Real car and truck pics or info.

4. "How to" posts about modeling.

5. Ask or answer questions that pertain to model cars and trucks.

Stick to the above and you should have no problems. Seems simple enough.

IMHO, There is too much nonsense in the world, and plenty of other places to find it on the internet. This site should be a place to escape for a while. I think that is what the moderators are striving for.....

Edited by larman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, larman said:

1. Post in progress model pics and commentary.

2. Finished projects you have built.

3. Real car and truck pics or info.

4. "How to" posts about modeling.

5. Ask or answer questions that pertain to model cars and trucks.

Your version of the forum sounds very dull and too rigid.  Not even little room for humor?  Not a fun place I would want to visit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peteski said:

Your version of the forum sounds very dull and too rigid.  Not even little room for humor?  Not a fun place I would want to visit.

You are probably right. Now, if you will excuse me, I have to post some pics of my gun collection and ask about how to fix my leaky sink on the cooking forum I also frequent.......

Edited by larman
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, larman said:

You are probably right. Now, if you will excuse me, I have to post some pics of my gun collection and ask about how to fix my leaky sink on the cooking forum I also frequent.......

I just mentioned sprinkling in a bit of humor. Dude, I think you are taking this a little bit into extremes, although you might just be trying to be funny.  Or is it sarcasm?

1 hour ago, Sandboarder said:

So there is a swastika logo in Asian/Indian religions (the Manji) that means peace. 

Very narrow minded if it’s banned as the logo/image has several meanings not just what we know from WW2. 

It is always about context.  If you are painting a Hindu temple or figure that is a far cry from an inappropriate Nazi scene. It also has to do with laws in some countries.  Just did a little research on the display of Nazi symbols in Germany where there is a ban.  Works of art are generally exempted from the ban, but that begs the question, what is a work of art?  Are models a work of art or the production of those models.  Very deep and muddy water!

This is not directed at anyone in particular.

The forum rules state no foul language. Is that really that hard of a rule to follow?

Ultimately, this forum is owned by an individual. And if he doesn't want foul language or offensive humour on his forum, then that's how it is.

And it's a cliché, but if you don't like the rules, no one is stopping you from leaving and/or starting your own model car forum where you can have your own rules.

I use foul language all the time, but...shocker...I can switch it off in certain situations! Like when I'm around kids. Or when I post here.

This thread is still only one page long, and people are already getting angry, argumentative, and sarcastic. 🙄

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, peteski said:

I just mentioned sprinkling in a bit of humor. Dude, I think you are taking this a little bit into extremes, although you might just be trying to be funny.  Or is it sarcasm?

The point of my original post was this is a site about model cars and things pertaining to the subject. If you stay on the subject, you probably can't go wrong. My response to you was a joke based in absurdity to illustrate my previous post and to show I can add a little humor as well.  I guess it is up to you if you took it as sarcastic or extreme.

Edited by larman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, larman said:

The point of my original post was this is a site about model cars and things pertaining to the subject. If you stay on the subject, you probably can't go wrong. My response to you was a joke based in absurdity to illustrate my previous post and to show I can add a little humor as well.  I guess it is up to you if you took it as sarcastic or extreme.

I had  a feeling that it was a tongue-in-cheek reply (unlike your previous post, which sounded really serious to  me), but sometimes it is hard to tell just from written words, especially in the type of discussion we have here.  When a conversation is face-to-face (especially if one knows the other person's personality), it is easier to figure out what the other person means.  FOr all I know you could just be a grumpy guy.  :)  Using emoticons to clarify the tone of the written response helps quite a bit.

Edited by peteski

2 hours ago, peteski said:

I had  a feeling that it was a tongue-in-cheek reply (unlike your previous post, which sounded really serious to  me), but sometimes it is hard to tell just from written words, especially in the type of discussion we have here.  When a conversation is face-to-face (especially if one knows the other person's personality), it is easier to figure out what the other person means.  FOr all I know you could just be a grumpy guy.  :)  Using emoticons to clarify the tone of the written response helps quite a bit.

Alright then. I guess we are all on the same page now. 🙂

12 hours ago, Pete J. said:

It is always about context.  If you are painting a Hindu temple or figure that is a far cry from an inappropriate Nazi scene. 

So not offensive since it’s a Manji and from a different part of the world with a different meaning?

image.jpeg.df185de49fbec84a2e551345ad266419.jpeg

I mention this as I do have some parts, symbols, decals to build a Black Emperor Bosozuko Japanese car one day. 

21 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yes, yes.......we must eliminate history.

Steve

Nobody is eliminating history.  If you want to make a model of Dr. Mengela conducting experiments on prisoners at Auschwitz and proudly display it to your children and grandchildren, knock yourself out.  However, as has been said, this site is to encourage builders of all ages including children of tender years(a legal term look it up).  Displays such as that are not welcome here.  It is not about history, but presenting items in a context that is appropriate to all ages.  After all, we, as a people, will teach every level of history to anyone when they are mature enough to process it.  

• 2 weeks later...