Model Cars Magazine Forum

Large scale 59 Cadillac

Impressive for sure. Looks like he scaled up the Monogram kit to some degree and some of the parts (especially the engine) look like enlarged model parts and not really scaled down “real” car parts. Also interesting is the chassis isn’t shown as well. I’m guessing it isn’t very prototypical mainly since it has to support the 3d printed body.

If a mint restored car typically goes for $160k, easy math shows a 1/4 scale might sell for $40k to someone with deep pockets and a garage full of the full scales? The scaled down version doesn't function as an scaled down automobile either. You don't have to really maintain it though (waxing it would be much more fun than a full scale though. LOL) It's a great conversation piece as well.

Considering how much the builder outsourced, (printing, paint, metalwork, chrome, and I assume the upholstery) I could see this costing at least $10-15k to produce and you still have to create the CAD files and do whatever final assembly he did.

It’s a beautiful model though.

• 2 weeks later...