Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '66 Malibu SS 2 'n 1

Casey

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Yeah, but this isn't what the kit is.

I was commenting on the very similar looking graphics on the Dobbertin Nova, which, IMHO, were an influence for the artist's design on the forthcoming '66 Malibu SS. Whether my assumption is true or not, I can't say, as I was mainly providing a counter opinion to the below comment made earlier:

21 hours ago, Painted Black said:

That box art paint job does nothing to help sell this kit

Those of us who lived through the early '80s, read Hot Rod magazine, and saw what was happening with the street machine scene recognize some similarities between the kit and the pictured early Nova-- even the new box art merely evokes memories of a certain time and build styles. Could be just me, too, but it's about the kit, the box art, and Revell's target audience-- not great, very good, and 50+, having previously built the kit three or four times, respectively.

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I'm confused -- are you agreeing with me ?

Mark said it better than I could:

4 hours ago, Mark said:

The original "red" version had slotted wheels.  They are very nice.

The "red" version hasn't been issued since 1991 (I think, most recent I could find), so I'm holding out hope, but not my breath, the 5-slot wheels are included this time.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Casey said:

Those of us who lived through the early '80s, read Hot Rod magazine, and saw what was happening with the street machine scene

Yeah, I lived thru the 80's had my share of street machines, just never did like that paint scheme, we called it the "wuss job" back then...B)

*Note to self: 700!!

Edited by Painted Black
  • Haha 1

Glad to see this kit back, especially with the centerline type wheels. I always thought they were the best representation of that type of wheel in any kit. They maybe SuperTricks (Crager)but to me they look good. I intend to copy these in resin and use these as my go to for this type of wheel. I have bought this kit a few times with the intent of building it stock as I think it was the only game in town until the Lindbergh 66 came out. The first one I bought was the original black one and came with the centerline type wheels. Every other one I bought was red with the slots. Was the black one with centerlines only issued once? Also, the big block chevy is pretty nice. The tunnel ram looks good as does  the oilpan with side sumps. It is a good source of speed equipment for Monogram 1/24 cchev big blocks. 

I'd be content if any and all of those Parker Lewis Can't Lose graphics disappeared for eternity. It's bad enough that {{wince}} Pro Street is coming around again (definitely not a jab at my fellow builders and the outstanding workmanship I've seen -- I just abhor that period for customising and colour schemes) , but that 80's poodle poop belongs in history only.

Just to show that this pig CAN be built (and that I know what I'm talking about when I rag on it), I started this one when it first appeared in the '70s and finally succeeded in wrestling it to the ground about two years ago. I had MANY hours in making the front end actually fit the rest of the body, and trying to straighten out the roof....

66Chevelle110.jpg.607525ba6d09106d45a058d972d2babc.jpg

66Chevelle118.jpg.6b74c200523a51199b8406fbe7f997e6.jpg

66Chevelle120.jpg.a921c02b8424a5d99bd41fef7e20b693.jpg

And just to prove that I didn't cheat and glue the front end on (though I DID cheat and mount the whole hot mess on a '64 GTO chassis, but that's another pig wrestling match story....): 

66Chevelle114.jpg.f36a4447ef375c766e86afde939513e1.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, alexis said:

Curious to see what tires wind up in the kit.

They should be the same optional tires included in the recently re-issued 1/24 Monogram '78 El Camino kit, and BFG decals for the sidewalls.

On 12/31/2021 at 1:17 PM, Snake45 said:

One of my favorite hot rods of all time! I hope to build a very similar model in the next year, though I will be leaving the '80s graphics where they belong--in the '80s! B)

I’ll be watching for that one Snake. I love that Dobberton car, will you do the triple blowers? I plan on doing a pro street version in the future similar but not quite the same.  

3 hours ago, Steve H said:

I’ll be watching for that one Snake. I love that Dobberton car, will you do the triple blowers? I plan on doing a pro street version in the future similar but not quite the same.  

Same here--"similar but not quite the same." The plan at the moment is to convert the Moebius '65 sedan body to a '62-'64 type roof, if possible, then finish as a '64 match racer using the '64 grille and rear panel. Then I'll take the '64 HT body and use the '65 grille and rear panel to build a Dobbertin-ish pro street '65 on an AMT '66 Nova chassis. Not planning to triple-blow it, but will probably use one 6-71 and the Enderle bug catcher. Color will probably be blue. 

Then I have a really nice AMT '63 convertible body with a roached windshield and A-pillars. The plan is to whack the roof off a '65 Rat Packer/Twister and graft it onto the convert body, as I don't care about droptops, and maybe use THAT with the Moebius '64 interior and chassis to make a nice '63 HT street cruiser.  But we all have all kinds of fabulous plans, don't we? ;):lol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Same here--"similar but not quite the same." The plan at the moment is to convert the Moebius '65 sedan body to a '62-'64 type roof, if possible, then finish as a '64 match racer using the '64 grille and rear panel. Then I'll take the '64 HT body and use the '65 grille and rear panel to build a Dobbertin-ish pro street '65 on an AMT '66 Nova chassis. Not planning to triple-blow it, but will probably use one 6-71 and the Enderle bug catcher. Color will probably be blue. 

Then I have a really nice AMT '63 convertible body with a roached windshield and A-pillars. The plan is to whack the roof off a '65 Rat Packer/Twister and graft it onto the convert body, as I don't care about droptops, and maybe use THAT with the Moebius '64 interior and chassis to make a nice '63 HT street cruiser.  But we all have all kinds of fabulous plans, don't we? ;):lol:

It all starts with a plan Snake… Plan A, then B, C …..

Yeah, this kit may not be "Tamiya Like", but it was a fun kit to glue together when I was a kid, and I intend to do the same with another one again! I have sealed original and some extra wheels and tires from one, so an early box art car is planned! 

Boxart 1966 Malibu 2229 Monogram

• Like 2

10 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I think I'll get this kit, build it, design decals,and call the car "High Expectations" 🤣😂😆 in honor of all those kids that built the car back in the day who are now adults and expect it to be better than it was back then... 😆🤣😂😄😊

Screenshot_20220115-100724_Samsung Internet.jpg

Go for it! I dare you! Double Dog Dare You! 

Popcorn bill hader oui GIF on GIFER - by Shakalar

Edited by Daddyfink
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I think I'll get this kit, build it, design decals,and call the car "High Expectations" 🤣😂😆 in honor of all those kids that built the car back in the day who are now adults and expect it to be better than it was back then... 😆🤣😂😄😊

Screenshot_20220115-100724_Samsung Internet.jpg

I would name it "INSANITY" the definition of which is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I kinda like this kit, although it was last century when I built it , complete with a 90's pastel blue color. There are problems with the shape of the top of the windshield and the fit of the flip front

although the poor fit is authentic to the fibreglass flip fronts I've encountered in the 1:1 world. The Dana 60 rear axle and ladder bar / triangular track locator are cool, but the straight axle with

(yikes) rack & pinion steering gear is unique ! Big block Chev ,tunnel ram and wild headers, Cragar supertrick wheels are keepers. I'm ready to do this kit again and I'll correct the wind shield issue as best I can. If the kit reaches us down under !

• 1 month later...
  • Choice of two different hood scoops
  • Detailed 427 c.i. “Rat Motor”
  • Flip front end & mag wheels
  • Choice of stock and racing bucket seats
  • Drag accessory package includes roll bar, fire extinguisher, ladder bar suspension, front straight axle suspension, racing headers with side pipes

I hope it has both the Blower and Tunnel Ram intake set ups. Looks like only one choice of wheels.

From previous exams of the kit parts, only the Non-chrome trees will be run as options. The Chrome tree will be whatever it was when it was last run.  Really sad. Choice of Wheels is almost standard as the price of Entry into the ranks of an "Official 2'n'1 Kit", these days. 2 hoods scoops and alternate seats?

Try Again, Revell! You missed the target this time.