Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '66 Malibu SS 2 'n 1

Casey

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

The way I see it, the Flys and Spyders should be in the '66 Chevelle, and that godawful Body By Palmer '69 Camaro should have its tooling sent to a scrap yard.

That’s not fair to Palmer. 🤣

• Haha 3

Sad, I really liked that kit. When new, it was the first Muscle Car kit I ever built. Up to then, it had been Tom Daniels Showrods and Airfix 1/72 Blister Pack planes.

It does not look misshapen to me at all, but I'm well known for not being able to see the  proportion errors that stand out to others.

I'd gladly build a couple more of these kits, if Revell brought them out. But, I agree that the wheels are wrong.

Did the red issue have SS454 on the valve covers instead of the SS427 on the black one? I have seen pics that seem to suggest that, I have never had the red kit myself.

It would be nice if they included both in the reissue. 

4 hours ago, larman said:

Did the red issue have SS454 on the valve covers instead of the SS427 on the black one? I have seen pics that seem to suggest that, I have never had the red kit myself.

Probably more than a few of us have some of those from the Monogram 70 Chevelle kits.

12 hours ago, larman said:

I only recall the "SS 427" valve covers being included.

I also just checked out hpiguy/Chris' preview for this kit, and it appears only the tunnel ram is included, and the supercharger parts are not.

As far as wheel options are concerned, there are plenty, as Monogram used the big 'n' little Goodyear Rally GT tires on a plethora of kits back in the day, in 5-, 6-, and 8-lug bolt patterns. The recently reissued '79 El Camino had a decent set of chrome plated Cragar S/S wheels, which shouldn't be too hard to source.

No Charger....?

Not really a very good 2'n'1 kit then is it. This kits gets worse, the more I learn about it. I see Revell now has a "B" Team working on projects. The choices are narrowed down to "Rollbar or Backseat" & "Your Choice of Hood Scoops" .

Way to (not) Go, Revell!

You may be correct, Chris. I don't see much point in the kit now. And the Tunnel ram was the weaker of two intake options that the kit had. So, New Decals (possibly new tires) and not much else.

I am really let down by this turn of events. So Much could have been done here. And Revell cheaped out. Bah Humbug!

13 minutes ago, alexis said:

You may be correct, Chris. I don't see much point in the kit now. And the Tunnel ram was the weaker of two intake options that the kit had. So, New Decals (possibly new tires) and not much else.

I am really let down by this turn of events. So Much could have been done here. And Revell cheaped out. Bah Humbug!

None of us are privy to what Revell can and can't do with this particular kit, so speculation and assumption only serve to make an...well, you know. It seems likely and reasonable they included what they could, based upon what was available. Do the specific inserts for the supercharged induction setup and 5-slot wheels still exist? Maybe they were lost or damaged in 1993, so they can't be used ever again. Not going to fault Revell for that, if that's the case.

Really no surprises here, honestly. Just another reissue of a vintage Monogram kit, purely for nostalgia.

Back when this was the only 66 Chevelle kit, I had to have it. Once I got to building it, I realized it was not that great of a kit nor did it closely resemble a 66 Chevelle with it's flip front end.

I won't be getting one of these re-issues, have a couple of the Lindbergs that are better suited to my likes. It's a real shame because the Revell 65 & 67 Chevelles are nicely done and if they saw fit to do a new body they could probably use 75% of the 67 Chevelle kit for it.

I just checked the chrome trees/ The additional blower parts are an extra on the already existing chrome tree. Really hard to see how they could be "lost". The wheels on the other hand, it is true that you can only do one set at a time, so you are correct there. I have no camera, or I could lay out the trees, so I could explain the differences in the kits.

I'll be quiet now, until HPI Guy (Chris) does his review.

I can understand why people might be let down about this kit and the recent re-issue.

I’ll be picking one up though. I’m still a young modeler and I’ve never built one. My dad did though. I think it will be a treat to build some of the kits that my dad grew up building.

Hopefully my LHS will get a few in. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Rusty92 said:

I'll be picking one up though. I’m still a young modeler and I’ve never built one. My dad did though. I think it will be a treat to build some of the kits that my dad grew up building.

Young Man!  I am so glad to hear a statement like that!!   "That" enthusiasm & drive is the exact life blood this hobby needs to survive!  "Model On!" as my friend Snake would say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

...the Revell 65 & 67 Chevelles are nicely done and if they saw fit to do a new body they could probably use 75% of the 67 Chevelle kit for it.

The chassis and engine and glass and that's about it. Body, hood, interior, wheels would all be different. 

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The chassis and engine and glass and that's about it. Body, hood, interior, wheels would all be different. 

That is what I was inferring, that molding a new body and interior would be all that is needed. They have the grille and wheels from the Chevelle wagon or the El Camino.

I don't know why there is so much hanky wringing over a 45 year old kit! They have only slight "Updated it" and kept pumping it out. Why would they change it now? 

Most of you forget they released this kit the same year they released the Camaro! LOL! Yeah, that Camaro! 

Boxart '69 Camaro Z/28 2220 Monogram

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2022 at 11:09 AM, Casey said:

Do the specific inserts for the supercharged induction setup and 5-slot wheels still exist? Maybe they were lost or damaged in 1993, so they can't be used ever again.

What happened in 1993?

On 3/15/2022 at 4:09 PM, stavanzer said:

I just checked the chrome trees/ The additional blower parts are an extra on the already existing chrome tree. Really hard to see how they could be "lost". The wheels on the other hand, it is true that you can only do one set at a time, so you are correct there.

If they did have the other inserts available and could only use one, I would've preferred the "Street Rat" issue. But that's just me.

20220322_223405.jpg.efdc441391ce82e16d28fc7c49328629.jpg

Oooh, those slots. Probably the best ever done in this scale! If Revell lost them and Atlantis has it, that would be quite a coo for them to release these as a parts pack.

I'd buy 4 or 5 sets!

• 2 weeks later...