Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO-2022 Volvo "Iron Knight"

For my entry in the 2022 BRBO is the Volvo Iron Knight truck. I win not be doing a 100% representation of the original truck, but as a basis for the build. I plan on doing a race truck with a livery I think will look amazing on the truck (more to come on that, it's a bit of a secret atm).

ezgif-2-773e629365.jpg.d07a35da2dc32eea45d2e976b3b5b312.jpg.b792fdb6b5a2f0ef5a9ea04fec00a8d6.jpg

For this build I will be 3D printing pretty much everything for this project. So far the only "parts" not 3D printed will be the primer, paint and clear, the decals and some PE seat belts. There could be a few other bits added for detail down the road, but so far all the major components are coming off my Elegoo Mars 2 Mono printer and will be printed in Elegoo's ABS like grey resin. 

As of this moment, I have begun the approximately 40 or so hours of printing this project will require. I won't be doing any assembly till the New Year, but I wanted to get the parts printed up as soon as possible so on New Year's day I can start this project. My hope is to have it mostly completed by the end of January or early February. I have a long list of projects I want to do this year, so I need to start checking things off the list in a timely manor, which is 100% out of the norm for me. Anyways, here are some print previews of the 3D prints to come over the next few days. Right now, I've got the main chassis printed (it's quite simplified since it'll be hidden by the body works.)

Rear half of the chassis( just finished printing), I'll post up a shot all the prints before the start of the actual build.

chassis1.png.b4c1edeeba0239693096cf36815f3ec1.png

The engine. Unfortunately it's a bit of a brick. It should detail up nice, and I'll likely add in some hoses and tubing and wiring, but it's one solid file to start with.

engine.png.5326b975c745c9561034f475dd959d4d.png

This is one of the rear fenders, because of the size of the parts I'm having to print many of the parts by themselves meaning, as of right now, I have 18 different prints to do.

765483591_rearfender.png.f4084792129b6dc09696c494e60ed555.png

For the interior, there are three individual print files, the floor, the rollcage ( it has a full rollcage) and this preview of the dash and steering wheel. I did not like the "stock" seat the truck came with so I upgraded to a set of seats I had from another creator only cause I think they're more realistic looking than the stock seat. I also added in some Sparco racing pedals (small box looking thing to the left of the steering wheel) since the floor has two rectangles molded into the floor for the pedals and I wanted something more racey looking. I'm also printing off a first aid kit box, just for some extra interior detail. 

interior.png.55dfdf87e7dc2b525b98898f4a9c3aa5.png

And lastly, for now, a couple files for the wheels, both front and rear. Because of the size I have to print the rear's twice, once for each side. There's also a separate file for the wheel hubs for the front and rear.

Fronts

1630059185_frontwheels.png.f24f1e90bf946526bfa4cf2889e4a42b.png

And rears. 

991270095_rearwheels.png.d72a49febb200640d6a785cfaeb6d542.png

That's all for now. I'll share more on the livery/paint scheme once I get the decals I ordered. I want to make sure they're a decent quality just incase they are not and I have to change things up.

More to come in the New Year. Have a safe and Happy Holidays everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update.

Everything is printed, I am hoping to get some pics tonight, after I clean off my workbench.....it's a disaster at the moment.

Printing was a huge success. I don't think I have had a project so far that worked out so well on the printing process. All the files printed nearly perfectly, I did have a couple minor errors, due to a piece of floating cured resin, that are easily fixable. I'll point those out in the pics later on.

I only had one minor misprint, and that was due to me not placing the item on the print bed in the most optimal position but I've since reprinted that part so I have everything to get started this weekend on initial assembly.

I ordered some decals for this project from two separate sources so I'm waiting on those to arrive and with the issues in the world right now there's no way to know when they might arrive, but hopefully sooner rather than later.

The plan is to start in on print clean up tonight. I purposely left all the supports on the prints to make sure everything cured without any warpage, but the parts are pretty thick and it probably wouldn't have been an issue. 

Following along on everyone else's projects, and am enjoying what I see. Big Rigs are generally not my forte, but I am looking forward to completing this project.

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Which printer are you using?

Elgoo Mars 2 Mono (pretty much Elegoo's smallest I think). Very good printer tho. 

Currently having good success with Elegoo's ABS like resin so been using that for awhile now.

1 hour ago, Jhedir6 said:

Elgoo Mars 2 Mono (pretty much Elegoo's smallest I think). Very good printer tho. 

Currently having good success with Elegoo's ABS like resin so been using that for awhile now.

Nice! Just before Christmas I picked up the Elegoo Mars 2 Pro, and have been using their water washable resin. Haven't done a ton of printing yet, but no problems so far. 

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Nice! Just before Christmas I picked up the Elegoo Mars 2 Pro, and have been using their water washable resin. Haven't done a ton of printing yet, but no problems so far. 

Yes, basically the same printer. I haven't tried the water washable yet, I've heard its got a pretty funky smell. The ABS is quite mild I find as far as odor goes.

On 1/14/2022 at 5:38 PM, Jhedir6 said:

Yes, basically the same printer. I haven't tried the water washable yet, I've heard its got a pretty funky smell. The ABS is quite mild I find as far as odor goes.

It's not too bad. I just turn on the ceiling fan and crack a window. Can't really smell it unless I'm pouring the resin or moving things from the build plate to the wash tank.

• 2 weeks later...

New Year, new Update.

Finally getting back to work on my BRBO entry for this year. 

My decals I ordered have arrived..(still keeping the livery "under wraps" so to speak") so now I can move forward on this project.

Here is a shot of all the parts out of the printer. I purposefully left all the supports in place to make sure nothing warped, but all these parts are pretty beefy so probably wouldn't have happened.

20220203_222003.thumb.jpg.a6d27140f29d4fc325a550ba3cc88442.jpg

So.....

several-v2.jpg.229a816e47a56df681b4a35706c3db7e.jpg

I have removed all the supports and have mocked up the truck parts. I am very pleased so far. Everything lines up pretty good. There will be some sanding and filing involved but I've seen plastic kits way worse than this.. 

At the moment I can not get the cab onto the interior floor pan without some sanding and scraping so that's up next. But everything else lines up decently enough. 

20220204_110656.thumb.jpg.11adae3fbe9b31171c098b909a18308f.jpg

Also you can see the support nibs left on some of the parts. I have not sanded anything as of yet so there is a lot of clean up to do. And as you can see I've not tackled the wheels/tires yet either.

The engine is one big block of resin sitting behind the cab and is decently enough detailed, but I'll add in some wires/hosing as I go to make it more interesting. 

20220204_110833.thumb.jpg.48d5d923a17e5325583d33cc60199060.jpg

I added in a bottle of Tamiya LP paint (same size as the acrylic jars) so you can get a sense of the size of this thing, it is as big as a 1/25th scale Tractor. 

20220204_110934.thumb.jpg.d0708485f775df2ee6f0bd328da62ba7.jpg

The discolouration on the parts is from my vat of IPA being pretty dirty and didn't do the best job cleaning the parts. Not a big deal as I have to sand everything down and will wash all the parts again before primer and paint anyways, it just doesn't look pretty. Only the parts on this build looks that way, recent prints are much cleaner looking...it was just me being lazy and not swapping out the IPA. 

Cab not quite fitting over the interior pan....

20220204_110912.thumb.jpg.e53d11647b8dad886d2d3ce9007d276c.jpg

A close up of the detail on the wheels/tires..

20220204_110807.thumb.jpg.f7fc16b56537118b4b0a8280d4e9e44c.jpg

And lastly a pic of the decals for the tires..

68a7a7_1704beb154f54052bd25629f9d17ca26_mv2.jpg.9c19729c288348c66b23684e77805adf.jpg

Decals for the tires can be found here... I have no idea of the quality as it's my first time using their products but I will keep you posted on how they work out.

That's it for now, time to get sanding and cleaning.

Comments and criticisms always welcome.

Edited by Jhedir6

6 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Very interesting way to make a model and may become the way of the future for model kits. How much did it cost in supplies to 3D print all the parts and how long did it take?

It's definitely the way of the future. 

Total was probably 1 bottle of resin, the type I use costs around $55 CDN for 1L. Prices vary of course. It was around $14 for the files for the truck...I'm pretty sure that was on sale so normal price for those files is a few $$ more.

Time was around 40hrs or so. The bigger the piece the longer it takes to print because the build plate rises up out of the resin vat so the "taller" it is on the Z axis (height) the longer it takes. X and Y have no bearing on print time as it "prints" the width and length of the build plate with each layer printed.

Edited by Jhedir6

I’ll have to admit that this build is very cool and I have been thinking about building something similar but not a your level. I have this T600 KW kit, shorten the wheelbase, single air ride rear axle, use a set a Moebius fat singles, do a day cab (easy to do on this kit), swipe the roll bar kit from a pro-street kit, add a front air dam to the bumper and slam it on the ground and maybe a twin turbo engine. And…..and…….and. I just can’t stop thinking of ideas. 

8DD50559-2126-4C37-B78A-61B6CB2575FF.jpeg

• 6 months later...