Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1953 Ford Victoria*

Zippi

38 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Thank's Jim.  I've got the magnifing glasses but even with the decaf I'm not steady enough and the Molotow pen can't get back in those tight corners.  I may have to give it a shot though.

13 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Haha....yeah I don't know.  I'm hoping the bmf stays put.  The wife finally decided it's time to take the Christmas tree and all the decoration down today.  Probably get back on the 53 tomorrow if it's not to cold out in the garage.

My sympathy on the Christmas tree , it's fun putting it up but not so much taking it down. The low temperature in the garage may be a problem for the adhesive on the foil. Also, metal is affected by temperature too. You may try doing that work in the house where it's warmer. When the model is finished, that is where it will reside, no?

45 minutes ago, customline said:

I only use Molotow as is, from the pen,, on chrome touch-up(bumpers, etc) and for small details, I pump a little out on something non-porous and use an appropriate size brush. I have arthritic hands and my eyes have floaters that drive me crazy; you can do it, Bob 😎.

Man I hate these floaters. I spent 15 minutes the other day chasing one around with a fly swatter. 

Bob, your paint job looks great, hope the foil holds. I need to improve my paint jobs, the floor polish clear coat I use is just not working, maybe I need to air brush it. Better yet I think I need to find a good spray can clear. 

11 minutes ago, customline said:

My sympathy on the Christmas tree , it's fun putting it up but not so much taking it down. The low temperature in the garage may be a problem for the adhesive on the foil. Also, metal is affected by temperature too. You may try doing that work in the house where it's warmer. When the model is finished, that is where it will reside, no?

I hear ya on the Christmas tree Jim.  The other day when it got below zero I did the bmf in the house.  It's just that the bmf company is having a supplier issue and their new batches don't seem to be up to par.  

3 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Man I hate these floaters. I spent 15 minutes the other day chasing one around with a fly swatter. 

Bob, your paint job looks great, hope the foil holds. I need to improve my paint jobs, the floor polish clear coat I use is just not working, maybe I need to air brush it. Better yet I think I need to find a good spray can clear. 

On the floaters....it's best to let the better half swat at them since I have two.  That way she thinks she may have gotten one of them ☺ 

I've been using the Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear arcylic lacquer.  I did a test last summer with the air brush.  I sprayed Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear lacquer, Tamiya TS-13 Clear Gloss, and Pleadge Revieve-it.  All three looked about the same.  I have my test posted here somewhere.    

8703b874-8bf0-4063-9fc0-2da54d19a27d_1.76e9b741deb65a372800192a01f48522.jpeg

On 1/8/2022 at 2:21 AM, Zippi said:

To cold to be out in the garage this morning (-2 degrees wind chill) so I'm trying to do a little foil work on the door panels in the house.  It is not going good.  Once again the foil is not sticking.  If I blow are I can blow the foil off the little stars.  So frustrating.

20220107_094316.jpg.3350be19a459660609cabcbd69712ddb.jpg

When applying BMF to some small details, like those star's. Pre foil would be the go especially with the latest batch of BMF.

Apply a piece of foil that would cover all three at once, then cut a some what rectangle shape around them as close as possible to the tips. Then paint over. Once the paint is dry dip a tooth pick or cue tip in some thinners and scrap the paint off. 

22 hours ago, Zippi said:

No more work on the 53 until these sub zero ( with wind chill ) temps go away.  Can't get the garage warm enough.  If I can't get it to 55 or 60 its just not fun.

Brrrrrrrrrrr,  I feel for ya dealing with snow and those temps.  My operating temp is 77 and up LOL! thankfully it never snows where I live.

Edited by Cool Hand

26 minutes ago, Cool Hand said:

When applying BMF to some small details, like those star's. Pre foil would be the go especially with the latest batch of BMF.

Apply a piece of foil that would cover all three at once, then cut a some what rectangle shape around them as close as possible to the tips. Then paint over. Once the paint is dry dip a tooth pick or cue tip in some thinners and scrap the paint off. 

Brrrrrrrrrrr,  I feel for ya dealing with snow and those temps.  My operating temp is 77 and up LOL! thankfully it never snows where I live.

Thanks for the tip.  77......we keep the house at 68 in the winter months.

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

I've been using the Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear arcylic lacquer.  I did a test last summer with the air brush.  I sprayed Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear lacquer, Tamiya TS-13 Clear Gloss, and Pleadge Revieve-it.  All three looked about the same.  I have my test posted here somewhere.    

Bob, have you ever tried this Rust-Oleum clear coat directly on top of another brand of lacquer paint like Tamiya?   I was just wondering if it would attack the Tamiya lacquer paint if I use it instead of TS-13.  Everything is harder to get here north of the border, sometimes it looks like they are trying to bring in illegal substances... but this brand is probably available in our local hardware stores.

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Bob, have you ever tried this Rust-Oleum clear coat directly on top of another brand of lacquer paint like Tamiya?   I was just wondering if it would attack the Tamiya lacquer paint if I use it instead of TS-13.  Everything is harder to get here north of the border, sometimes it looks like they are trying to bring in illegal substances... but this brand is probably available in our local hardware stores.

I'm pretty sure I have tried the Rust-Oleum over Tamiya TS spray paint.  Just can't remember I've tried so many different paints and clears.  I have yet to have any kind of a reaction from one paint/clear to another.  Try it on a spoon first.  That's what I always do when it's something new. 

I tried getting the foil on and I went into this thinking it was going to be bad.  It turned out pretty good.  There are area's that it didn't want to stick all that great but I'm pleased with the way it came out.  

20220109_145556.jpg

20220109_145606.jpg

20220109_145617.jpg

20220109_154009.jpg

Edited by Zippi
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Looks great !  Anyone looking for a spray clear, may I suggest you try Duplicolor 1K Clear. I like it and the best I have found in my years of building. Better than Wet Look Clear IMO.

Ray...is there any difference in the 1K or 2K ?  I'm going to try the Dupli-color paint and clear this spring.

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

Ray...is there any difference in the 1K or 2K ?  I'm going to try the Dupli-color paint and clear this spring.

The 1K is a point and shoot right out of the can. If I'm not mistaken the 2 K is more expensive and has a time limit on it's use. I could be wrong however and if so perhaps someone will correct me.

11 hours ago, cobraman said:

The 1K is a point and shoot right out of the can. If I'm not mistaken the 2 K is more expensive and has a time limit on it's use. I could be wrong however and if so perhaps someone will correct me.

Thank's Ray.  When I get ready to try the Dupli-color paint and clear coat I"ll do a little research.  

11 minutes ago, espo said:

The foiled trim looks great. With all the factory trim on these they really look good for what was considered a low-priced car of the day. 

Thank's Dave.  Yeah they were quite the car back in the day.  I saw this black one online berfore I started my build and man does that black look good with all the chrome trim.  I just can't paint black and make it look good.  

1953.jpg

1 minute ago, Zippi said:

Thank's Dave.  Yeah they were quite the car back in the day.  I saw this black one online berfore I started my build and man does that black look good with all the chrome trim.  I just can't paint black and make it look good.  

1953.jpg

Back when I was a twelve-year-old kid throwing the LA Times every morning there was an older guy, he might have been twenty even, I worked with that had a black '54 with a gold roof and was a Skyliner. That was the first year for the see thru plastic roof on the Ford and the Sun Vally Mercury.  Talk about a good-looking car. 

28 minutes ago, espo said:

Back when I was a twelve-year-old kid throwing the LA Times every morning there was an older guy, he might have been twenty even, I worked with that had a black '54 with a gold roof and was a Skyliner. That was the first year for the see thru plastic roof on the Ford and the Sun Vally Mercury.  Talk about a good-looking car. 

Yeah I remember a fella that lived down the street from us had a black Crown Vic and I just thought it was so pretty when it was all cleaned up.  I am second guessing myself now on the interior color.  I'm thinking it all looks to much the same color.  Whatya all think???

20220110_100737.jpg

20220110_100746.jpg

I had a buddy that had one of these.  Black and white two-tone.  Beautiful car.  Anniversary issue with a nice 50 anniversary horn center.  We changed the clutch and rebuilt the three on the tree transmission utilyzing a strong tree branch for the hoist....  Ahhh, the days....

4 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Yeah I remember a fella that lived down the street from us had a black Crown Vic and I just thought it was so pretty when it was all cleaned up.  I am second guessing myself now on the interior color.  I'm thinking it all looks to much the same color.  Whatya all think???

20220110_100737.jpg

20220110_100746.jpg

I wonder if there are any interior decals that would give just a slight off white to cream color for the seating surfaces. I have used some from Scale Motorsport before and they work great. They offer one that I think might work well here. The stock number is SKU:1963.  This has a light striped pattern with the base color showing thru. They have many others as well. 

23 minutes ago, espo said:

I wonder if there are any interior decals that would give just a slight off white to cream color for the seating surfaces. I have used some from Scale Motorsport before and they work great. They offer one that I think might work well here. The stock number is SKU:1963.  This has a light striped pattern with the base color showing thru. They have many others as well. 

Thank's Dave I'll check out that site.