Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rustoleum 2X spray paints

Over this year while model building and inevitably painting said models, I’ve come to notice that not all Rustoleum 2X spray paints are the same (quality). Some colors just don’t perform that great, and others turn out pretty good. For instance, every time I’ve used Colonial Red, it’s always dried into a durable, glossy and uniform finish. Whereas almost every time I’ve used Nutmeg (satin), the paint doesn’t mix well in the can and comes out very runny, doesn’t like to adhere to raised surfaces, and will remain tacky for days on end. (disclaimer, all parts I painted with Nutmeg had a coat of Rustoleum primer to begin with, this wasn’t just paint directly onto bare plastic. And I’ve tried Nutmeg multiple times, all similar results.)

Long rambling aside, I’m starting this topic with the intention of us brainstorming and experimenting (or speaking from experience) to form a list of which Rustoleum 2X spray paints work well, and a list of those that don’t. Once the 2 lists are comprehensive enough, we can post them in the modeling tips section.

I just decant and use the H with a touch of lacquer thinner added. No trouble yet, mostly shooting 40's and 50's solid pastel colors. Shoots, to me at least, like any other enamel. Can't speak for Krylon, haven't used that in over a decade but it was ok back then.

Don't get me started on this topic. I stopped counting the number of brand new cans of this stuff I threw directly into the trash because they would not spray at all. Flushing like 8 bucks down the toilet every time. If the nozzle looks like this,  I will not buy it period. Sometimes I put it down to I waited too long to use it but on more than one occasion,  the can would not spray at all the very day I brought it home from the store. Never again!

20220101_102228.thumb.jpg.efff24a39c8752f96f8c2391ad81630f.jpg

Edited by Mike C.

I have used Rust-oleum products around the home for their intended use as well as Krylon paints on endless automotive projects. They both have performed beyond expectations in every case. The few times I have tried them on models I usually wind up with disappointing finishes along with other problems. I'm aware that there are builders here that have had some amazing results as well as many who have bemoaned using them. For myself I always use a paint product designed primarily for model building even though it may cost more initially I have found the added expense well worth it for myself. I think any builder that wants to go with some of the other paint products for whatever the reason should plan on a lot of practice on old spruce from the kit they are building to be sure it will do what they are expecting of it. 

I use Rustoleum and Krylon and a Fred Meyer (Kroger) brand for chassis, interior, and other parts that don't need a perfect finish. Much cheaper route than Testors or Tamiya. I've had funky cans on occasion myself and it's very frustrating.

I look forward to this list of color results to purchase other colors.

My experience with 2X Satin Black or Semigloss Black was similar to yours with the Nutmeg--runny, didn't cover high spots, took a long time to dry, etc. Disliked it so much I haven't bothered to try any of their other 2X colors. However, I've had excellent results with some of their other products--clear gloss lacquer and Cobalt Blue Metallic come to mind. 

After reading this thread, I might have to try the metallic aluminum, though. 

10 minutes ago, Painted Black said:

kll.jpg.3339f30300b84bae7894f8adcaa5f636.jpg*

I bought a can of this last week, sprayed out like silly string, can went straight into the trash... Its hard to find paint thats NOT made by Rust-o anymore...I have several cans that I cleared the nozzle in the upside down matter, NONE would spray again unless held upside down!!

That's the thing about this nozzle. It's designed not to clear out when held upside down. It is my firm belief that whoever took control of this company years ago, had some marketing genius (rip off artist) invent a nozzle that would effectively rip off the end user (us) while making the company more money. They probably gave that guy a corner office. A bad business model in the long term good for them in the short term. I'm completely done with this stuff.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

I’d hope so, but I tried 3 different cans. I just don’t think Nutmeg is a good one. 

Well for me those tones and parchment and such I'm more likely to be using acrylics for anyway. Too bad it doesn't work though.

I recall a can of Rustoleum I had at work ( retired in 2014 so a while ago), popped the top pushed the nozzle and this stringy stuff like RTV or something came out and wouldn't shut off, it emptied itself in the trash bin in the shop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave G. said:

Well for me those tones and parchment and such I'm more likely to be using acrylics for anyway. Too bad it doesn't work though.

I recall a can of Rustoleum I had at work ( retired in 2014 so a while ago), popped the top pushed the nozzle and this stringy stuff like RTV or something came out and wouldn't shut off, it emptied itself in the trash bin in the shop.

That sounds about right. I can remember a few months ago (I think it was satin black) Brand new full can went to spray it....Nothing heated it with water, took the nozzle off poked around with tooth picks, pins anything I could find. would up banging on the top with a hammer........Nothing, not even a drop of paint came out. 8 dollar doorstop, right in the trash. FULL CAN. Learned my lesson.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

My 2 cents, I've always preferred Krylon over Rustoleum, but I do use the Rusto Crystal Clear Acrylic laquer.  The Krylon Foil (I get at HL) is a great product. Not quite chrome but great for a veey shiny  polished aluminum look.

I noticed Micheals has a line of Krylon spray in smaller cans than at the hardware stores. Never tried them, never looked to even see what they are in terms of paint type. Could be acrylic for all I know. But I don't spray can anything, if I use them I decant and shoot with the H. Clear lacquer goes well from a can, that thing goes according to the day for me, can vs H and my mood lol.

I don’t mean to sound rude or insensitive to your guys’ situations with Rustoleum, I get it. A few cans I bought turned out to be lame ducks as well. 

If you guys remember the color and finish (flat, satin, semigloss, gloss) of the cans came out super runny, the ones that remained tacky for days on end, or the nozzle not working at all, then it would be pretty helpful for the list of bad paints to include that within your posts, the bad paint list’s purpose will be to help others (mainly beginners and kids (who can become easily discouraged by bad experiences while modeling)) from having to experiment with bad paint formulas.

SPA BLUE = Thick, gloppy, gooey, instant orange peel, can plugged...DONE

DITTO on Flat red primer, Nutmeg only minor problems with Black.

GLOSS WHITE = no problems.

SPECIALTY METALLIC SLIVER = (shinny cap,green and white label) lays down very well, no problems and on my second can

Haven't had any major problems with rusty-o-'s and if the same color takes a dump for the second time, I just don't buy it anymore.

• Thanks 1