Model Cars Magazine Forum

For the Dutch IPMS, I organise every year a Dakar group build. The idea is to build a Dakar or Endurance rally vehicle during the duration of the Dakar. It is permitted to make a fantasy competitor as well, as what is what I am going to do this year; convert the Revell H2 into a Dakar competitor in a fantasy livery. But I have no ideas for that part yet though.

This is the kit I am using for the build
spacer.png

The wheels in that kit are not quite suitable for Dakar use, so I went designing some new wheels
dakar21-002.jpg

And after the tyres got decent, I turned the printer on
dakar21-003.jpg

8 hours later and I have 4 tires, 4 wheels and 4 beadlocks.
dakar21-004.jpg

Since today is the 1st of January; the Dakar started and off we went building! First I got all the parts of the sprue and assesed of what I am going to use.
dakar21-005.jpg

I got rid most of the windows, getting a bit of a panelvan
dakar21-006.jpg

Just as the rear hatch
dakar21-007.jpg

This is de difference between the kit wheels and my own
dakar21-008.jpg

I don't need the stepsides, but want to keep the sill-protectors
dakar21-009.jpg

And also the interior needs a lot of changes.
dakar21-010.jpg

dakar21-011.jpg

dakar21-012.jpg

This is the result of the first day, time for bed and tomorrow the next day of building!
dakar21-013.jpg

Edited by The Creative Explorer
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! It is fun to do this little build every year, it is not so serious as the 'normal' ones and there is not that pressure of achieving the ultimate finish; just have fun building with your buds!

@89AKurt; did you build that one from the beginning of this Dakar? If so; Impressive! I wish I had that speed...  Do you also follow the Dakar Classics? If you ask me, I find that the most fun to see/watch!

Well, my speed isn't as I wished for. I wanted to have everything in paint yesterday and in clearcoat today, but I am behind at least a full day and still need to do a lot of scratchbuilding during upcoming week, it will be close wether or not to finish the build in time.

Before I started painting, I had to print a few parts first, I draw the parts-cabinet and tyres myself and sourced the seats from Thingiverse.

dakar21-014.jpg

Work started then on making a roll-cage in other to keep the people somewhat save.

dakar21-015.jpg

dakar21-016.jpg

dakar21-017.jpg

And I added a fuel-cell in the back, but I seriously doubt if this would pass tech inspection.... 🙂

dakar21-018.jpg

All the parts ready for paint!

dakar21-019.jpg

And so is the body, Main color is white

dakar21-020.jpg

dakar21-021.jpg

Secondary color

dakar21-022.jpg

Third color

dakar21-023.jpg

Fourth color

dakar21-024.jpg

And the finished livery! Up to clearcoat! I might be able to clearcoat it tonight.

dakar21-025.jpg

• Like 3

Great project Erik. I love the Dakar. I've been wanting to do a Dakar truck for sometime now. I maybe do a fantasy one later in the year. I have some 3D files for a truck that would be great for this type of themed build. 

Looking forward to seeing yours develop further.

49 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Oh heck no, I started that a few years ago, sat in the box for about a year, before resuming to finish.  I'm not sure what you're asking about the Dakar Classics.  I've looked up videos from the 959 era, but haven't kept up with the current race.

Your progress is looking awesome!

Kurt, you're 959 was that one of the Modeling Master kits? Fantastic build btw. Looks stellar.

10 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

Kurt, you're 959 was that one of the Modeling Master kits? Fantastic build btw. Looks stellar.

Yes it is, thank you.  I *had to* fix a few things, namely the total lack of intercooler plumbing, which is the achilles heel of the 959 kit, which I also fixed on the regular Tamiya kit.

Back to the regularly scheduled program.  I saw Ken Block is hooked up with Audi, their Etron rally car is wild.

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

Oh heck no, I started that a few years ago, sat in the box for about a year, before resuming to finish.  I'm not sure what you're asking about the Dakar Classics.  I've looked up videos from the 959 era, but haven't kept up with the current race.

Your progress is looking awesome!

It still looks very good!

Next to the normal Dakar race, since last year they also have the Dakar Classic race at the same time! Check on Youtube and then the Dakar Channel, you'll find video's of the Dakar classics. This year a 911 in Rothmans livery is participating, but also a 205 T16 replica along many, many, many other cool classic cars!

It is really worth the effort to look up the Dakar classics!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 89AKurt said:

Yes it is, thank you.  I *had to* fix a few things, namely the total lack of intercooler plumbing, which is the achilles heel of the 959 kit, which I also fixed on the regular Tamiya kit.

Back to the regularly scheduled program.  I saw Ken Block is hooked up with Audi, their Etron rally car is wild.

Ken Block is not in this Dakar, but the E-tron is. It has some mixed results, not as Audi was hoping for, their drivers are Carlos Sainz, Ekstrom and Peterhansel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Great project Erik. I love the Dakar. I've been wanting to do a Dakar truck for sometime now. I maybe do a fantasy one later in the year. I have some 3D files for a truck that would be great for this type of themed build. 

Looking forward to seeing yours develop further.

Thank you! I just love Dakar, mostly the older era, but I still like to follow it. It is basically the only thing I follow on tv hahaha.

I just learned that Zvezda is coming out with a Kamaz Rally truck very soon, I am interested in that, albeit it being 1/35 scale.

2 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

T

I just learned that Zvezda is coming out with a Kamaz Rally truck very soon, I am interested in that, albeit it being 1/35 scale.

I saw that too. I printed one in 1/24 scale from a 1/10 RC truck, but unfortunately I did that early one after getting my printer and didn't do it very well. I do plan on redoing it later this year after I learn some more about altering STL files for 3D printing.

• Like 1

And there it is, the final day of the groupsbuild Dakar '22 and 2 days after the real Dakar's finish.

I managed to get the Hummer finished, just in time. I had some last minutes issues and I didn't like the 10mm lift, so I shortend it to a 5mm lift and narrowed the wheels a little bit, it makes more sense this way.

All in all a fun, not so serious build. I wanted to add more detail and some weathering, but couldn't get that done in time.

This is from last weekend, where I painted the body in clearcoat.

https://www.firerods.nl/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/dakar21-026.jpg[/img]

dakar21-027.jpg

And added some black paint to the body

dakar21-028.jpg

dakar21-029.jpg

dakar21-030.jpg

After that, I added some fantast decals, partly from a Nascar and some from Tamiya's 205 T16

dakar21-031.jpg

This is where I shortened the lift with 5mm

dakar21-032.jpg

A little dry-fit, it does look a lot better now it has been lowered back from the 10mm lift.

dakar21-033.jpg

I added some seatbelts, made from standard ribbons

dakar21-034.jpg

dakar21-035.jpg

And added the toolchests in the back, unfortunately I did not take the hinges of the rear hatch in count and now the hatch can not be closed anymore hahaha. oops.

dakar21-036.jpg

dakar21-037.jpg

dakar21-038.jpg

dakar21-039.jpg

The interior detail is done, for so far I could. I wanted to add more, but there was no more time

dakar21-040.jpg

So I also cut a bit short on the detail on the floorpan,

dakar21-041.jpg

And suddenly it is finished! I must admit, it looks a whole lot better than straight out of the box!

dakar21-042.jpg

dakar21-043.jpg

dakar21-044.jpg

dakar21-045.jpg

dakar21-046.jpg

dakar21-047.jpg

• Like 2