Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favourite files and sprue cutters

Hi all, I am about to refresh my needle files and sprue  cutters. They have served me well but time for some fresh ones. The files are so old I can’t remember what brand they are. So… what are favourites?! I would be looking to get a set of 12 various shapes. God Hand spruce cutters? 
Thanks in advance for input. 

Cheers, Steve

For files I like Vallorbe. Pricey but you get what you par for, quality.

This set ive had for about 13 years, bit grotty but still sharp.

c24Sp8T.jpg

vIoI4bT.jpg

Bought a back up set couple years back.

Wa218mI.jpg

rVO4srn.jpg

Also can get the same brand re labelled under Wave, single file package.

GAoUqGU.jpg

Got some out of Japan couple years back.

xNgjcoD.jpg

I have a few of the hobby brand name sprue cutters.

2WPDPyO.jpg

And out of all of them I prefer the Zoukei Mura Pro Zetsu Nippers as they are the sharpest. And the tip will fit into tight gates.

CkWoTED.jpg

pZc7jMb.jpg

Ywawp44.jpg

And I also use the Meng ones a lot to flush cut the gates.

W3p9X1J.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 1

I use sprue cutters from dave coleys emporium which are small enough to cut the tight sprue on the amt and revell engine packs, but they aren't very good for the more delicate parts like aerials and stuff. I've also got both sets of their files, straight and curved. I like the curved ones as they have teeth on both sides of the curve. I also use draper files and some really cheap ones from the pound shop. You have to be careful when buying the pound shop ones, but if you check them first you should be ok, some just have lines on but no bite. I also use the metal nail files from the pound shop but their more like metal sandpaper than files however they last well and clean up is a breeze with them, and they usually have 3 different grades in the pack. The fine one is about a 800+ grit, med is 400 and the course one is 180-240 grit. I also use the large heavy files on occaision when a lot of material needs removed or to level up sills/rockers after body work. None of my tools were more than 5 or 6 pounds. I should point out that being scottish i probably live up to the stereotype of being tight with money, remember, copper wire was invented when 2 scotsmen fought over a penny.

10 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

For files I like Vallorbe. Pricey but you get what you par for, quality.

This set ive had for about 13 years, bit grotty but still sharp.

c24Sp8T.jpg

vIoI4bT.jpg

Bought a back up set couple years back.

Wa218mI.jpg

rVO4srn.jpg

Also can get the same brand re labelled under Wave, single file package.

GAoUqGU.jpg

Got some out of Japan couple years back.

xNgjcoD.jpg

I have a few of the hobby brand name sprue cutters.

2WPDPyO.jpg

And out of all of them I prefer the Zoukei Mura Pro Zetsu Nippers as they are the sharpest. And the tip will fit into tight gates.

CkWoTED.jpg

pZc7jMb.jpg

Ywawp44.jpg

And I also use the Meng ones a lot to flush cut the gates.

W3p9X1J.jpg

Thanks Luke! I got my RP Toolz cutter a few days back and it’s awesome, so thanks for that. Based on that purchase I know that you have a thing for good quality tools. Thanks for the input, much appreciated sir.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I use sprue cutters from dave coleys emporium which are small enough to cut the tight sprue on the amt and revell engine packs, but they aren't very good for the more delicate parts like aerials and stuff. I've also got both sets of their files, straight and curved. I like the curved ones as they have teeth on both sides of the curve. I also use draper files and some really cheap ones from the pound shop. You have to be careful when buying the pound shop ones, but if you check them first you should be ok, some just have lines on but no bite. I also use the metal nail files from the pound shop but their more like metal sandpaper than files however they last well and clean up is a breeze with them, and they usually have 3 different grades in the pack. The fine one is about a 800+ grit, med is 400 and the course one is 180-240 grit. I also use the large heavy files on occaision when a lot of material needs removed or to level up sills/rockers after body work. None of my tools were more than 5 or 6 pounds. I should point out that being scottish i probably live up to the stereotype of being tight with money, remember, copper wire was invented when 2 scotsmen fought over a penny.

Hi Les, thanks for sharing. My parents are both Glaswegians so I tend to tight with some things, but also don’t mind paying for top quality on some items. I try to put those decisions on a scale of “how much will I use it, is it actually a better product for the extra  $$.

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

I have a selection. I mostly use the curved ones. I forget what brand they are…trumpeter maybe.

64634B63-62D1-4974-8518-011AC96972D5.jpeg

3915B97D-4842-4518-A5D7-C90793EB235E.jpeg

26B7B7F7-8852-45BF-B536-B56D266806BF.jpeg

Hi Greg, I was hoping to hear from you, thanks for sharing. I’ve never had curved files, but I think they would be a good investment also. I use the same pictures to locate my files. True story… I have the exact Casio watch, no strap on my desk! It is probably about 25 years old, never had to change the battery, and keeps perfect time. I think I paid $14.95 for it. I’ll try to remember to send you a photo of it. 

1 hour ago, Steve H said:

Hi Greg, I was hoping to hear from you, thanks for sharing. I’ve never had curved files, but I think they would be a good investment also. I use the same pictures to locate my files. True story… I have the exact Casio watch, no strap on my desk! It is probably about 25 years old, never had to change the battery, and keeps perfect time. I think I paid $14.95 for it. I’ll try to remember to send you a photo of it. 

Ha Ha, I’ve had a few of the Casio watches. Never had to change a battery either. I’ve replaced them because I damaged the ears when replacing the bands.

58 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Thanks for the info guys, I will do some more research now. Has anyone used the diamond files? Good quality or cheap? 

I have a cheap set of diamond files from P/A. They come in handy occasionally in tight spots. They are non-directional so you can file on the forward, backward or even sideways strokes. For sprue cutters, I have a cheapo pair from…..P/A again. I did grind the tips down to get into tighter spots. I know some folks rave about their purpose-made hobby nippers, and I don’t doubt that they are nice, but these ones cut great!

A0DAE883-A3D4-4414-A117-164673B0DDC1.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1

I'm not that big of a fan of files.  Only file i own is tamiya for photo etch parts, but I am thinking about getting the micro needle file set from micromark though.  Far as cutters go i own the micro mark pair and godhands(red handle), and cheap pair from hobby lobby.  I cut the part from runner leaving some of the gate still on the part using cheap nippers, than micro mark to cut the gate off, and than godhand for finishing cut.  Barely have to do any sanding if at all.  The thing with god hand nippers is the Blue and red handle versions work as a pair.  You use the red pair for cutting the gate off the part, and than the blue pair for the last cut that's so flush you'd be hard pressed to see where the gate was attached to the part.  This is how they do it in the gunpla world lol.  I keep my nippers oiled up to using sewing machine oil.  Also the blue handle god hand nippers are so delicate that you better never drop them or the tips will break.

Edited by Dpate

For cutters (sprue and others) see this post and the rest of the thread.

As for files,. there are so many different types and sizes/shapes that you really need to chose ones you will want for your specific tasks. Grobet names really good quality files (but they are expesive), and then you have cheap Chinese files you can get from many online sources.

2 hours ago, peteski said:

For cutters (sprue and others) see this post and the rest of the thread.

As for files,. there are so many different types and sizes/shapes that you really need to chose ones you will want for your specific tasks. Grobet names really good quality files (but they are expesive), and then you have cheap Chinese files you can get from many online sources.

Thank you Peter, I had missed that thread. Great info indeed. 

I’ve got my choices narrowed down somewhat now guys. It’s amazing how much more info you get doing a google search with specific tool name (Grobet, Freidrich Dick, etc.) rather than just “needle files” or sprue cutter. So thanks for sharing the names, as some of them I had not heard of. 
I very much appreciate the replies.

For cutters, I just bought the ones you see at HL and they have worked well.  I really don't use files but I do use the small paper nail files that the wife's uses.  I recently bought some small square sanding blocks the HL sells.

I'm really surprised with "I don't use files" or "I don't like files" responses. Really?  IN my hobbies files are just as important of a tool as hobby knife, tweezers or CA glue.  I'm not talking about just smoothing the gate area after cutting the parts off with sprue cutter, I'm talking about using files for lots of tasks. I often have to remove some plastic of some part, or scratchbuld a part by shaping piece of plastic with a file.   I don't see how I would get by not using files.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, peteski said:

I'm really surprised with "I don't use files" or "I don't like files" responses. Really?  IN my hobbies files are just as important of a tool as hobby knife, tweezers or CA glue.  I'm not talking about just smoothing the gate area after cutting the parts off with sprue cutter, I'm talking about using files for lots of tasks. I often have to remove some plastic of some part, or scratchbuld a part by shaping piece of plastic with a file.   I don't see how I would get by not using files.

You don't need a file to smooth the area where the gate has been removed if properly done right with good nippers - than all it takes is good sandpaper ..swipe swipe and buff with 4000 polishing stick, and it's back to fresh original plastic.  I also don't scratch build or do mock ups.  I'm a sandpaper guy, but I am thinking about getting micro files though for certain things.  

33 minutes ago, peteski said:

I’m surprised too. If I am doing anything other than an OOB, my files and my sanding sticks are my most used tools. Then my hobby knife and razor saws.🤓

• Like 1

Sprue cutters are a personal feel type of thing.  I have a number of good quality ones, but the one on the far right is my current favorite.  It is the cheapest looking one with the rather unusual plastic “thingy” for a spring.  It was about $28 and has the unusual name of 3.peaks mk02.

952869F4-BC6F-4D29-859B-AF470F58B0D4.jpeg

15 hours ago, Steve H said:

Has anyone used the diamond files? Good quality or cheap? 

My bad, I forgot as its not used very often. Tamiya half round diamond file for P.E only. Much better using that than regular file.

8oFACWC.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand

I enjoy hearing how everyone does it different. I have several pairs of nippers, Cheap HF one to nicer "Hobby" ones. I also use cheap files. I do a lot of scrach bulding and modifying. I have a rack of Evergreen by my hobby desk. 

I guess my only input would be, know how you use your stuff, how you like to build and buy what fits your style, not what works for someone else.

• Like 1

Hi guys, just thought I would share some of what I found in my tool quest. 
For the files, I went with Glardon Vallorbe Swiss #2 cut, same as Luke’s at top of thread. A VERY close second was the Freidrich Dick files, they look amazing too. The “Grobet Vallorbe” files are “Swiss cut” but apparently not actually Swiss made files, whereas the Glardon are actually Swiss made. German cuts are not the same as Swiss cut, for example, a German #3 cut is equivalent to a Swiss #2 cut. There are many “Swiss cut” files that are not made it Switzerland. The files are expensive, but I personally don’t mind paying top dollar for top quality tools I use all the time. My current set of files are pretty good quality, but I believe they are about 35 years old!! Well past time to replace. Files should arrive tomorrow. I have some rifflers coming, and I also ordered the Tamiya diamond file for PE parts, yep, same as Luke! 
For nippers,I went with Godhand SPN 120. My current ones are fairly good quality but I’m wanting something better. Peter, the video in the link you posted was very helpful, thanks. They are also on the way.

While searching for this information I stumbled upon all kinds of great tools. So…. I have a bunch of new stuff heading my way! What better way to spend money than  on a wonderful hobby, and lifelong passion. It was time to invest on some better quality and new tools. This also led me to build a new shelf/desk organizer for my current and incoming tools. My desk is more organized then it has ever been….. now I just need to figure out where everything is!🤪😱

Thank you all for your input. I hope others find the information here helpful. thanks for sharing, and for taking the time to include photos. Luke, I always appreciate your feedback, and when it comes to hobby tools, you appear to have very good taste sir. Thanks mate!  Greg, my Casio watch has a new home on the desk since I PM’d you.

Cheers, Steve

For my close cutting, I use GodHand SPN-120 cutters. They remind me of the original Tamiya sprue cutters, in both width and sharpness. The Tamiya cutters that you can buy now aren't as nice as the ones I bought 25 years ago, but they work well for cutting up sprues and for larger work. Another brand that works well for close cutting are the Dspaie cutters; not quite as nice as the GodHands, but about 2/3rds of the price.

As for files, I can't remember the manufacturer of mine. The Tamiya Diamond Photo-Etch File has come in handy with those metal parts, and is part of my tool kit.

• Like 1