Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Replica Of My Vintage Race Car

I don't remember when I started this project but it's probably been close to 2 years or more. One way or another, I messed the paint up twice and had to send it back to the pond. So this is my third go at creating a scale replica of my last vintage race car. My avatar is a shot of it from 2003 at Virginia International Raceway. The color is Scale Finishes Acapulco Blue over Tamiya primer. The cage, battery box and dash layout are scratch built as well as the windscreen. The only thing left to do is locate a source for the mirrors and attach them. I've bought a clear case to mount on the front of the original steering wheel when it's done. I'll post more pics when I get to that point. Here's what I've gotten accomplished this time around plus another pic of the 1:1.. It's far from perfect but when you're pushing 80, it is what it is.

20220103_141228.jpg

20220103_141300.jpg

20220103_141342.jpg

Bugeye at VIR 2003.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Replica looks spot on !  Well done. The pic added of a Fiesta is a surprise. I bought a 79 (?) Fiesta Ghia new. It was a pretty cool little car.

In the rain the Fiesta beat the VW Rabbits every time!!!! The Rabbits had us on HP but in the rain they could not get it down......and they tended to go through turns on 3 wheels.

Sorry to get so OT.....but what a fun era. 

2 hours ago, Zippi said:

Man that sure looks sharp.  Gotta be proud of that one.  Nice job.

Thanks! Considering the amount of time, money and effort, it's just about whipped me. Far from perfect, but I'm satisfied with it, so far. The mirrors are fabricated. Just got to paint and install them. So many opportunities to wreck it again. 🤒

9 minutes ago, Dave B said:

That's a great build Tom, I just love the Bugeye look and you have nailed it.  They used to be affordable once, not any more.

Dave B

Thanks, Dave. Yeah, seems like the prices in the classic car market just keep going up with no end in sight. I recall people saying cocaine was an indication that people had too much money. I think that applies to classic cars now. 😂

20 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Is your Austin Healey Sprite made from the little 1/32 scale Airfix kit or is it made in 1/24th scale by someone else? Didn't Gunze make one of these in kit form? Correct me if I am wrong.

I thought it was a 1/25 but I'm thinking it's a 1/24 from Gunze. I think I tossed the original box

Hi Tom,

I registered today for this forum just to reply to your thread.  You have made a very nice model.  I started with the same kit about five years ago to duplicate my old HProd Bugeye.  Virtually done except I bogged down trying to do decals.  Other than that, it was a fun build and is complete with all engine/suspension/undercarriage details including home cast Revolution wheels.  Maybe I will learn how to post pictures some day.

On 1/15/2022 at 12:16 PM, martsky said:

Hi Tom,

I registered today for this forum just to reply to your thread.  You have made a very nice model.  I started with the same kit about five years ago to duplicate my old HProd Bugeye.  Virtually done except I bogged down trying to do decals.  Other than that, it was a fun build and is complete with all engine/suspension/undercarriage details including home cast Revolution wheels.  Maybe I will learn how to post pictures some day.

Sounds like you've gone to a lot more detail work than I did. I'd like to see it.