Model Cars Magazine Forum

Redesigning the rear of a 41 Continental

I have a extra body to play with and never liked the trunk area,since a Zephyer or how ever its spelled was made thinking about putting the trunk area from a 40 Ford coupe on it.  Also thinking about shortening the top and making provisions for quarter windows,anyone ever customize a Continental like that.

20220104_190335.jpg

20220104_190500.jpg

20220104_191325.jpg

I saw one done like that on trak, I think the builder was called crazy swede. It looked good. If you go for it
I'll be watching cos i recently got one of these to do the same thing. Theres some good pics on the deco rides website off the terry cook purple one from the late 90s and i think there was build up pics of it too

11 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

This will most likely be next winters project since I have plenty to do this winter,I am going to gather the parts to do it now.  I have the top from the 50 Ford convertible somewhere and would like to see how it fits.

the top from the linberg lincoln might be a better fit, there enough side material hanging down on it that you should be able to get a good fit without adding plastic to the bottom which you might have to do with the 50 ford top. it looks to have a similar shape too

On 1/9/2022 at 5:24 PM, junkyardjeff said:

Found a 40 standard coupe body for a donor.

Another thought I had for mine was using the decklid from the Revell Street Demons Willys.

Also, I saw this coupe photo which looks very close to a 48 Ford roof.

5076_1.jpg

5076_2.jpg

23 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

.... eliminate some of that real estate from the doors to the rear wheel wells. Too long!

Or make it a 5-window? A little crude, with the limitations in my photo altering program. Second alteration is slightly reduced body length with unaltered roof length. Both lowered just a bit ....

Zephs.jpg.b55a5f6529affbf215f56b6f73b7ffbb.jpg

Edited by Russell C
added second alteration

23 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I would like to make it a Zephyer and it looks like the roof from the 36 coupe might be a good start and with the trunk from a 40 coupe.

Which year Zephyr?

Conversion to a '40-'41 Lincoln from the Monogram Continental would be pretty involved.  Continental front fenders are longer, the cowl moved towards the back and the hood is lower than a Zephyr.  There also is an apron over the running board on the '40s Lincolns.  Illustration below is a '40-'41 convertible.

IIRC there was a resin kit for a Zephyr coupe. 

Lincoln_Zephir%20Conv%20Coupe_1941.jpg

Edited by Brian Austin